Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: force armoring  (Read 1400 times)

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
force armoring
« on: April 25, 2009, 05:24:33 pm »

it sucks when i want my dwarves to live near a volcano they bake themselves  or get jumped by imps or other. i want to command them to wear some mail to protect themselves.

Enzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: force armoring
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2009, 05:30:46 pm »

1 : Imps do not respawn. Kill the imps.

2 : War dogs protect civies better than armour ever would.

3 : Wearing mail will not protect someone from overheating. Ask the crusaders.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2009, 05:33:42 pm »

yea about the war dogs, they started to run around on FIRE.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2009, 05:47:49 pm »

Chain 'em up.

Jakkarra

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2009, 06:39:15 pm »

for magma features, i commonly use the tactic of paving the entire thing over (after imp de-population, and elven initiation ceremonies) and deconstructing choice parts for various uses.

this usually works quite well...

love, jakkarra

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2009, 09:01:31 pm »

Chain 'em up.

One strategy you should adopt overall is to chain multiple Wardogs near all your entrances

At worst they will be an early warning system.

AncientEnemy

• Bay Watcher
  • The Answer is always POUR MAGMA ON IT
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2009, 06:00:52 am »

it sucks when i want my dwarves to live near a volcano they bake themselves  or get jumped by imps or other. i want to command them to wear some mail to protect themselves.

I doubt this will happen. It just fits in with realism and challenge. It would be weird and unrealistic for regular dwarves/people to wear chainmail in their everyday lives, that shit is heavy, uncomfortable, and impractical for doing regular work in. only in the military would this be the norm (and even the reverse might be in order, military dwarves taking off their gear when not on-duty).

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2009, 06:21:00 am »

Actually, this is already planned.  It is Req. 81:

# Req81, ARTISANS WEARING ARMOR, (Future): Option to let dwarves always wear armor, but they won't like to do it unless they feel threatened.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2009, 06:22:35 am by Aquillion »
We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2009, 06:56:15 am »

I doubt this will happen. It just fits in with realism and challenge. It would be weird and unrealistic for regular dwarves/people to wear chainmail in their everyday lives, that shit is heavy, uncomfortable, and impractical for doing regular work in. only in the military would this be the norm (and even the reverse might be in order, military dwarves taking off their gear when not on-duty).

so it is totally normal if, being on a new mountainhouse, on the border or even out dwarven land, in a place full of dangerous creature who want to kill you, with goblin ambushes and such, you don't have any protection? if i was one of the few settlers in a dangerous place, i know i would at least wear leather armour and keep a dagger on me, all the time.
and i am sure dwarves would want to live too.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2009, 09:22:19 am »

If you keep the hunting labour on, then citizens can wear armour.  This works great if you've already obliterated all the local wildlife, but there are associated bugs like "not sleeping in beds".

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2009, 12:03:17 pm »

Andrea: have you ever, personally, worn armor? It is heavy, and bulky, and uncomfortable. Even if it's made of leather. It'll really interfere with your ability to get things done, and you'd only wear it if you thought you were in imminent danger of attack.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2009, 12:30:21 pm »

People seem to have this strange idea that leather armor has the consistency of gloves you buy at Hot Topic

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2009, 03:22:27 pm »

Also, don't forget that clothing provides some protection, and high-quality layered clothing provides even more.  Check the wiki.  If you make masterwork versions of all the following clothing (whether out of cloth or leather -- they're equally good).  A dwarf can wear all the following:

A cap,
A hood,
A cloak,
A dress/shirt/tunic,
A vest/robe/coat,
A cloak,
Gloves,
Mittens,
Trousers,
Socks,
and shoes.

Yes, that might all sound like clothing...  but it still counts as armor (a coat is nearly as good as actual leather armor, especially if you add a cloak.)  Wearing masterwork version of all of that would make a dwarf far better-armored than someone in just low-quality leather and clothes.

(For the x/y/z ones, I listed the best stuff last, but often you won't have a choice based on your civilization.)
We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One

azazel

• Bay Watcher
  • Department of Redundancy Department
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2009, 03:35:47 pm »

Andrea: have you ever, personally, worn armor? It is heavy, and bulky, and uncomfortable. Even if it's made of leather. It'll really interfere with your ability to get things done, and you'd only wear it if you thought you were in imminent danger of attack.

I have - chainmail isn't that uncomfortable, even with the stuff underneath on. It's warm as hell though. Bit heavy, but doesn't really stop you from working either. Of course, I wouldn't want to swing a pickaxe all day long in it. So, I'll disagree with you. And before we start tossing accusations and the like, I wore it for 8 hours a day, for a week.
マグマキッド

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2009, 04:30:06 pm »

Curious -- were you wearing a vest, or a full hauberk? And did you have the gambeson underneath? If you're just wearing a simple maille shirt over cloth, then yeah, it's not very bulky, but it's also providing much less protection than the full rig would (since plain maille is mostly only useful against slashing attacks; its flexibility makes it little use against bashing attacks and it doesn't fare too well against piercing either).

And for the reference, I made chainmaille for a period of four years or so, so I do know what I'm talking about here. :)

Anyway, Toady has mentioned (as Aquillon quoted earlier in the thread) that it should be possible to make dwarves wear armor even if they're civilians, which renders this thread basically moot.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels
Pages: [1] 2