Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Oh, what to do? So many possibilities?  (Read 1261 times)

CynicalRyan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Oh, what to do? So many possibilities?
« on: April 25, 2009, 06:52:29 pm »

Since I'm rather close to having my current fortress "finished" (i.e. self-sustaining and military made redundant), I'm wondering what to do with the copious free time?

I'm thinking of creating nobel quarters over my magma pool which can be dropped at the drop of a hat (or for lulz).

But what about the more impractical things?

I haven't found sand yet, so the obligatory glass tower won't work.

Ideas?

Smew

• Bay Watcher
  • I'll kill you with my bear face.
    • View Profile
    • Deep Games for Deep Gamers
Re: Oh, what to do? So many possibilities?
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2009, 06:55:48 pm »

Create a tomb for your starting 7(or however many you have left) worthy of being adventured to, complete with traps(Which level collapses the ceiling, and which one opens the way forward?), magma, water, and artifacts.

lemonpieman

• Bay Watcher
  • Maario
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2009, 08:44:47 pm »

Create a tomb for your starting 7(or however many you have left) worthy of being adventured to, complete with traps(Which level collapses the ceiling, and which one opens the way forward?), magma, water, and artifacts.

Now I gotta do that, pressure plates, here I come.

Smew

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2009, 08:55:49 pm »

Pressure plates don't work in adventurer mode even with traps turned on. :(

ElChad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2009, 11:37:46 pm »

If you really want to make it great, theme the tombs after the professions of that starting dwarf. For example if you still have the wood cutter starting dwarf, make his tomb the center of a giant tower cap forest.

Smew

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2009, 11:39:48 pm »

If you really want to make it great, theme the tombs after the professions of that starting dwarf. For example if you still have the wood cutter starting dwarf, make his tomb the center of a giant tower cap forest.
... I'm making my next fortress an Avatar Fortress.

Hoborobo234

• Bay Watcher
  • For the revolution!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2009, 04:45:39 am »

you can get them? Well if you don't get giant indoor forests, just make a cabin the the middle of nowhere in the forest outside your fort.

If you have a large military and lots of traps, turn all of your traps in to Cage traps, once lots of seiges have been capturered. make an arena and pit your soldiers to the death.
Rather than having them directly force you to mine adamantine, I would suggest that they give you strange moods that require adamantine. "Dig out the adamantine or Urist here goes insane and dies" is suitably vicious.

(It occurs to me that you can probably get "Lovecraft" as the random name of your fortress. That's when you know you're screwed.)

Nerserus

• Bay Watcher
  • Rawr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2009, 07:54:29 am »

Wow, to say that sucks balls is an under-statement. To me that pretty much kills the fun of making an explorable dungeon. :(
stack of 10 prepared dragonfly brains - I'm trying to imagine what's more funny: a dwarf popping a tiny dragonfly brain into his mouth for a snack, the butcher who actually prepared this feast, or the brave hunter who ventured out into the wilderness and returned with this bounty.

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2009, 10:14:56 am »

Wow, to say that sucks balls is an under-statement. To me that pretty much kills the fun of making an explorable dungeon. :(

Agreed.  :(
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.