Not even close.
- 391 (73.4%)
Almost . . . but didn't
- 26 (4.9%)
Maybe managed halfway
- 51 (9.6%)

Total Members Voted: 530

Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 128

Author Topic: Nethack  (Read 176072 times)

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
Re: Nethack
« Reply #750 on: July 09, 2009, 06:25:30 pm »

I think I might ascend within a week or two.  I've been playing Valkyries and I'm at the point where I can consistently get to experience level 10 and usually higher.  It's just the stupid stuff that's getting me now.

PROTIP:  Don't fight a floating eye in melee if there are nymphs nearby, especially if you have a wand of invisibility.  Nothing ruins a promising game like an invisible nymph running around with your entire inventory.
Shoes...

deadlycairn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #751 on: July 09, 2009, 06:46:49 pm »

Yep, Valkyries are the easiest class, followed by Samurais (at least from my experience). I had a similar experience with a samurai and an invisible nymph, except it was a thrown potion of paralysis that did the job.
Quote from: Ampersand
Also, Xom finds people that chug unidentified fluids pleasing.
Quote from: Servant Corps
Ignorance of magic does not give scientists the power to resist fireballs.

deadlycairn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #752 on: July 09, 2009, 07:21:05 pm »

Okay, this is just ridiculous. I just got killed again on a bones level that had 3(!) Ghosts on it, as well as I don't know how many soldier ants and the housecat of one of the ghosts. That means the next time it loads up that level, there will be four ghosts I have to contend with. Its like Nethack doesn't want me getting past that level.

cowofdoom78963

• Bay Watcher
  • check
    • View Profile
« Reply #753 on: July 09, 2009, 08:01:44 pm »

Yep, Valkyries are the easiest class, followed by Samurais (at least from my experience). I had a similar experience with a samurai and an invisible nymph, except it was a thrown potion of paralysis that did the job.
Barbs are easier then both of those in my honest opinion. Poision is alot more common then cold, and samurais dont get anything from the start of great value other then a rust-proof suit. Also they have a utterly useless starting artifact.

Anyway archys seem to be the hardest class of them all, Ive been having so many pains figuring out how to use them effectively. It seems as though their made for half combat/casting. Honestly their so strangly set up their even harder then tourists.

deadlycairn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #754 on: July 09, 2009, 08:14:08 pm »

I haven't actually used barbarians a lot, but you get a feel for what is poisonous and what isnt - and Ive never fallen onto a poisoned spike pit *touch wood*. Mainly samurais are useful for the starting speed, and if you manage to find a longsword, you can dual-wield excalibur and a katana, which owns. I'll try a barbarian now, actually.

cowofdoom78963

• Bay Watcher
  • check
    • View Profile
« Reply #755 on: July 09, 2009, 08:15:25 pm »

Ahh well, Ive had alot of problems with bees and poision in the past. Witch is why I prefer getting poision resistance early.

Jude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #756 on: July 10, 2009, 12:38:34 am »

Oh GOD, this game hates me so much, the RNGod is out to get me, and its a freaking full moon!

Did the game designers intentionally make the game impossible without spoilers? Cause seriously, every time a promising character has died, its been due to me doing something stupid I didn't know about at the time. Like my latest valkyrie, sticking an unidentified wand (of cancellation) inside the bag of holding.

Secondly, bones levels suck. I have had to fight my way through one bones level with TWO seperate ghosts on there, and their pets, then go down the stairs to find ANOTHER bones level. With soldier ants. End of story.

Short list of stupid ways to die: Have every piece of armor you own stolen by a nymph who then teleports away, never to be seen again. Pick up a loadstone before you knew they existed. Put on an unidentified ring in a temple (ring of conflict), try to convert the altar in a temple (ok that one was my bad), and finally, get trapped on d lvl 2 trying to find the stairs down, and despite spending over 500 turns searching, fail to find them.

Note most of these end in slow drawn out deaths, apart from the priest ones. Im like the freaking manual for YASD.
This exemplifies the difference between Nethack and *Band. If you die in *Band (when you die, since you will, all the goddam time) you will know exactly what killed you and why and how to avoid it the next time. (of course, avoiding it the next time will need some degree of luck and having the right gear and not having a monster breathe on you from offscreen or you teleport into a room full of fast-moving paralyzers, but still)
Quote from: Raphite1
I once started with a dwarf that was "belarded by great hanging sacks of fat."

Oh Jesus

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #757 on: July 10, 2009, 01:33:14 am »

Is there a thread for Angband?

cowofdoom78963

• Bay Watcher
  • check
    • View Profile
« Reply #758 on: July 10, 2009, 02:08:02 am »

NOE!!!! I havent even finished nethack yet wait for meeeee!

deadlycairn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #759 on: July 10, 2009, 06:40:20 pm »

Well most of my deaths in Nethack are avoidable, its just that there is so much content (which is what makes the game awesome by the way), that for every stupid death you have, there are four others you haven't discovered yet.

Protip:  Impatience is your enemy.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #760 on: July 10, 2009, 11:03:55 pm »

I ascended again, it was nice. I almost got CREAMED by an Archon on the fire plane, but fortunately, he summoned nasties, which put some distance between us and I managed to get to the portal before he could catch up.

I wasn't so lucky with the High altars this time around, my altar was the last one I checked. Still had finger of death though, so it was a snap. No one had a vorpal blade either.

Spoiler: dumplog abridged (click to show/hide)

Jack_Bread

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% FRESH ♥HIPPO♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #761 on: July 10, 2009, 11:17:03 pm »

DAMN IT, CHAOTIC JOSH! Now I feel like playing NetHack.........................

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #762 on: July 10, 2009, 11:23:25 pm »

Barbs are easier then both of those in my honest opinion. Poision is alot more common then cold, and samurais dont get anything from the start of great value other then a rust-proof suit. Also they have a utterly useless starting artifact.

Barbarians are easy in the early game, but the Barbarian quest artifact is a piece of junk, and the Valkyrie's sac arti(Mjollnir) is better than Cleaver.
Shoes...

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #763 on: July 10, 2009, 11:32:50 pm »

Personally, I think Wizards are the easiest class. They don't have much as much of the early game punch, but with easy access to magicbane, finger of death, polypiling, spellbook reading, hungerless spellcasting, MR, high int, random scroll spelling and the Eye of the aethiopica, they only grow in power exponentially. Plus, they excel in post-pissing-off-Rodney Gehennom, which is really hard for anyone that can't easily resist cursing (which is crippling) and can't reliably nail Rodney everytime he pops up.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #764 on: July 12, 2009, 03:46:11 am »

I found this song about Nethack, surprisingly good:

http://www.partiallyclips.com/filk/nethack/RobBalderDotCom_NetHack.mp3
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 128