Not even close.
- 391 (73.4%)
Almost . . . but didn't
- 26 (4.9%)
Maybe managed halfway
- 51 (9.6%)

Total Members Voted: 530

Pages: 1 ... 111 112 [113] 114 115 ... 128

Author Topic: Nethack  (Read 175241 times)

lavenders2

• Bay Watcher
  • The cheese stands alone...
    • View Profile
Re: Nethack
« Reply #1680 on: December 16, 2011, 10:19:10 pm »

I have heard of Nethack, but never had the chance to play it. So:
1: How good is it?
2: Is it available for ios? I think rogue-likes would be great on a portable device, it would suit it
Economies of scale: Dathominion Co.

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1681 on: December 16, 2011, 10:21:06 pm »

2: Is it available for ios? I think rogue-likes would be great on a portable device, it would suit it
Good enough to keep my entertained for years, which is nearly impossible for a game to do.

'iNethack' is the best Nethack app in the app-store, it uses gestures in replacement of keyboard buttons. _But_ I strongly recommend getting used to the game on the computer first, as it's much harder to play on the portable devices, I feel.
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

lavenders2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1682 on: December 16, 2011, 10:23:32 pm »

Good enough to keep my entertained for years, which is nearly impossible for a game to do.

'iNethack' is the best Nethack app in the app-store, it uses gestures in replacement of keyboard buttons. _But_ I strongly recommend getting used to the game on the computer first, as it's much harder to play on the portable devices, I feel.
Sounds great! Are all the features from Nethack still in iNethack? Or is it like other ports where it is stripped down so it fits on the device

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1683 on: December 16, 2011, 10:27:57 pm »

Same as most roguelikes.

Casual gamers: Very bad.
Hard core gamers: Great.

I personally recommend it at least until you win once.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1684 on: December 16, 2011, 11:01:37 pm »

May take you awhile. How long have you been at it Quinnr?

I should put beating Nethack on my resume, it's that hard.

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1685 on: December 16, 2011, 11:03:59 pm »

Sounds great! Are all the features from Nethack still in iNethack? Or is it like other ports where it is stripped down so it fits on the device
Pretty much every port of Nethack is true to the original, at least as far as gameplay, complete with chickatrices and all.

May take you awhile. How long have you been at it Quinnr?

I should put beating Nethack on my resume, it's that hard.

Hrmm, about 3-4 years, I think. But I've only gotten serious about it again recently!
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
  • INT Score: Yes
    • View Profile
« Reply #1686 on: December 16, 2011, 11:29:51 pm »

Gonna go with PuttyTel, since I do run Windows 7. Wish I didn't have to download another thing to do this, but I would like achievements and such. That'd be pretty dang fun.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1687 on: December 16, 2011, 11:31:23 pm »

Well, there's no 'achievements' in the modern sense. Just spectacular and noteworthy failures, and awesome, fulfilling success.

Telnet just records those.

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1688 on: December 16, 2011, 11:35:47 pm »

I like that the games are recorded, too.
And that my name can be on a fancy list of ways people die, and all the other stat pages.
AND it keeps track of how many times I have to fail before I win.

0x517A5D

• Bay Watcher
  • Hex Editor‬‬
    • View Profile
« Reply #1689 on: December 17, 2011, 12:00:09 am »

I propose this list of achievements.

lavenders2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1690 on: December 17, 2011, 12:27:04 am »

So many ways to die...
perfect. So getting this game. Right now.

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1691 on: December 17, 2011, 01:08:12 am »

http://alt.org/nethack/topdeaths.html
It exists.
Anyways, there are some fun ones on there if you ctrl+F choked. Yay for custom-named fruit!

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #1692 on: December 17, 2011, 01:43:26 am »

68th main cause of nethack death (happened for 2587 recorded characters) ... killed by kicking a wall
what ?

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1693 on: December 17, 2011, 01:45:14 am »

68th main cause of nethack death (happened for 2587 recorded characters) ... killed by kicking a wall
what ?

They should have 'S'earched the wall for secret passages instead of going SWAT on possible doorways.

:D
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1694 on: December 17, 2011, 04:45:46 am »

More seriously, what. What. What. Seriously, how can anyone possibly die from kicking a fricking wall?

Also, New Guy, change your personal text, it's going way bonkers.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.
Pages: 1 ... 111 112 [113] 114 115 ... 128