Not even close.
- 391 (73.4%)
Almost . . . but didn't
- 26 (4.9%)
Maybe managed halfway
- 51 (9.6%)

Total Members Voted: 530

Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 128

Author Topic: Nethack  (Read 176255 times)

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Nethack
« Reply #480 on: June 18, 2009, 08:35:06 am »

NEVER MIND! Damn pits and damn cockatrice corpses. I'm NEVER EVER EVER touching one again. I shoulda just cheated and made a backup of my save. So many hours lost in a damn instant.

*pat on back* I've been through that before too.

Make use of the "x" switch command when using rubber chicken. Move only after you've set the chicken as your secondary weapon (not wielded).

You don't want cockatrice corpses lying around - monsters that can wield it will do so, and it's insta-death for you, no chance to eat lizard or drink acid.

If you don't have gloves on, then you need to guard that spot and leave that level until it rots. Standing on it is bad idea as you might be blinded. With boots you can kick it into a pit and bury it with a boulder. Burning E-word then pushing a boulder over is another way.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #481 on: June 18, 2009, 08:41:03 am »

Is there any chance of me getting my stuff back in a bones file? I'm not sure the level I died on was a bones level, and I can't find anything in the wiki. It looked like a maze, and it was right underneath Medusa's Island.

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #482 on: June 18, 2009, 08:45:00 am »

Is there any chance of me getting my stuff back in a bones file? I'm not sure the level I died on was a bones level, and I can't find anything in the wiki. It looked like a maze, and it was right underneath Medusa's Island.

I've read somewhere that you have 1/3 chance to leave bones on levels that allow bones; and 1/3 chance to load bones on a new level.

Many special levels do not allow bones, but the generic maze between medusa and castle should allow it.

Levels that do not allow bones

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #483 on: June 18, 2009, 08:51:00 am »

Alteast I know now not to mess around with Cockatrices. Gotta take'em seriously.

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #484 on: June 18, 2009, 08:53:22 am »

Nymphs too. They can steal your gloves while you're wielding a rubber chicken.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #485 on: June 18, 2009, 08:56:06 am »

I've already developed the "OH SHIT! NYMPH! THROW DAGGERS!" reflex, but thank you very much for the advice.

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #486 on: June 18, 2009, 09:35:48 am »

The most nasty situation is a sleeping nymph... you spot her with telepathy, decided she isn't a real threat.

Then an arch-lich appeared, summoned nasties around you, and alerted all monsters of your location. That's when the nymph jumps in and does her thing... say, taking away your dragon scale armor.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #487 on: June 18, 2009, 09:43:58 am »

Has that really happened to you? Wow, I have not yet known bad luck.

Which is why I, when encountering a sleeping nymph, either: lock her in her room if possible, or kill her outright.

Nymphs are semi-useful for removing cursed equipment, if it's a big problem.

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #488 on: June 18, 2009, 10:14:29 am »

Has that really happened to you? Wow, I have not yet known bad luck.

Yup, it's one of the deaths that I will not forget.

Which is why I, when encountering a sleeping nymph, either: lock her in her room if possible, or kill her outright.

Locking her in won't stop her teleport...

Nymphs are semi-useful for removing cursed equipment, if it's a big problem.

I always BUC my stuff before using (either by altar, pet or monster use), unless it's use-it-or-die situations. After liches start to appear I don't use anything not altar checked. To avoid typing errors I put unchecked items inside BoH (normal bags for wands that make engravings vanish), and #adjust their ids out of commonly used command buttons (like T, t, W, w, P, p, R, r, i, a).

I also never put on a helm/amulet without using identify (I don't price ID anything other than scroll of identify), and only test rings in safe places with a pet I can handle.

And speaking of #adjust, I have my own system... I often #adjust commonly used items' IDs.

a - Stethoscope. So I can quickly apply it every turn.
c - [Magic] whistle. Stands for "calling my pets"
d - Pickaxe, for dig.
e - if I have an athame or Magicbane. For a quick Ee.
i - Bag [of holding], for inventory.
l - Leash, if no magic whistle.
p - Towel or blindfold, for a quick Pp.
q - Main ammo or thrown weapon stack, for a quick Qq.
s - Unicorn horn, for it is next to apply.
u - lockpick/key/credit card, for unlock.
w - Main melee weapon, for a quick ww.
x - If I got an oilskin bag. Wands that vanish will go inside, and if I'm going near water without water walk or levitation, the BoH goes inside too.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #489 on: June 18, 2009, 01:39:04 pm »

I use a similar system Kc! It kinda depends on what tools I'm lucky enough to pick up, but the usual keys I have are

s = lockpick/Key for quick as to pick locks
e = lamp/lantern for a quick ae lightsource
b = Bag for quick ab i/o
a = pickaxe/mattock
g = touchstone
E = any hard gem for quick EE to engrave a semi-permanent Elbereth
P = Towel for quick PP to blind myself for telepathy.

I've decided to stop crying about my tourist (my beautiful beautiful tourist) and I'm restarting my orc rogue, the one with the Firebrand. I hunted down and dispatched of the (oddly numerous) nymphs that were menacing me, and reclaimed my stuff. Made my way to Mine Town, got a tinning kit (I'm starting to recognize how valuable those things are) and found a ring of conflict! I'm not well-prepared enough to tackle Mine's End yet, for it's the version with two random V's, and those V's just so happen to be Vampire Lords.

Managed to get my dagger skill to expert and long sword skill to skilled, so now I have a good long range attack in my thrown daggers, and an excellent short range attack in my Firebrand.

With some hig-jiggery with the equipment I've found, and using the thousands of zorkmids I stole from those shopkeepers I killed (with the wand of death, remember that? I didn't.) and I got an extra 4 AC ontop of all the good gear I'm finding, I have -11 AC, pretty good for the stage of the game I'm in.

Found a blessed scroll of enchant weapon, and got my Firebrand to +3 as well. I enjoy that. I'm just beginning Sokoban.

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #490 on: June 18, 2009, 02:15:57 pm »

Wait, let me get this straight. Josh died because his cock wasn't in his pants?
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #491 on: June 18, 2009, 02:19:56 pm »

Put the chicken back!  AGH!AAA!

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #492 on: June 18, 2009, 02:21:44 pm »

Wait, let me get this straight. Josh died because his cock wasn't in his pants?

Yeah, it was in my hands, and I fell and died!

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #493 on: June 18, 2009, 02:22:18 pm »

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #494 on: June 18, 2009, 02:31:34 pm »

That's what happens when you get cock all over yourself. You get STONED.

Fucking druggie tourists.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 128