Not even close.
- 391 (73.4%)
Almost . . . but didn't
- 26 (4.9%)
Maybe managed halfway
- 51 (9.6%)

Total Members Voted: 530

Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51 ... 128

Author Topic: Nethack  (Read 176094 times)

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Nethack
« Reply #720 on: July 02, 2009, 03:35:11 am »

I started my samurai back up again, the really awesome one. Went down, killed all the Aleax's and Angels I could find (as there were a surprising number that randomly generated) and I finally found an uncursed shield of reflection off an angel! So that's MR and Reflection. I stoned Medusa, went to the castle, and I wanted to try something out, but ended up doing something DOUBLE stupid instead...

Remember that ring of polymorph control I had? I took off all my armor, busted the drawbridge with a wand of striking, put on my ring of poly control then ate one of my tinned chameleons, and turned into a black dragon.

"Yay! Disintegration breath! I can blast the assholes across the moat with impunity!"

Then I realize that breath attacks require a good deal of energy. Energy which I don't have alot of. So I end up waiting on the other side of the moat for a nice bit of time waiting for my energy to refill and it JUST SO HAPPENS that one of the soldiers has a wand of lightning! ZAP, my ring of poly control explodes! DAMMIT! That was valuable...

Slugging my way into the castle the old fashioned way. I finally turn back into a human, I nick some scales from the guaranteed dragons (GRAY dragon scales, even though it doesn't matter with my sceptre of might), and I get nothing from the throne (you always have to hope...), and I get my wand of wishing.

First wish, 2 blessed scrolls of charging, I get 1, fine. Second wish, I want another ring of poly control to replace the one that broke, so I, like a dumbass, type "Blessed Greased fixed ring of of polymorph control"... apparently my thoughts freaking stutter...

I end up getting a crappy ring of gain constitution instead (as it gives you a random ring if it can't decipher what you said), and I use the remainder of my wishes for ring of poly control, ring of poly, amulet of unchanging, and a blessed magic marker. That's all my wishes, I hopefully won't need any more.

Writing three blessed scrolls of genocide, I geno ; and c, and I'm saving the third one for a rainy day. I then write a blessed scroll of enchant armor and I upgrade my scales to scale mail!

Then I poly into a Vampire Lord (I really love the guys), lock it in, and I head into Gehennom with something like -37 AC.

Of course, the very first thing I find is another ring of polymorph control, just lying on the ground...

I'm currently just past Asmodeus' lair (gave the guy some money this time around) and I just killed Juiblex and am heading towards Bealzebub.

Don't worry Kc, I'll ascend enough times for both of us.

Quincunx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #721 on: July 02, 2009, 08:22:14 am »

Speaking of polymorphing into a black dragon, have you seen this?

Nightshade the immortal Black Dragon:
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.games.roguelike.nethack/msg/8d5da2a4761b19a7

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #722 on: July 02, 2009, 12:27:18 pm »

Now that's just a -touching- story!
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Floirt

• Bay Watcher
  • OMIGODJCABOMB!
    • View Profile
« Reply #723 on: July 02, 2009, 12:44:48 pm »

Hey, I wanted to get into NetHack, because the first few times I played I didn't really know what to do. But unfortunately, I can't find it ANYWHERE to download. The main site's mirror seems to be down. And I've googled the internet to no avail. Help?
Quote from: HellMOO
Fat Ratzo [to Floirt]: I got a package here goin' to Roy Poorman, out in the afterworld.  $120 when you make the delivery.  And hurry!
No, not commiting suicide, sorry.   ...Through that money is rather tempting...

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #724 on: July 02, 2009, 03:04:51 pm »

Let's see Floirt, the mirror works just fine with me.

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #725 on: July 02, 2009, 03:06:29 pm »

You could just play it on the alt.org server.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

Quincunx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #726 on: July 02, 2009, 08:27:45 pm »

I mainly use the alt.org NetHack server.

http://www.alt.org/nethack/

You just telnet to nethack.alt.org or use their applet:
http://www.alt.org/nethack/jta/

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #727 on: July 03, 2009, 03:09:32 am »

Heh....

I managed to escape that situation, but both without the amulet, and with most of my inventory cursed. I need to go back and kill them both.

Goddamn is Rodney a mean bastard when I don't have as many wand of death charges as I want. He'll curse your inventory 10 times and he never lets up.

I used a confused scroll of teleport to get out of Gehennom to regroup before I tackle Rodney (who has MY amulet) and Demogorgon.

He's popping up VERY often, too often.

Fingers crossed guys, I hope I can win.

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #728 on: July 03, 2009, 09:02:00 am »

My neutral human wizard has done Sokoban (got BoH), and is now in the mines beyond mine town.

A poly trap turned my pets into a hell hound pup and green naga hatchling. The other is a hill orc, which got killed earlier.

But what worked for me works for monsters as well, so in the next level I found myself fighting a vampire lord... with AC 3, 73 HP and 100 MP, 3 elven daggers and only force bolt.

My pets are of no help here, because they are the young versions and hurt. Naga has 23 max HP, hell hound has 54 or so. I managed to finger E-word and force bolt the vampire lord (and some pesky gnomes) to final death, but then I'm almost out of MP.

Then come *another* vampire lord, equipped with a wand of teleport. He used it, so I discovered I got one too. And while I was taking care of more gnomes, there came an orange dragon. A zap! And I awoke with 8 HP left. Some frantic E-words and stethoscope checking later, I found my pets each had just a few HP left. I used my wand of fire to burn E-word, and tried to fight the dragon and vampire lord a bit... to no effect, because I'm out of MP soon after.

And that's when an adult purple worm came into view (thank RNGod that section is not dark).

I told RNGod "Enough is enough" and whipped out my wand of teleport, sent the monsters away, and led my pets back upstairs. Green naga didn't make it... she turned into purple worm chow.

A few more /oT zaps later, hell hound pup made it back up with me, to the level with a poly trap under a boulder. And then a gnome king appeared, who promptly killed my hell hound puppy. I force-bolted the gnome to a pulp.

Then I remembered I got a wand that dust... so I zapped it towards my hell hound pup's corpse... it really is a wand of turn undead. A white unicorn conveniently popped up next to us, and now I have an adult hell hound!

Still, it's no match for a vampire lord + purple worm + orange dragon. Looks like I'll have to live without a luckstone for now.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #729 on: July 03, 2009, 02:33:26 pm »

Why would you settle on such weak monsters for pets? You could've kept trying with that poly trap until you hit a dragon, titan, a lich, a mind flayer, or anything that's better than a hellhound pup!

Did you altar camp for magicbane yet?

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #730 on: July 03, 2009, 02:37:23 pm »

Oh crap, you are VERY close to the end Josh... Um... Good luck?

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #731 on: July 03, 2009, 02:40:39 pm »

Sniper Joe, is that you? Why'd you change your screenname? I thought you were a new user when it dawned on me that you were Sniper Joe!

I beat the the game already, I just have to beat Demogorgon now, luckily, I have some great advice from the guys on IRC.

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #732 on: July 03, 2009, 07:03:34 pm »

YAY! Josh did it! Whoo!

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #733 on: July 04, 2009, 12:53:31 am »

I finally did it guys! I finally ascended! It was great!

I took a bunch of pictures of my final stats, given that I don't have a dumplog, so I'll show you my final stats.

Gehennom was nice, provided that I had to kill a lot of stuff that stood no chance against me. Vlad was easy, as the rumors told.

Wizard of Yendor never got a single action off on me, as I zapped him with one of my Wands of Death each time he appeared.

Those priests are tough! Even with conflict, I was just slugging it out with them for like 10 minutes.

I got pulled down a good couple times, but I finally made it out of Gehennom with the Amulet.

The planes weren't that hard, with conflict and confused gold detection, I only need to find the portal, and run there as fast as I could while making sure I don't miss anything vital in all the mountains of spam.

Astral Plane was a trip. Up until that point I had gone through Gehennom and up the planes as a Vampire Lord. Nothing really posed a threat. I took the path that Death was on first, and he almost OHKO's me! Fortunately, I remembered to take off my amulet of unchanging, and his next hit knocks me back to human-hood. He had surprisingly little HP, so a few good whacks knocked him out and I slowly make my through the crowds of enemies (and Death zapping a crazy barbarian that had a +8 vorpal blade!) only to find that it was the wrong altar. Making my way back (and using confused create monster to acid blob up the path), I took another path, this time with Famine, and quickly wand of death'd a path for myself, and got through, and found my Altar!

Results:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Yay!

Sofia missed it apparently.

Quincunx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #734 on: July 04, 2009, 12:54:20 am »

---------
                                   |.......|
            -----                  |.......|
             ...|                  |..._.).|
     ---------..--   ---           |.....[.|
     |.......|...-- --          |  |..[[...|  |
     |..Aww..|4...---           |. ----.---- .|
     |..w@w..[.D@..-      [$    |.............|
     |..@ww..|..).---    ) $    ---.........---
     |.......|...-- --$           -----|-----
     ---------..--   ----|---     --
            ....|      |   --------)   /     -----
           ------      |  %      |)$         |
                       -------   --$ % $!   --   -
                             |    --     $ --    |
                             ---   ----|----   ---
                               |     % %   %   |
                               -----------------

Seahorse the Heroine St:18/** Dx:18 Co:18 In:12 Wi:17 Ch:12 Lawful S:1806292
Astral Plane $:2  HP:197(197) Pw:67(67) AC:-37 Xp:23/30029224 T:54462

I tried out the army of purple worms strategy... Wished for 2 cursed scrolls of genocide, created a ton of purple worms, wrote a couple scrolls of taming, confused myself, then tamed all that I could and flung them away with wands of teleportation.  Soon I began to hear some "Burrrrps!".  I waited a bit, then enjoyed a very clear path to the altar.  Actually, it took two tries to get the correct altar.  But that didn't bother me too much.  Purple worms are the best monsters ever.

Two down (tourist, valkyrie), 11 classes to go!
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51 ... 128