Not even close.
- 391 (73.4%)
Almost . . . but didn't
- 26 (4.9%)
Maybe managed halfway
- 51 (9.6%)

Total Members Voted: 530

Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 128

Author Topic: Nethack  (Read 176234 times)

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
Re: Nethack
« Reply #495 on: June 18, 2009, 02:37:30 pm »

You might want to consider saving those enchant weapon scrolls for another weapon though. Fire brand isn't all that useful and there are way more enemies resistant to fire than there are to plain ol' whacking.

cowofdoom78963

• Bay Watcher
  • check
    • View Profile
« Reply #496 on: June 18, 2009, 03:52:32 pm »

Ahh, I remember when I fell in a pit while holding my cock...

Not fun. But anyway I've been having pretty epic tourist runs recently. They either have uncanny luck or I was blessed by the RNG that day.

For example is it normal for tourists to find +2 +3 Items just lieing around?!(of course once I found a -3 ringmail  :-X)

Not only that but once I came across a HUGE scroll shop. Filled with blessed identify scrolls. And I used these to identify practicaly every scroll in the game. And I even had a few left over.

Fire brand isn't all that useful and there are way more enemies resistant to fire than there are to plain ol' whacking.
But your sure to look bad ass carrying it. In anycase frost band is better, lots of enemys are weak against ice...

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #497 on: June 18, 2009, 08:11:58 pm »

For example is it normal for tourists to find +2 +3 Items just lieing around?!(of course once I found a -3 ringmail  :-X)

It is. I've found a +3 elven cloak and a +5 elven dagger in my current valkyrie game. So try out all the non-cursed armors you found... it will be worth it.

Not only that but once I came across a HUGE scroll shop. Filled with blessed identify scrolls. And I used these to identify practicaly every scroll in the game. And I even had a few left over.

The shop generation code hates book and accessory shops. If they got generated with a size too large, they will be converted into general shops.

Fire brand isn't all that useful and there are way more enemies resistant to fire than there are to plain ol' whacking.
But your sure to look bad ass carrying it. In anycase frost band is better, lots of enemys are weak against ice...
[/quote]

And many artifact weapons carry a bad side effect...

Firebrand - destroys potions, scrolls and books
Frostbrand - destroys potions
Mjollnir - destroys rings and wands
Stormbringer - hits peacefuls without confirmation
Excalibur - Monsters know your position

cowofdoom78963

• Bay Watcher
  • check
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: June 18, 2009, 08:25:28 pm »

It is. I've found a +3 elven cloak and a +5 elven dagger in my current valkyrie game. So try out all the non-cursed armors you found... it will be worth it.
On a regular basis? Every tourist game I've played every other armour I pick up has +2 to +3.

If they got generated with a size too large, they will be converted into general shops.
Yes, I've recognised this is a pretty rare event. Seeing how I never see large scroll shops. As a matter of fact I rarely see them at all. I guess this explains it.

Most of the best ones do. But I barley notice usualy. :-\

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #499 on: June 18, 2009, 09:14:01 pm »

On a regular basis? Every tourist game I've played every other armour I pick up has +2 to +3.

Enchanted armors and weapons are pretty common. Hence it is recommended to try all non-cursed ones. Armor enchantment will self-identify; weapons will take an ID scroll to know for certain, but you can use other methods:
- Stacking (with BUC status known)
- Stethoscope (to check monster health decrease)
- Comparing observed to-hit chance and damage output with your other weapons

Most of the best ones do. But I barley notice usualy. :-\
[/quote]

Destroying item is bad... you never know what they are carrying. That pile of ash or ice fragments could be your ring of conflict or scroll of genocide.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #500 on: June 18, 2009, 09:51:31 pm »

My Orc Rogue is doing pretty damn good. Now that I've completed Sokoban and gotten a Bag of Holding, used a potion of holy water I found to bless it good.

I found a PAIR of succubi, and have been dancing with them, and powered my way to level 13 and 18 strength, dexterity, and constitution. I named them Fiona and Diane in order to keep track of which one I should be sleeping with.

Found a neutral altar, managed to convert it to Chaotic, which caused the previous god to send a Minion after me, a special water elemental. He was no match for my Firebrand, but it was really interesting cause it never happened to me before.

Then I took all the useless spare potions I found, fountain-tricked them to water, blessed them (and got my Firebrand blessed as a consequence of praying), and I blessed the magic marker I've been lugging around all this time. I wrote a blessed scroll of identify, and managed to get ALL my possessions ID'd, which includes a good number of scrolls and rings, nothing of REAL interest though.

I still don't have reflection or magic resistance though, and I've devised a way to cheat Medusa out of free reflection. Get to her special level, dig through so you're below it, find the staircase up, put on blindfold, go up the staircase, GRAB the statue of perseus, go down the staircase, then set the statue and break it, hope to god he was carrying a shield of reflection. If not, then I'll just need to stab her with pointy things the hard way.

If such a plan worked, I'd only need to waste any potential wishes on gray dragon scale mail for magic resistance, cause I want to save up and hopefully get Grayswandir, which I can get because it's unintelligent, and thus won't evade my grasp. Rogues can get to skilled in Saber, so Grayswandir'd be a valuable asset, especially since chaotic characters have such a crappy selection of artifacts to choose from.

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #501 on: June 18, 2009, 10:00:08 pm »

What was special about the water elemental?

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #502 on: June 18, 2009, 10:03:32 pm »

Seemingly nothing, but it had the name "Minion Water Elemental of Mog" or something to that effect.

cowofdoom78963

• Bay Watcher
  • check
    • View Profile
« Reply #503 on: June 18, 2009, 10:13:00 pm »

Seemingly nothing, but it had the name "Minion Water Elemental of Mog" or something to that effect.
I think their more powerful.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #504 on: June 18, 2009, 10:50:34 pm »

You might want to consider wishing for the wizard quest artifact. It would make travelling (teleport everywhere!!!) much easier and it has "half spell damage, magic resistance, and fast power regeneration".

Would suit your needs, no? I think it's the best thing you can get in the game though its utility is halved once you get your hands on the amulet.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #505 on: June 18, 2009, 11:09:20 pm »

The eye of the aethiopica is what you're thinking of, and I don't think that'd work. Being both a rogue and chaotic, and the Eye of the aethiopica being neutral and specifically meant for wizards, it'll evade my grasp and would be a waste of a wish.

When wishing for other role's quest artifacts, there's only two choices for chaotic characters: the master key of thievery and the bow of Diana. The bow of diana is really only useful for Rangers, and I can't wish for the Master Key of thievery because it's my quest artifact.

Now, I COULD wish for Frostbrand, or any of the Banes, because they're unaligned and thus are good for everybody. Too bad they're all crappy, with the possible exception of Frostbrand, but why get Frostbrand when I can get Grayswandir?

Quincunx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #506 on: June 18, 2009, 11:17:41 pm »

What was special about the water elemental?

Nothing.  The minion was effectively the same as any other water elemental.

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #507 on: June 18, 2009, 11:42:03 pm »

The eye of the aethiopica is what you're thinking of, and I don't think that'd work. Being both a rogue and chaotic, and the Eye of the aethiopica being neutral and specifically meant for wizards, it'll evade my grasp and would be a waste of a wish.

When wishing for other role's quest artifacts, there's only two choices for chaotic characters: the master key of thievery and the bow of Diana. The bow of diana is really only useful for Rangers, and I can't wish for the Master Key of thievery because it's my quest artifact.

Now, I COULD wish for Frostbrand, or any of the Banes, because they're unaligned and thus are good for everybody. Too bad they're all crappy, with the possible exception of Frostbrand, but why get Frostbrand when I can get Grayswandir?

Chaotics indeed get the short stick for artifacts... but they don't get dragged down by the mysterious force when fleeing with the amulet, and that can be a pretty big boon.

Neutrals have a wide range of choice, but they can't really depend on your god giving you the one you wanted and thus must wish for it before too much artifacts are generated..

Lawfuls get easy Excalibur but have to face the mysterious force in full.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #508 on: June 18, 2009, 11:44:54 pm »

Heh, strange. My eye was chaotic, so maybe that's why I got confused. In any case, you're also partially wrong in that the only class that can't wish for the eye are wizards.

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #509 on: June 19, 2009, 12:06:38 am »

Heh, strange. My eye was chaotic, so maybe that's why I got confused. In any case, you're also partially wrong in that the only class that can't wish for the eye are wizards.

The eye's altered to match your alignment.
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 128