Not even close.
- 391 (73.4%)
Almost . . . but didn't
- 26 (4.9%)
Maybe managed halfway
- 51 (9.6%)

Total Members Voted: 530

Pages: 1 ... 104 105 [106] 107 108 ... 128

Author Topic: Nethack  (Read 175325 times)

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
Re: Nethack
« Reply #1575 on: August 31, 2011, 07:40:55 pm »

No.  Killing the cat will result in divine retribution.  Can't remember the details but it's pretty rough.  Eating it will give you intrinsic aggravate monster, which also sucks and makes throne rooms etc. a lot more trouble than they should be.
Shoes...

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1576 on: August 31, 2011, 07:48:19 pm »

There's an old proverb...'Kill your cat, be fed for a meal. Hath mercy on your cat, pray every 500 turns and never eat, ever again.'
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1577 on: August 31, 2011, 07:54:15 pm »

Haha. My only experience with a god so far was making one mad by offering lichen corpses and misinterpreting the "pray" command. I wasn't killed (or smote, I guess), but from what I saw on the wiki, I was close.

I got killed. Even though I saved them from their endless eternities trapped as stone, the centaurs decided to murder me. Well, one centaur. It was strong.
At least I got some good advice from the Oracle. That is, if a wand of turn undead will indeed revive dead pets.

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1578 on: August 31, 2011, 08:23:01 pm »

Kitten keeps eatin all mah corpses.
If you don't need a pet at all times for protection, you can let the floating eye paralyze your pet first.

Knights are a great newbie role: Excalibur
Excalibur has one bad effect - it's lawfulness and holiness irritates monsters. Monsters can track your position easier when you are wielding it.

Hey, if you win a full ID from a blessed ?ofID, does it also do stuff in (nested) bags?
Nope... you have to keep everything in open inventory. Find a safe place and drop already ID'ed stuff first.

That is, if a wand of turn undead will indeed revive dead pets.
It is true. And not only pets, it will revive any corpse aimed at, and revitalizes eggs.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2011, 08:35:25 pm by kcwong »

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1579 on: August 31, 2011, 09:38:57 pm »

It is true. And not only pets, it will revive any corpse aimed at, and revitalizes eggs.
You mean I can turn those eggs I was going to eat into actual creatures?

I just started out with a scroll of genocide. I don't know how to express my glee in text, so I won't. I'll just be my wizard. And perhaps genocide something.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1580 on: August 31, 2011, 10:31:48 pm »

Sokoban I think they're called.

There's guides to finishing the puzzles on the wiki if you need help.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1581 on: August 31, 2011, 11:16:34 pm »

You mean I can turn those eggs I was going to eat into actual creatures?
Yes... when eggs hatch in your backpack, there's a chance that it will recognize you as mom or dad, and become your pet.

Also, don't eat eggs... you never know if it is a cockatrice egg or not. Rotten eggs also make you dizzy and vomit, which is not good if you get into a tough fight during that time.

I usually either keep eggs in open inventory (hoping for a pet), break it (kick or throw) or let pets eat it.

I just started out with a scroll of genocide. I don't know how to express my glee in text, so I won't. I'll just be my wizard. And perhaps genocide something.

Or you may want to hold on to it, bless it, and only use it when some kind of monsters really irritates you. Just don't forget you have one, and don't blank it accidentally. (I've done both before) :P
« Last Edit: August 31, 2011, 11:22:06 pm by kcwong »

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #1582 on: August 31, 2011, 11:20:57 pm »

And don't genocide h if you're a dwarf or gnome.  If you want to genocide mindflayers you'll have to use a regular scroll and do it one at a time (Totally worth it.  Mindflayers are a huge bitch and are always priority genocide targets)
Shoes...

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1583 on: August 31, 2011, 11:26:27 pm »

My genocide list...

L (lich and master lich)
R (rust monster and most importantly disenchanter)
h (Mind flayer and master mind flayer. Sorry my bearded friends)
; (Eels and stuff that drowns you)

I hold onto genocide scrolls after the list, to instantly kill things that trouble me.

BodyGripper

• Bay Watcher
  • The dog is screaming.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1584 on: September 01, 2011, 12:30:11 am »

Since I usually know I'm not going to make it far enough to have to deal with mind flayers, I use my genocide scrolls on infuriating pests, like nymphs.
"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry... It's okay to sell quivers..."
I just ripped open a lions throat by biting it. Who's the lion now, bitch!

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1585 on: September 01, 2011, 01:25:48 am »

Three wraith corpses, finally a full identify (all healing + attribute/level gain potions, a ring of fire resist, an amulet of magical breathing), two magic lamps, and even a couple giant corpses to bump my strength into 18/stuff.  My Bag of Holding is blessed, and finally I can carry my lance and spare sword around without being burdened.  (Which is a seriously good thing when a nymph steals your Excalibur.  Oh, I'll just switch to my OTHER blessed rustproof longsword and beat it out of you.)
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1586 on: September 01, 2011, 04:20:47 am »

Nymphs are most of the time generated sleeping... if you don't do noisy things they will continue to sleep, and you can just leave them be, or grab a stack of thrown weapons (enough number to kill the nymph with your chance to hit), stand 5 squares or so away, and throw. Preferably you use stones or daggers, because they won't disappear. The nymph will be too busy picking them up than to close the gap between you, allowing you to kill them from a distance. She might try to run when low on HP though, so kill her quick.

Noisy things include but are not limited to kicking items and doors, falling down, triggering a mine, some musical instruments.

Also worthy of mentioning is that you can apply a mirror. The nymph will be distracted and take the mirror only. If you have a wooden harp, playing it have a chance (level and dex based) to pacify nearby nymphs.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1587 on: September 01, 2011, 09:47:26 am »

Personally, I treat Nymphs as more dangerous than most high level monsters. When I find one still sleeping, if I don't have handy throwables, I'll close off all exits, take off all my clothes, and drop all my items; wrestling those guys to death stark naked is both effective and a terrifying mental image.

If in a pinch, it's perfectly justifiable to use an escape item to get your ass out of the situation.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #1588 on: September 01, 2011, 10:16:37 am »

So any time you see a nymph you strip naked and 'wrestle' her to death eh?

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1589 on: September 01, 2011, 10:19:43 am »

Technically, your character is wearing pants, even though they aren't found within the game. Try sitting on a rubber chicken while naked.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!
Pages: 1 ... 104 105 [106] 107 108 ... 128