Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: This IS more fun!  (Read 1317 times)

bokbon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
This IS more fun!
« on: April 25, 2009, 08:38:37 pm »

My first couple of fortresses played it safe and nothing much happened - dug out a bit, traded a few times, got a couple of waves of migrants, got bored, started another one -- but this time, having tried my hand at modding, I started a quick test fort (well, that was the idea) in an area with an aquifer, so that I could play with pumps.

As I discovered once I embarked, the area also has a magma pipe coming right up to the surface. Score!

And then the fire imps came out and started taking potshots at the local wildlife.

The first time they set the world on fire, the merchants from my newly-modded-in land octopus civilisation spawned right in the middle of the conflagration. (note to self: fix them so they don't leave bones...)

That was pretty awesome, but the second time wasn't as amusing as the first, so I decided to have my first pump trial take water from the level with the sand (right next to the magma pipe, score) and see if that would solidify the top of the magma pipe.

While I was building the windmills to power the pumps (and disassembling, and rebuilding again so they would work properly), the imps started another fire. Somehow none of my dwarfs caught fire, even though they were pathing right through it to get to the windmills.

So now after a couple of false starts the pumps are running (and overflowing, and threatening to flood my fortress if my masons don't put the barriers up in time), water is flooding the surface in every direction by the magma pipe, which is solidifying where the water hits it, and then it keeps caving in, and there's mist and steam everywhere, and oh yeah, the other side of the map is still on fire.

My FPS is not happy, but this is the best fort I've had.

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
Re: This IS more fun!
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2009, 08:54:14 pm »

I have had a fireman  run around chasing my dwarves.  Fire men are hell.  They will persecute you with a vengeance if they see a dwarf.  Setting the map on fire.  Great fun.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2009, 08:57:08 pm »

I agree. Playing it safe is boring. Save-scumming is boring. Shit hitting the fan and then trying to deal with it is far more exciting.

In the current fort I'm doing, my wealth was slightly increased from the HFS I knew was on the map. Unfortunately, this brought the attention of a crossbow goblin ambush in spring of the second year, far earlier than I was expecting them. They wiped most of my starting seven, and the goblins rout just as the carpenter is making his way towards a bed to rest a broken arm. Thinking all was lost, I decided to watch what would happen.

Then I received that wonderful message: Some migrants have arrived. Hurrah! I thought, this fort will survive. The following events changed my opinion.

A short time after, a fire imp attacks, burning at least one of my dwarves and maybe some other ones before he is wrestled to death. Then there is another goblin ambush that kills a few more dwarves. Then a gaint cave swallow starts attacking my dwarves, and capturing it in a cage trap costs four dwarves.

Then one Morul Olinselor, the newly chosen expedition leader, decides to tantrum, and punches two injured dwarves to death. At this point, I decide to defend my encampment from ambushes with a curtain wall and bone crossbows. In the next ambush, two dwarves die from running out of bolts and attacking goblins.

A lot of this was avoidable, and some of it I intentionally brought on myself just for pure entertainment, but this is the most fun I've ever had playing a fortress. The best part is that I'm making a record of it all for the community game I intend to run with this fortress once I complete its megaproject.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

bokbon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2009, 09:07:57 pm »

Now I got a goblin ambush, and I'd completely forgotten to work on my defence. I have NO traps, NO military.
Pulled up the drawbridge over my moat (originally meant as a firebreak), drafted the haulers who were hanging around outside... yeah, that didn't go so well ;D

The gobbos are still hanging around, looking for some more meat maybe, so I'll put a couple of layers of traps behind my drawbridge and pull it back down.

Should have done that first maybe, but wow! those haulers sure did fly.

DorfDorfingdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2009, 02:33:11 pm »

I'm shocked nobody else has asked about your octopus civilization, so here it goes:

Your octopus civilization. What of it?
<quote>... the first migration gets conscripted to the "Quarry Security Force" which will be known as QuiSF because I like the name AND I MAKE THE RULES AROUND HERE!</quote>

TheDJ17

• Bay Watcher
  • [SWAG]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2009, 02:58:31 pm »

I'm shocked nobody else has asked about your octopus civilization, so here it goes:

They are etenally at war with Japan.
The spinning =<*Free Form Jazz*>= strikes the Poster in all the senses, ya' dig, utterly blowing the mind!
The Status Quo has been struck down!

bokbon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2009, 06:26:45 pm »

They're not very interesting, I'm afraid. I didn't put a huge amount of thought into them*, I just like the word "octopodes" and wanted to use it in-game. :)

*Originally, at least; now I'm working on a set of graphics for them, a language file which isn't just existing ones with certain letter combinations find-and-replaced, their own specific clothing, toys, instruments, plants, domestic creatures...

Nyxalinth

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page.
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2009, 06:47:30 pm »

Been attacked by Gobbo ambushes four times today alone. Each time i recruited EVERYONE and sent them into battle. Dorfs and Goblins dead all over. Came out of it with three Dorfs I gave special nicknames to: Bowbane (she killed an especially annoying goblin Marksman) and GoblinSlayer (killed three, and he was a recruited peasant!) and Smasher, who killed a human Pikeman the Gobbos had on their side. The human in question had a special name, i forget what. Amazingly, only one person out of the bunch looks like he might tantrum. A kid even lost both 'rents and is happy as a clam. 'Gee, sucks that mom and dad died, but that ballista out front is TOTALLY FUCKING AWESOME, YAY!'  :)

MUCH more fun this way!
« Last Edit: April 26, 2009, 06:50:50 pm by Nyxalinth »
Nyxalinth likes the color blue, gaming, writing, art, cats for their aloofness,  Transformers for their sentience and ability to transform, and the Constructicons for their hard work and building skills. Whenever possible, she prefers to consume bacon cheeseburgers and pinot noir. She absolutely detests stupid people.

Enzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2009, 07:32:45 pm »

I have had a fireman  run around chasing my dwarves.  Fire men are hell.  They will persecute you with a vengeance if they see a dwarf.  Setting the map on fire.  Great fun.

It's true. When I started on my first Fireman map I assumed, like imps, they'd generally stay close to the magma pipe. That fucker chased my woodcutter across half the map directly into my booze stockpile. I also agree that dangerous maps are more fun. Like when your initial 7 dwarves kill three pages of undead before any immigrants arrive (what? 3 jewelers and no bonecrafter? curse you mountainhome!).

illiterate

• Bay Watcher
  • [THRIVES_ON_OBSCURITY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2009, 10:24:26 am »

I was wondering if i'd have to abandon the other day when undead one-humped camels took me down to 5 dwarves, seemed to be threatening to take the rest.  i had "just anybody" set to trade and it was fun giving away masterpiece "alunite flutes" for scraps of leather.  i just imagined that elven bastard laughing to himself as my new trader said "is this an ok deal?  how about now"   yeah, he seemed pleased with the trading..

anyways just then i got an immigration wave of about 20.  I assume the threat of death and limited bedroom facilities were selling points.  i think i'm going to take about ten of them and actually build an army.  it was my own fault for ignoring the skeletal threat while i had soapers and milkers doing nothing but chatting with eachother in my meeting area, admiring the fine copper cage complete with imported cat. 
"I accidentally dislodged a single tile at ground level while trimming the hill around the fortress entrance, and it punched through a lava moat, a gem stockpile and a bone stockpile before coming to a halt in someone's bedroom.  The bedroom's owner, a planter, was in bed at the time, and he got up and walked to the door just in time to get a coating of lava, gems, bones and scorched legendary miner chunks."  -NCarter

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2009, 03:41:12 pm »

I've heard nothing but terror stories about skamels. Good luck with that.