Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Very dwarfy mechanism game.  (Read 2393 times)

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Very dwarfy mechanism game.
« on: April 25, 2009, 08:46:06 pm »

http://armorgames.com/play/3593/pirate-defense

You build traps and trigger plates, then link them. You use these setups to defend from pirates. It's freakin sweet.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Very dwarfy mechanism game.
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2009, 12:24:45 pm »

that was fun.  A bit easy, but pretty fun.  I want to put together some sort of filtering device that always seperates one type of pirate from another.  Hum.
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2009, 06:58:31 pm »

I had a bunch of fun with it too.

I'm starting to wonder if I can create an infinite loop, such that even if a wave has a billion HP each all of them would get stuck.

(That is, I need to stop a whole wave, not just one pirate)

Edit:
No, it's not really possible.  I can't even trap 1 pirate in an infinite loop.  The time it takes to reload is less time than to shunt a pirate around a square (that is, one throws him up, then right, then down, then left back to the start, but it's a second or two still loading).  Edit2: the downward pushing logs take twice as long to reload as the left-to-right/right-to-left logs!
« Last Edit: April 26, 2009, 08:34:49 pm by Draco18s »

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2009, 08:42:06 pm »

I used boxes to make pirates have to run a straight line up. Then, I used swingy logs to punt them into little alcoves in the side of this construct. The cool part? They were pushed onto a pressure plate that activated both an explosion trap and a beehive trap (they would land on the beehive and the explosion took place right next to them). Rarely if ever did they make it past the first of 35 trap combos.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2009, 08:48:05 pm »

I used boxes to make pirates have to run a straight line up. Then, I used swingy logs to punt them into little alcoves in the side of this construct. The cool part? They were pushed onto a pressure plate that activated both an explosion trap and a beehive trap (they would land on the beehive and the explosion took place right next to them). Rarely if ever did they make it past the first of 35 trap combos.

Very deadly.  I was just trying to find out if I could cause an infinite loop (did it on the 100k gold play-style).  I couldn't, but I did create a neat setup.

Boxes so they had to go to the far right, swing-logs to punt them towards the middle, trap-tree to punt them up (across an explosion), swinglogs to the left again (also triggering a beehive) into a log-roll back down (past another explosion) into a swinglog back to the right into the trap-tree again (and across another beehive).  Largest combo I recorded was 9.

Exiting that loop required leaving the square above the upper right corner's swing, across a beehive into a log-roll that pushed them back into the trigger for that swing (two swings either side pushed them into that log roll with a log roll above that pushing them into that swing).  Only 4 made it out of that by the end, but I placed some arrow towers here and there which killed them.

nirodragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Nirodragon cancels sleep: Interrupted by DF.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2009, 10:36:38 pm »

I got a nice feedback loop with hot coals, tar pits, and rolling logs.  It's actually pretty funny watching every last pirate rush forward in a wave - just pound that 'Next' button until they're all running at once.
Urist McMiner cancels Mine: Taking a dump
Urist McMiner was disgusted by a miasma lately

I can't believe I just went there...

Janus

• Bay Watcher
  • huffi muffi guffi
    • View Profile
    • Dwarf Fortress File Depot
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2009, 03:17:19 am »

I ended up doing pretty much the same thing. It really is ridiculously effective. My setup was like so:

>>0HHEE     >: log trap ->
  >>0HHEE     <: log trap <-
EEHH0<<       0: triggers linked to log traps
EEHH0<<       H: beehives/coals triggered by adjacent log trap
  >>0HHEE     E: explosives triggered by adjacent log trap
  >>0HHEE
EEHH0<<
EEHH0<<

Quite efficient. You can also consider adding in extra explosives or possibly turrets behind each log trap to take advantage of the extra space once you've got a decently long path laid out.
Tomas asked Dolgan, "What place is this?"
The dwarf puffed on his pipe. "It is a glory hole, laddie. When my people mined this area, we fashioned many such areas."
     - Raymond E. Feist, Magician: Apprentice  (Riftwar Saga)

Inquisitor Saturn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2009, 12:54:23 pm »

Reminds me greatly of Evil Genius.

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2009, 01:59:52 pm »

I think you would be able to catch them in a loop if you made the loop long enough.

hmm...
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

Jakkarra

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2009, 03:59:53 pm »

it DOES remind me of evil genius. you must all play it, is is a glorious game.

incidentally, there is talk of an Evil Genius 2 in development, but i am unsure, ans elixir is our of business.

still, marvellous game... perfect for dwarffort players.

still play DF though, more funness....

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2009, 04:11:04 pm »

I looooove evil genius.

I really hope they come out with a number 2, that fixes a lot of the gameplay issues.

Jakkarra

« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2009, 04:19:15 pm »

the english version was fairly Bug-free, also look here,

http://wiki.n1nj4.com/index.php?title=Evil_Genius_2

please do not salivate on your keyboard.

love, jakkarra

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2009, 09:25:56 pm »

I think you would be able to catch them in a loop if you made the loop long enough.

hmm...

I tried, actually.

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2009, 10:45:03 pm »

Is anyone else having trouble getting anything to load on Armor Games at all?
!!&!!

SHAD0Wdump

• Bay Watcher
  • Hiding in SPAAACE!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2009, 02:11:18 am »

I tested out this setup. It's pretty brutal...

Code: [Select]
    vv
 >> vv <<
 >>OXXO<<
  CC  CC
CCCCTTCCCC
CC  TT  CC
 >>OPPO<<
 >>XPPX<<
 CC XX CC
 CC ^^ CC
    ^^
^=upwards pusher
<=left pusher
>=right pusher
v=Down pusher
C=cannon turret(the most powerful one)
O=trigger
X=lure(all standard)
P=the pond(upgraded explosives)
T=tar(upgraded bees)

ALL the triggers and lures effect the pond except the top two basic triggers,besides that each trigger effects their adjacent pusher.

This setup will basically keep shoving the pirates into the pool,where they get utterly annihilated by the cannon fire.(which have impressive splash)

If any pirates can resist the temptation of going to the numerous lures they will proceed to bunch up at the tar pit,until one gets loose and dooms them all to the pool again.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2009, 02:13:38 am by SHAD0Wdump »
Pages: [1] 2