Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: New stats  (Read 1458 times)

RavingManiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
New stats
« on: April 26, 2009, 02:03:44 am »

The current strength, agility and toughness stats are good for measuring physical attributes, but dwarves should also have mental/social attributes:

-Intelligence (helps with architecture, mechanics, record keeping, trading and organizing. Cannot be trained).
-Charisma (helps with trading and organizing. Increases the chance of making friends and being elected mayor. Trained by talking to people).
-Looks (similar to charisma, but does not help with trading or organizing. Untrainable).
Thief:"Quiet kitty, Qui-"
Cat:"THIEF! Protect the hoard from the skulking filth!"
The resulting party killed 20 dwarves, crippled 2 more and the remaining 9 managed to get along and have a nice party.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
Re: New stats
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2009, 02:08:57 am »

Mental stats are already covered.

Stuff like 'looks' will be handled via personal entity and civ preferences, according to the powergoals.    Specifically:

# PowerGoal68, MAGICAL IDIOT PEEPER, (Future): Hearing of her exotic beauty, the young knave uses a ring to open a portal in the wall of the princess's bedroom, wrenching a small cylinder of stone out of the wall via its magical powers. However, the stories had all been told by Southmen, and she was in fact quite unattractive by the different standards of his culture.

Hope this is encouraging!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2009, 02:41:17 am »

The best example of a complicated issue in terms of Looks in real life would be Cleopatra.

-She was rumored to be stunningly beautiful
-She is by today's standards "Ugly"
-She would be by Egyptian standards Beautiful (Note: I am speculating)
-She likely wouldn't have been found very attractive outside of Egypt even though pretty much all the stories of her beauty come from outside egypt.

Though many of her features were basically required... I don't think the Egyptians could accept a female pharoh that didn't have a nice beard.

Some of the issues surrounding Cleopatra would seriously freek us out... Ancient Egyptian Culture can be rather freeky.

Fossaman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2009, 03:22:32 am »

Cleopatra doesn't count as ancient egypt. She's post Alexandrian, isn't she? That's not ancient.

Anyway, standards of beauty do certainly differ from culture to culture (or indeed from person to person. That could be an interesting preference for individual dwarves!). The current super-thin aesthete in the western world would certainly clash with medieval standards of beauty: Good childbearing hips, and a healthy layer of fat.
Quote from: ThreeToe
This story had a slide down a chute. Everybody likes chutes.

cerapa

• Bay Watcher
  • It wont bite....unless you are the sun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2009, 03:24:53 am »

Dwarven women have beards. Why hasnt anyone pointed that out?

Tick, tick, tick the time goes by,
tick, tick, tick the clock blows up.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2009, 03:38:54 am »

Cleopatra doesn't count as ancient egypt

No... but my statement still sticks as what I was secretly refering to was still present. (That and Ancient egyptian culture still can be rather freeky)

standards of beauty do certainly differ from culture to culture

Let me think of a few that involve today's society:
-Industrial Change: Being Pale was no longer in fashion. Being tanned was the way to go.
-Weight: Goodness I am not sure what cultural change requires this (I think health consciousness) but being very fat was considered beautiful. Some cultures probably still do.

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2009, 03:49:56 am »

Though many of her features were basically required... I don't think the Egyptians could accept a female pharoh that didn't have a nice beard.
Egyptians did not like hair, as they considered it unclean.
I've played some mafia.

Most of the time when someone is described as politically correct they are simply correct.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2009, 03:55:17 am »

Egyptians did not like hair, as they considered it unclean.

I highly doubt the universality of this statement as it contradicts the chin beard.

You sure it was all hair?

Hmm maybe I should get back on topic.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2009, 03:56:34 am »

Yo, knock off the derail, stat.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2009, 03:58:12 am »

Yo, knock off the derail, stat.

The current topic is subjective appearances the game can draw from.

Since the Stats portion is pretty much dried up as soon as the second post.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2009, 04:12:40 am »

-Weight: Goodness I am not sure what cultural change requires this (I think health consciousness) but being very fat was considered beautiful. Some cultures probably still do.

It's less "health consciousness" and more differing health problems, in my opinion.

In centuries past, people weren't hideously overfed like they are today. People who were a bit on the plump side were considered more attractive because it was a sign that they were actually well-fed (and possibly richer?), ergo healthier than average.

These days, the opposite health problem exists: Since a ton of people are OVERweight, people associated being thin with health, to the point where even seriously underweight people are considered attractive and barely-overweight people (by some arbitrary standard that doesn't necessarily apply to the individual) are often considered too "fat".
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2009, 05:03:56 am »

I highly doubt the universality of this statement as it contradicts the chin beard.

You sure it was all hair?

Hmm maybe I should get back on topic.
Might have just been head hair they disliked, I don't know.
I've played some mafia.

Most of the time when someone is described as politically correct they are simply correct.