Not even close.
- 391 (73.4%)
Almost . . . but didn't
- 26 (4.9%)
Maybe managed halfway
- 51 (9.6%)

Total Members Voted: 530

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 128

Author Topic: Nethack  (Read 176428 times)

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
Re: Nethack
« Reply #75 on: May 02, 2009, 09:13:56 am »

Yay!  I got past one floor of the gnomish mine!  I have a telepathic monk at level 5, and I've gotten hold of all manner of useful tools, including a magic marker.  He also has a spellbook of healing.  This is looking good.

Now if I can just continue to not quaff from sinks and fountains, I should be good.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 02, 2009, 01:50:58 pm »

I tried that dwarven archaeologist, then I got the bright idea to quaff from a fountain, and ended up losing 5 strength. From there I got angry and quit, then I tried another lawful human priest, and I'm doing awesome so far.

Started off with the spells "detect food" and "remove curse", which only come in handy every once in a while.

Found a lawful altar on the first floor, started sacrificing stuff until I finally got a Sunsword out of the deal. I've been using that, and even got up to basic skill. Also found some stuff like a wand of digging and a potion shop. I've been systematically pet-stealing from the potion shop and drinking potions to ascertain the identities of all the potions.

I've been stocking up on a number of daggers and misc. weapons to quickly write long-lasting Elbereth's any time I need to.

Just found a bag of tricks (a bag that can spawn monsters when used) and I'm contemplating hiking back up to the first floor and using the bag in conjunction with sacrificing to try and get more artifacts. Think that'll work?

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 02, 2009, 04:16:14 pm »

Just found a bag of tricks (a bag that can spawn monsters when used) and I'm contemplating hiking back up to the first floor and using the bag in conjunction with sacrificing to try and get more artifacts. Think that'll work?
D:

Man, I had two of the darn things at once one game!  Ach!  Well, anyway, it sounds like it should work.  But, I'm a bit of a newb too.  At least I've broken the addiction to quaffing from fountains though.

Oh, hey look a fountain!  Let me just scoop my hand in there real quick . . .
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 02, 2009, 04:36:36 pm »

I'm not ever touching fountains. Looking at the Wiki page, it seems that there are more negative things that can happen than good things, and the good things aren't even all that good. So it's a pretty bad risk.

Anyway, I forgot to mention I also got fire resistance from eating a gray ooze, sweet.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 02, 2009, 04:53:01 pm »

Anybody else get there ass handed to them by ponies?  Those things are beast.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: May 02, 2009, 05:08:44 pm »

If your a class that starts with carrots or apples or you find any, then throwing those at ponies will automatically tame them, and they will become your pets. I had an army of ponies in one run.

Tripe rations work too, but they only pacify them instead of taming them. They don't eat the ration however, so you can reuse it over and over apparently.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 02, 2009, 06:15:48 pm »

Tripe rations work too, but they only pacify them instead of taming them. They don't eat the ration however, so you can reuse it over and over apparently.
Nice!

I had actually read the wiki about fountains long before breaking my addiction to quaffing them, though.  ;D
Just so I remember

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 02, 2009, 08:35:30 pm »

Anyway, I had a really good run with an Elf Ranger and a lawful human priest, got to dungeon level FOUR! Is there any way to check your pet's stats?

The best way is to use a stethoscope. It's quite rare, so you need luck to find one. Healers start with one, but they have plenty of other problems for new players. Sometimes hardware stores will carry one.

Stand next to your pet and [a]pply stethoscope towards it, and you will get its HP, AC and status. You can use it once for free each turn. If you use it twice than it will use up your turn. You can apply a stethoscope for many effects... experiment!

But most of us won't have one. So the easier but less accurate test is to #chat with your pet. If it's a horse you're riding, chat downwards (>). Your pet will give you a sound... pet at different status (e.g. hurt, hungry) will give a different sound. Take notes and experiment.

"Bad kitty! Stop moving ahead and eating my corpses! My corpses!"

Carnivorous pets eat everything in sight if you let them. They still need to kill, then move onto the square to eat the corpse though, so if your character is fast, you have a chance to snatch the corpse first.

If you are fast (or very fast), the turn counter doesn't move at every key press... essentially, you get a free turn at regular intervals. Pay attention to the turn counter.

Some characters (like Valkyrie) become fast as they level up. Some needs items, e.g. boots of speed, potion of speed, haste self speed and wand of speed monster. Corpse of a specific higher level monster (I don't want to spoil it) will also give you speed.

"goddamn you stone to flesh! Work already!"

Pretty much all spellcasters start with a second spell they don't have much chance to use, due to spell failure and insufficient MP. Level up a bit should do it.

"Why does it seem like everything moves faster than me?"

Those four legged or six legged menaces (rothes, ants) are fast and come in a group. If you can't run, hide! Stay in a corridor and put your pet in front of you.

"God! Where are all these monsters coming from? I'd swear I killed them all!"

Monsters spawn all the time. It's good we have them or we might starve on return trips.

"A towel AND a brass lantern? SWEET!"

Towel is a nod to a famous sci-fi book...

"Finally got stone to flesh to work! Now I have a huge hunk of meat! *Kitty runs in and eats it* GODDAMMIT BAD KITTY!"

Huge chunk of meat is no good... unless you are already starving, you might choke to death eating it, and it's very heavy. Find a pickaxe and break it apart before using stone to flesh. You get a pile of meatballs which you can use as treats to train your pet, plus I think a pet can only eat one at a time.

"I just found this whistle and... sweet! magic whistle!"

Indeed! Nothing pleases a healer more than finding one early on.

"I have all these potions/scrolls and I don't know what they do, I'd save them for a desperation move but I get raped too fast to find out!"

You can drop your item in a shop (then say no to "sell it?" prompt) to check its price. Identify scrolls are among the cheapest scrolls, and *usually* most common. The cheapest scrolls, when uncursed, are harmless anyway.

Actual price varies according to your charisma, and that if you are a tourist, or have T-shirt worn without cloak/armor to cover it (so you look like a tourist). :D So bring lots of scrolls and compare.

"I wish I knew my prayer timeout so Mars would stop getting angry at me already!"

Try the #offer command at your god's altar. A wand/scroll of enlightenment also works.

Typically for a new character, it's safe to pray every 600 turns or so. As you level up it takes longer.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2009, 08:37:07 pm by kcwong »

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 03, 2009, 02:31:56 am »

I think the best advice you can heed is to never rush into things. It's a turn-based game, so always take your time. Retreating is always better than dying so if you feel even the slightest bit threatened, always run. Never feel like you really, really need an item or stat up or something because this game, given time, will always give you everything you need. One way or another.

So take your time and plan your moves.

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 03, 2009, 05:08:24 am »

The second best advice is to practice throwing daggers.

Unless your character class is restricted in dagger (i.e. untrained and cannot be further improved), you always have something to gain from throwing daggers.

Pros:
1. Many monsters do not have a ranged attack. So by keeping the distance and throwing daggers, you can harm them while they can't harm you. Even if they are faster, you can soften them up.

2. If you can improve your dagger skill, you have a chance to throw more than one dagger per turn. At expert skill level you throw three.

3. If you are an orc, you have a chance to throw an additional orcish (i.e. crude) dagger. If you are an elf, you have a chance to throw an additional elven (i.e. runed) dagger.

4. A stack of elven daggers is best for this purpose. Elven daggers can be highly enchanted, for they give you a warning if you are about to over-enchant them.

5. Exception to 4. is when you're fighting stuff that makes wood rot (i.e. some types of puddings).

6. A stack of highly enchanted daggers actually do slightly more damage than most artifact weapons (except for some specific enemies which artifacts have advantage over). Plus they cannot hit back.

7. Daggers don't disappear like other ammo.

Cons:
1. Daggers are heavy.

2. Some character class might need time to collect a stack of daggers to throw.

3. You have to pick them up after use.

4. You have to watch where you're throwing. You don't want your daggers end up at the bottom of water or lava, or hit that peaceful and powerful shopkeeper or mine town captain.

TheToeBighter98

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: May 03, 2009, 07:12:27 am »

I have three cautionary tales to help advise you new players, if your interested. Mostly, their just tales of YASD (Yet Another Stupid Death) I encountered.

Starting with my Eleven Ranger, I was stuck in a room with no doors. Spent some time finding the way out, was ambushed by a pack of monsters when I found the secret passage. Defeated them, then ate the remains for nutrition. Died from food poisoning.

The other tale is... embarrassing. I was a Human Rogue, who was somewhat hurt from pesky monsters. Took out frustration on stone. Broke my foot, and killed self while doing that. Jeez, makes food poisoning look good.

My third character was a Male Wizard, who was actually good! While exploring the Gnomish Mines and massacring groups of gnomes and strangely enough, ants and killer bees, my mana was down and I had a cursed ring equipped. Wasted mana regen on trying to remove that ring, constantly being ambushed, stupidly choosing to not waste food on Ring of Regeneration.

But it was that damn trapdoor, which dropped me down from the safety of the staircase and brought me to the kobald shaman who summoned a army of monsters around me when he died. I died trying to take as many of them with me.

It was only after that that I realized I could have engraved a safety spot to save myself.

Damn you NetHack, why do you kill the ones I love?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: May 03, 2009, 07:41:52 am »

Nethack is a Masocistic lover (or is it Sanocistic?). It gives pleasurable pain.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: May 03, 2009, 08:49:36 am »

Like DF.

I just lost a Valkyrie to a cockatrice.  I killed it first, but I forgot I didn't have gloves and picked it up.
Just so I remember

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: May 03, 2009, 02:03:01 pm »

Nethack is a Masocistic lover (or is it Sanocistic?). It gives pleasurable pain.
Sadistic. We are Masochistic lover's of the sadistic Nethack.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: May 03, 2009, 02:17:09 pm »

Sweet, I tried the bag of tricks/sacrifice thing I told you about, and got Grayswandir! The wiki says it's a very good weapon.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 128