Not even close.
- 391 (73.4%)
Almost . . . but didn't
- 26 (4.9%)
Maybe managed halfway
- 51 (9.6%)

Total Members Voted: 530

Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 128

Author Topic: Nethack  (Read 176233 times)

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Nethack
« Reply #525 on: June 19, 2009, 08:35:31 pm »

Wait! If you anger a shopkeeper, then start a character with the same name, the shopkeeper'll remember your name and still be angry?!

What do you name your characters anyway?

cowofdoom78963

• Bay Watcher
  • check
    • View Profile
« Reply #526 on: June 19, 2009, 09:20:15 pm »

Wait! If you anger a shopkeeper, then start a character with the same name, the shopkeeper'll remember your name and still be angry?!
Nope, I dont know where you guys got this idea...

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #527 on: June 20, 2009, 03:35:26 am »

Nope, I dont know where you guys got this idea...

Wikihack doesn't contain everything there is to know about Nethack... not yet, anyway. ;)

http://steelypips.org/nethack/shopping.html#stealing
If you die on a shop level with an angry shopkeeper and leave a bones file, the shopkeeper will be returned to his shop. If you then hit the bones file in another game with the same character name, the shopkeeper will remain angry. If you pick up the bones file with another character name, the shopkeeper is no longer angry but still remembers he was robbed.

For a while I kept making male characters called "Bob". My friends said my Bob's are doomed right from the start, and well, they're correct. These Bob's tend to die within 2-3 real life days. :P

cowofdoom78963

• Bay Watcher
  • check
    • View Profile
« Reply #528 on: June 20, 2009, 03:55:50 am »

I never use wikihack(as I tend to avoid spoilers)...

Well I cant say I like the sound of that, at least I rarely tend to kill shop keepers.

I usualy let my pets handle that.

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #529 on: June 20, 2009, 05:46:01 am »

My Valkyrie is still alive... *knocks on wood*

She used 3 more wishes - uncursed magic marker, blessed fixed ring of conflict (I found another soon after), and 2 blessed scrolls of charging (wrested the last charge). One wand of wish left.

With that I wrote 4 enchant armor scrolls, creating a suit of grey dragon scale armor. I switched to it from my silver one, because I want to swap my cloak of protection for a robe.

I worn an amulet of reflection (found in Genhennom) and kept shield of reflection ready. I am dual-wielding Excalibur with silver saber right now, but I'd keep my backup plan of an amulet of life-saving and shield of reflection.

I've located the vibrating square on level 48... burned E-word and marked it with an iron chain. The way to level 1 is clear and dug.

Now I've reached as far as my best character, an elven wizard... from this point forward, I'll be experiencing new game content.

I think I'll have a better chance if I go back to my camp (DL9) and perform my last polypile... because I only have 1 wand of death. I'll also need to make more blessed potions, and curse my potions of gain levels (already have cursed water). IIRC I'll also need to write more scrolls, to detect the portal on the planes.

Very excited, and a bit scared too... :)

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #530 on: June 20, 2009, 08:35:18 am »

Wow, so before you do the invocation ritual, you're digging out the shortest path between the down stairs and the up stairs so the run is very short? I never thought of that.

Good luck man!

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #531 on: June 20, 2009, 01:32:19 pm »

You're way better prepared than I was, that's for sure.

From this point on till reaching the amulet should be a piece of cake for you. After that is when the fun starts. Well, except the room where the amulet is stored is a bit tricky as well.

Quincunx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #532 on: June 20, 2009, 09:04:00 pm »

Good luck!  You've reached the most exciting and exhilarating part of the game.  I hope you make it.  Don't forget to watch your HP!

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #533 on: June 20, 2009, 09:06:30 pm »

Good luck! Remember that failing now will stick with you forever!
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

cowofdoom78963

• Bay Watcher
  • check
    • View Profile
« Reply #534 on: June 20, 2009, 09:28:23 pm »

I dont really know what happens that far into the game, so I guess all I can say is good luck.

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #535 on: June 20, 2009, 11:13:33 pm »

Thanks everyone! I'll try not to die. Notes to self: take a deep breath, take a deep breath. Keep an eye on the status bar. Read every single message. Even with conflict.

Wow, so before you do the invocation ritual, you're digging out the shortest path between the down stairs and the up stairs so the run is very short? I never thought of that.

Yeah, I always do that after I found a pickaxe. After I cleared the level, I'll dig a direct route from downstairs to upstairs, and leaving it as straight as possible to ensure if surrounded I will only be fighting two monsters at once. For those pesky levels with undiggable walls, I intend to use a cursed potion of gain level.

Of course, I never have a real use for a shortest path before... :P

cowofdoom78963

• Bay Watcher
  • check
    • View Profile
« Reply #536 on: June 20, 2009, 11:26:39 pm »

levels with undiggable walls, I intend to use a cursed potion of gain level.
Huh?

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #537 on: June 20, 2009, 11:36:25 pm »

Update us on your progress, Kc as soon as you can, let us know if you make it!

I started up the Samurai I abandoned so very long ago. The one where I started complaining about shurikans being breakable, remember that? Anyway, long story short:

Got a longsword, went around to the various fountains until I finally got excalibur, found a bunch of rings, went to Minetown, found a magic lamp, did Sokoban, got Bag of Holding, went to get all my stuff blessed, used some blessed scrolls of identify in conjunction with a book store and all my accumulated scrolls to try to ID as much stuff as possible (but didn't get the lucky enough to land on the "identify all"!), however, I managed to ID a ring, which happened to be a ring of polymorph control, then I finally blessed my magic lamp and wished for a blessed greased fixed +2 sceptre of might (Magic resistance when carried AND free hungerless conflict all the time!), then I found a scroll of Genocide in one of the Minetown shops, got it blessed and then nuked all L's, then got the Luckstone, somehow found all the right things to eat to get resistance to fire, ice, electricity, sleep, and poison, Then got both the invisible and see invisible intrinsics, then with my ring of polymorph control I find out that quaffing from sinks is really cool (let me put it this way, with a unicorn horn, and when wearing a ring of polymorph control, you're pretty safe, and I got a free polymorph out of deal, being a Vampire Lord is AWESOME!), I found and killed a chameleon, which I then tinned, so now I have a free polymorph whenever I need it, then I found ANOTHER scroll of genocide, which I blessed and used to knock out all h's (poor hobbits!). My biggest concern right now is getting some reflection and a source of levitation.

And cowofdoom, a cursed potion of gain level will, instead of making you lvl up, will send you straight through the ceiling to the next Dungeon level.

cowofdoom78963

• Bay Watcher
  • check
    • View Profile
« Reply #538 on: June 20, 2009, 11:59:18 pm »

And cowofdoom, a cursed potion of gain level will, instead of making you lvl up, will send you straight through the ceiling to the next Dungeon level.
Im afraid I dont see the logic here.

Anyway starting another tourist, this time Im gonna win!

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #539 on: June 21, 2009, 12:05:34 am »

Im afraid I dont see the logic here.

Anyway starting another tourist, this time Im gonna win!

I'm not explaining the joke Cowofdoom!

When you get to a decent level, and find a sink, my advice is to start kicking it! One of the outcomes of kicking a sink is summoning a foocubus. Tourist's start with very high charisma, and the success rate of foocubus chatting is dependant on charisma! Using foocubus dancing, you can power up your tourist very quickly.

Make sure to hide all your gold in a bag or something though, so the demon doesn't make off with all your gold!
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 128