Not even close.
- 391 (73.4%)
Almost . . . but didn't
- 26 (4.9%)
Maybe managed halfway
- 51 (9.6%)

Total Members Voted: 530

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 128

Author Topic: Nethack  (Read 176444 times)

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
Re: Nethack
« Reply #30 on: April 29, 2009, 07:39:49 pm »

The sheer number of commands still boggles the mind. It's the only reason I can't get into it, if everything were more neatly presented and easy to remember, then I'd have no problem.
It's not really different from DF's adventurer mode. You should check the Nethack wikis if you have problems.

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 29, 2009, 08:24:01 pm »

Huh.  Well, it would probably be trivial to disable random generation of secret doors.  But if you know where it is, have you tried kicking the wall?  That works for remotely high strength characters.  So do pickaxes for A's.

You can only kick secret doors... not secret hallways.

But unless it happens to you before you find the gnomish mine entrance, it would be pretty easy to solve. Just go into the mines, stay near the staircase and wait for some pickaxe/mattock-bearing gnome/dwarf to find you. Then let your pet play with him/her. ;)

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 29, 2009, 08:47:56 pm »

Yes, secret hallways work too.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 29, 2009, 09:05:17 pm »

unless it happens to you before you find the gnomish mine entrance

usually does.

Also kicking only helps if the secret hallway is one tile of secret. They can sometimes be MANY secrets. (plus if your leg breaks you can't kick for a while)

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 29, 2009, 09:08:26 pm »

I hate dwarf kings.

*grumble* *grumble*

h

They ruin my perfect runs.  I got to Sokoban!  Then one of these blasted things showed up.

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 29, 2009, 09:14:12 pm »

I hate dwarf kings.

*grumble* *grumble*

h

They ruin my perfect runs.  I got to Sokoban!  Then one of these blasted things showed up.

I don't think I've ever seen a dwarf destroying boulders in Sokoban... but I usually head straight for Sokoban first, gnome mines later.

Orange Drink

« Reply #36 on: April 30, 2009, 12:25:02 am »

First character was an elf ranger. He got killed by a ninja hobbit once he got to level two.

This is a stupid game.

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 30, 2009, 01:14:18 am »

First character was an elf ranger. He got killed by a ninja hobbit once he got to level two.

This is a stupid game.

As a starting non-combat-wombat character you are fragile... rangers are not supposed to go toe-to-toe with things. Use your speed and bow. Grab some daggers for throwing.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 30, 2009, 05:49:43 am »

I hate dwarf kings.

*grumble* *grumble*

h

I don't think I've ever seen a dwarf destroying boulders in Sokoban... but I usually head straight for Sokoban first, gnome mines later.

I don't think he can destroy boulders either, but he did kill me.  On my best run!  I was level 10 or something.  I already went through the gnomish mines and just went by the oracle.

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 30, 2009, 08:11:01 am »

Sokoban is know to spawn easier monsters... notable dangerous ones include cross-aligned unicorns and giant mimics.

I'd say you level up too much... I usually hit Sokoban at level 6 or so. If you let your pet fight more since level 1, it'd be a large cat/dog by then and should be able to handle most situations in Soko. You can usually pickup another pet along the way, and there's often one in the final zoo that you can tame.

Keep only one pet with you when moving the boulders, to avoid accidentally trapping one... then bring them all with you for the room.

With those pets you wouldn't need to fight much...

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 30, 2009, 01:25:10 pm »

I'm not that good, I still have no real strategy when I play.  I think my pet dog died when I was in the mines, stupid spiked pit.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 30, 2009, 01:37:05 pm »

How are you supposed to avoid traps like that?

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 30, 2009, 02:08:59 pm »

[ S ]earch for them. In the mines. Constantly.

Either that or read a scroll of gold detection while confused.

Edit: Other methods include:
1. Ring of searching or Exaclibur.
2. Eating a ring of searching... not sure about Excalibur.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 30, 2009, 04:12:48 pm »

I'd say you level up too much... I usually hit Sokoban at level 6 or so. If you let your pet fight more since level 1, it'd be a large cat/dog by then and should be able to handle most situations in Soko. You can usually pickup another pet along the way, and there's often one in the final zoo that you can tame.

Yay Roguelike logic. Intentionally don't succeed so that everything will be easier for you.

Could be worse I guess... in IVAN the difficulty is based off of your health (And other things but heath spawns tougher enemies). So if you equip the health raising items you will find yourself overwhelmed by difficult enemies. This makes an otherwise useful object quite useless unless you use the Chest Cheat.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 30, 2009, 05:26:08 pm »

This is a stupid game.
Are rangers ever good in melee?  Try monks or Valkyries.  I've gotten farthest with those.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 128