Not even close.
- 391 (73.4%)
Almost . . . but didn't
- 26 (4.9%)
Maybe managed halfway
- 51 (9.6%)

Total Members Voted: 530

Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 128

Author Topic: Nethack  (Read 176077 times)

kholhaus

• Bay Watcher
  • Pissed and Inspired
    • View Profile
Re: Nethack
« Reply #765 on: July 12, 2009, 11:54:04 am »

I've played Nothack quite  a few times, and some of it's clones. They're all good overall.

Also, I can get quite lucky with some things in Nethark.
Kholhaus has been inspired recently.
Kholhaus has lost a favorite to tragedy recently.

BloodBeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #766 on: July 12, 2009, 02:01:40 pm »

*takes an opportunity to act like a know-it-all and give advice (without spoilers)*

-Don't level up quickly, leveling is your enemy and will do more harm then good.
-Don't let yourself become burdened
-ALWAYS HAVE AN ESCAPE ROUTE
-Never read a scroll or drink an potion untill you've ruled it out as a bad one This applies more to scrolls then potions. If you do it anyways then lock yourself in a room where nothing can kill you (and drop everything flamable in your inventory if it's a scroll).
-Your pet is one of the most useful tools you will ever have.
-If you kill Izchak the light-store owner, save yourself the horrible death that will surely befall you and quit. You just don't kill Izchak, ever. I had en extinctionist wizard once and the only thing I left alive and unextinct was Izchak.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2009, 02:04:22 pm by BloodBeard »

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #767 on: July 12, 2009, 02:07:30 pm »

It's bad sportsmanship too.  Killing a tribute to someone is uncool.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #768 on: July 12, 2009, 03:56:25 pm »

What happens if you kill Izchak?
Shoes...

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #769 on: July 12, 2009, 04:46:47 pm »

What happens if you kill Izchak?

Don't even talk about it.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #770 on: July 12, 2009, 07:09:22 pm »

*takes an opportunity to act like a know-it-all and give advice (without spoilers)*

-Don't level up quickly, leveling is your enemy and will do more harm then good.
Leveling up is very useful actually, especially in the beginning. Basically, you want to get to over 70 hp as fast as you can, as there isn't a single attack beam that does more than 70 damage (except the wand of death, of course), and having an extra turn to react is incredibly vital.
-Don't let yourself become burdened
Pretty self-explanatory. To be more specific however, being burdened gives you a -1 tohit penalty, makes you fall down stairways, and seriously endangers your life should you fall into water. You can avoid being burdened by: Making tactical use of stashes, using levitation (which increases how much you can carry without being burdened), and polymorphing into monsters which are innately very strong (like Vampire Lords).
-ALWAYS HAVE AN ESCAPE ROUTE
Which depends on how you define an escape route. Having the eye of the aethiopica lets you escape from any creature that isn't a follower (All A, all &, all i, Wraiths, all V, watchmen and soldiers, and Rodney just to name a few off the top of my head.), as does having scrolls or wands of teleportation (wands having the bonus effect of being able to teleport other creatures, even on non-teleport levels, and can't be resisted), Wands of digging (which can be used to carve escape tunnels, or dig straight down to ditch the level entirely), ctrl+t if you have teleportitis and are atleast lvl 12 will allow you to teleport at will (lvl 8 if a wizard) and is doubly effective with telecontrol. Wands of fire/lightning can count, as they can be used to quickly and permanently engrave Elbereth, which can buy you some much needed breathing space. Magicbane/wands of digging are a good also, although only doing a semi-permanent Elbereth in 1 turn. To a lesser extent, potions or other methods of invisibility can help you escape, as creatures can't see you, and thus'll be less likely to give chase.
-Never read a scroll or drink an potion untill you've ruled it out as a bad one This applies more to scrolls then potions. If you do it anyways then lock yourself in a room where nothing can kill you (and drop everything flamable in your inventory if it's a scroll).
Pretty much agree, but if you can afford to not read-test scrolls, or quaff-test potions, wait until you can find a safer way to ID them. Also, never try to read-test spellbooks, ever, unless you're a wizard.
-Your pet is one of the most useful tools you will ever have.
I've ranted about this enough, I think.

Keiseth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #771 on: July 12, 2009, 07:37:58 pm »

My best character made it to sokoban. This was SlashEM, though Archaeologist Doppelganger, neutral. Quickly got three wishes, had a ring of polymorph, amulet of unchanging, etc. Could sit around as a black dragon reliably.

Died due to save file loss or corruption, I still have no idea what happened, but things were getting really promising.

cowofdoom78963

• Bay Watcher
  • check
    • View Profile
« Reply #772 on: July 12, 2009, 08:40:20 pm »

It's bad sportsmanship too.  Killing a tribute to someone is uncool.
Although making the tribute a shopkeeper would seem to be a bad idea.

I just remember someone telling me not to kill him, I dident know why. I thought he was just important to the plot or something. So I never did.

Well at least I know hes the one shopkeeper I never killed.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #773 on: July 12, 2009, 08:43:05 pm »

He is important to the plot in a sense, since he's always guaranteed to appear, and is often the only person selling candles, and 7 candles are required to beat the game.

You can also eat candles, but I don't think anyone uses them for that purpose.

deadlycairn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #774 on: July 12, 2009, 08:56:14 pm »

Whenever I find him, he almost always has less candles than I need. I never get that far anyway, but still. Plus, I've never been strong enough to kill ANY shopkeeper, but I'll remember that for the future.
Quote from: Ampersand
Also, Xom finds people that chug unidentified fluids pleasing.
Quote from: Servant Corps
Ignorance of magic does not give scientists the power to resist fireballs.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #775 on: July 12, 2009, 09:16:21 pm »

Really? I've never encountered him with fewer than 7 candles in his shop. You don't need a stack of 7, you just need 7 total.

deadlycairn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #776 on: July 12, 2009, 09:20:18 pm »

Three times I've found him with 4 candles or less - 4 single candle stacks and two bloody lamps
Quote from: Ampersand
Also, Xom finds people that chug unidentified fluids pleasing.
Quote from: Servant Corps
Ignorance of magic does not give scientists the power to resist fireballs.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #777 on: July 12, 2009, 09:25:29 pm »

You might as well eat them.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #778 on: July 12, 2009, 09:28:48 pm »

Ouch, well, you could wait until the castle, and then wish for them, or you just very well wait until you reach the vibrating square, and see if you have enough from death drops, random spawns, or general stores before you decide to waste a wish on them.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #779 on: July 12, 2009, 11:42:52 pm »

Just a little accomplishment...

Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 128