Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Mad biking skills  (Read 2025 times)

Gorjo MacGrymm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mad biking skills
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2009, 07:11:39 pm »

3 4 things crossed my mind while watching that video.

1.  HOLY CARP!
2.  How many stitches has this guy had?!
3.  How many bikes has this guy had?!
4.  I have no talent.......
"You should stop cutting down all these herr trees, or, MAN is my Queen going to be Aaaaa-aang-Re-ee with you guys!" flipping his hand and batting his eyelashes."
"Oh my god guys, wood, is like, totally murder."

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2009, 07:26:57 pm »

When I watch that guy, I'm all like "might as well quit tomorrow, I'm never gonna get that far" but then I get up, the sun is shining and my bike is so pwetty and I'm more like "I'm gonna get me some new bruises!"

819 binary style!
« Last Edit: May 14, 2009, 07:34:32 pm by Puck »

Gorjo MacGrymm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2009, 08:10:13 pm »

I see it, think "wow", then go back to trying to pay my mortgage.  Haven't ridden a bike for fun like that in almost 20 years.
"You should stop cutting down all these herr trees, or, MAN is my Queen going to be Aaaaa-aang-Re-ee with you guys!" flipping his hand and batting his eyelashes."

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2009, 08:20:33 pm »

Does that mortgage paying thingy exclude the riding for fun part?

Gorjo MacGrymm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2009, 09:42:07 pm »

It excludes the time.  Also, at 39 years old, it excludes the health insurance costs associated, not to mention the physical conditioning.  Did I say its been 20 years since I did stuff like that for fun?

PS:  those tricks off the tree had my jaw on the floor

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2009, 07:05:38 am »

Guess I'm lucky. I'm thirty, and while it was kind of hardish getting into it again, it still worked out. I mean, I dont expect miracles from myself, I'm riding for fun not to become the worlds best rider, right? When something doesnt work, or gives me to much chills, I'm just not touching it.

For instance, I guess I'll never jump a double again, I'll just stick to the tables, because you can get a feel for the required speed to clear it, without going to the hospital because of the slightest miscalculation or chicken cramp. (well I said the same thign about the stairs on the outside of our city library, and I cleared em two times this spring already ;D)

There's only one thing I'd accept as a good reason (not that you need to give ME any good reasons not to ride ;) ), and that's the health insurance. Over here, where I live, the public health insurance is okayish. I dont need any extra special insurance that gets me pwettier rooms or anything. And more imporantly, it COSTS the same, no matter how much you smoke, drink or play russian roulette.

Btw... cross country biking got me into the hospital waaaaaay more often than any street/dirt/trial session.

And seriously, there's a 43 year old guy on youtube, riding bmx and 4x very very decently.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2009, 07:25:10 am »

3 4 things crossed my mind while watching that video.

1.  HOLY CARP!
2.  How many stitches has this guy had?!
3.  How many bikes has this guy had?!

Good questions, but you hit the nail on the head. It's all about talent I guess...I couldn't reach his "skill level" ever in my life, that is for sure.

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2009, 02:25:38 pm »

And since we were talking about health insurance and stitches....

I carved a piece of meat out of my lower left leg on sunday... Fuxing deep hole that is, like 1cm deep and maybe 3 long... I even fainted when I first inspected it, just like a lil girl  ;D

But to top it off, yesterday I was practicing stoppies and riding on the front wheel, and I had to bail over the handlebars... naturally I tried to protect my shin and whilst doing so I sprained my wrist real good...

Typing really hurts, and the only thing I can ride now is my skateboard. And I suck at skating...

Still.... 819 binary style!

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2009, 01:27:42 pm »

I carved a piece of meat out of my lower left leg on sunday... Fuxing deep hole that is, like 1cm deep and maybe 3 long... I even fainted when I first inspected it, just like a lil girl  ;D

But to top it off, yesterday I was practicing stoppies and riding on the front wheel, and I had to bail over the handlebars... naturally I tried to protect my shin and whilst doing so I sprained my wrist real good...

Holy cow...you are a real biker addict..that is for sure.  :D Either way, get well soon!  :)

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2009, 09:49:53 am »

But it seems the story gets a punchline!

On friday, on a party, I ran into some sort of tripwire... a cable that was supposed to hold a pillar. I hit it pretty much exactly with the hole in my leg, tripped over, and since I was carrying my skateboard in the uninjured hand, I tried to save myself from falling with the sprained hand.   ::)

It worked, I didnt hit the ground, but boy, I think that was the worst pain I ever experienced. I mean, I had a broken arm years ago, I had a dog bite holes into my nose and lips, I had all kinds of post-op complications, but this kind of pain really was the worst. Lucky for me, it only lasted about 15-30 minutes.

After the party we went swimming. I couldnt get into the water because of my leg. But I managed to get a sunburn, and now I cant barely move at all. I think I claimed the idiot award for 2009.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2009, 01:11:13 pm »

Puck....I lol'ed in real life while I was reading your latest update... ;D

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 24, 2009, 01:31:59 pm »

Ho-lee shit! That's like bloody parkour on a bike. Totally amazing.

jaked122

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Lurker tendancies]
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 24, 2009, 04:11:21 pm »

I'll get a video of me crashing into a car(and the car coming out worse)

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 26, 2009, 07:14:17 am »

Wow, that IS spooky. I was expecting my wrist to heal quicker. But now I look at the date of my last post, it's been over a friggin month, and my wrist still hurts when I move it in a certain way. Actually, even waking up in the "morning" hurts. But what the fuck, I started to ride with a supplement of painkillers  ;D (Maybe replacing the 13cm suspension fork with a rigid steel fork at this point of my healing process wasnt the bestest idea, but hey, an idiot has to do what an idiot has to do)

Anyways, I found another vid on youtube, and I REALLY enjoy watching it. Don't get me wrong, Danny Macaskill is like the friggin yoda of biking, but other than with yoda, I dont find it THAT fun to watch him, most of the time. I just dont like his style all that much.

On the other hand, Jeff Lenosky is exactly my kind of bag. The tricks are (sometimes) a bit more down to earth, but most importantly, that guy has a style that flows (in that video). It just looks FUN. No cramps, no painful self controlling, just pure going-with-the-flow:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHffbTU_mkA

I believe it aint even the original tune to the vid, but who cares, it's perfect.

Seriously, I think that's the most enjoyable video of a riding session I ever saw.

edit: oh, and if you search for "tricktionary" on youtube, you get some very interesting short clips that are supposed to help you learn certain stuff, made by this guy and his (now probably more famous) friend who's name I keep forgetting. I don't know whether or not you guys watched any "how to: [biketrick]" videos yet, but most of them are pure crap, and dont help you at all. When you watch them, you normally get the feeling, the people that pull the tricks are either stupid, dont know HOW they actually do it, dont WANT you to learn it or just plain and simple... cant talk properly.

The "tricktionary" on the other hand taught me a few useful things. For instance how to practice going backwards to chain 180s in your line. It also would have taught me how to wheelie, but I knew those things already ;) Most other videos dont have such a "you can do this stupid thing at which you cannot fail to get a feel for this and that" part.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2010, 06:17:08 pm by Puck »

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 30, 2010, 06:57:54 pm »

We have come together today to mourn for my old handlebars. I'd like to thank everybody who showed up, now let's hang our heads in grief and bid them farewell, the way they deserve.

Their aluminum was weary and began to weaken
and they knew their time had come,
after ten years of serving me well
and fulfilling their duty to their best ability.

So my handlebars sacrificed themselves today
when I bailed after a snafu'd bunnyhop over a rail
so I would not have to suffer from grave injuries
upon the next major drop
that was bound to happen sooner or later.

I shed a tear for my beloved handlebars.
Now I dont get to feel their perfect shape,
their soft bend that caressed my wrists whenever
great forces needed to be absorbed,
especially after I ditched the suspension fork.

Like so many times in life
we only understand how amazingly we have been blessed
after we lost what had been so precious to us.

There was never a time that I could not trust them
or that they would not lift my bike up in the air
when I pulled them hard enough.
Some of you may not have known my handlebars the way that I did,
but for those who did not get to know them:
In your face! Those were MINE!

Farewell, and may you be a part of god's heavenly dirtbike
as long as you please. I have to try and replace you,
but it will take me a long time until I can love again.

Ride hard, but party harder, up there.
Pages: 1 [2] 3