Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

There is nothing of worth to add here.

Nothing.
At all.
Seriously.

Pages: 1 ... 85 86 [87] 88 89 ... 105

Author Topic: To venture north, into Hell: Othtar Noloc, world at war  (Read 106566 times)

CJ1145

• Bay Watcher
  • *Insert Meme Here*
    • View Profile
Re: To venture north, into Hell: Othtar Noloc, world at war
« Reply #1290 on: September 18, 2009, 05:10:46 pm »

Now that's an update I enjoyed coming home to!
This being Homestuck, I'm not sure whether that's post-scratch Rose or Vriska with a wig.

QuakeIV

• Bay Watcher
  • Cant resist... must edit post.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1291 on: September 19, 2009, 02:13:35 pm »

That update was enjoyable to read to DU HAST by ramstien.
GENERATION 9: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
I wish my grass was emo, then it would cut itself.
Quote from: Jesus
Quote from: The Big Fat Carp
Jesus, you broke the site!
Sorry, Bro.
link to quote

Keita

• Bay Watcher
  • Easily Confused
    • View Profile
« Reply #1292 on: September 19, 2009, 02:36:26 pm »

German metal ftw!

Hows update JR?
Gravity is a government conspiracy to keep us down

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1293 on: September 19, 2009, 07:16:44 pm »

Updates going great, thanks.

And yes, I did the coffee thing off Pratchet. I prefer the term 'shout out'. I have a man crush on him.
Hence the 'hotshot'.

An hour later

Most of the humans had been roused and were currently being sobered by homebrewed dwarven coffee. Dwarves did not have any real magical abilities except when it came to craft. Magic embedded deep, deep within them granted them supernatural skill and cunning when it came to the creation of… pretty much anything. It is, funnily enough, why dwarven children can stomach alcohol and wield a weapon so soon after birth. In comparison, making coffee was trivial. It wasn’t trivial in its effects, however.
Bjorn and Galdon were currently rolling around on the ground until the effects went away.
The dwarves had no such problems, having mixed a goodly supply of alcohol into their drinks. This was not due to any attempt at safety, dwarves just do that no matter the beverage served.
Kain was sitting with Vilien, who was stoking the now roaring fire. Looking up, Vilien noticed Kain was staring at him.
“What?” he asked, chucking another twig onto the fire.
“‘Shanked?’” inquired Kain. “I haven’t heard that one before.”
Vilien laughed. “That’s a word of my own devising. To be ‘shanked’ is to be stabbed with a poorly crafted weapon.”
“But,” said Kain, looking over to where Barbarossa was running his hand up and down the goblin blade, “that looked a fairly dangerous and well made weapon.”
“Perhaps.” said Vilien, leaning forward. “But I don’t see it that way. To my mind, there’s ‘dwarven make’ and then there’s ‘poorly crafted’.”
Kain roared with laughter. Quieting down, he unslung his mace and hefted it in his hand. He looked at it thoughtfully.
“What do you think of all this? Magic? Goblins?” he asked.
“I don’t know what to make of it just yet. I know I don’t like it,” said Vilien, “but I don’t know what to make of it. Why did they capture Walter specifically? His technology? They could have gone for Oldbeard just as easily. He’s not exactly adept at preventing theft, as you may have noticed.”
“Yes,” chuckled Kain, “I’ve noticed. Item recovery, however, is one thing he’s apparently very good at.”
“Yes. I just don’t like waiting around. I can understand the need for caution but still… I don’t think I’ll be able to shake this feeling of uncertainty until I hoist a bastard goblin’s head on my blade.”
Behind them, Galdon got up, walking into a tree and fell flat on his face, gaping. The turned at the sound.
“Pf. Humans. Can’t stomach anything, be it booze or coffee,” observed Vilien.

“I wish we had a way of communicating long distance,” muttered Barbarossa.
“You know how that went last time,” said Kogan. They were sitting with their backs against a large tree. Barbarossa was running his finger up and down the goblin blade, as if fascinated by it. In true, he was, morbidly so. He had caused the deaths of many goblins, but on that day some months ago, when he passed out in a blinding flash of light, he had thought that was it. No more fighting. No more goblins. Cruel fate had conspired to wake him up on board a slaving ship and there were no more goblins, at the very least. And now, he had a plan. Well, not so much a plan, more an idea, validated by mere suspicions. Whether or not he went through with it depended on several things but first they needed Walter back.
Then, he would find this ‘Warlord’, the one that ordered them to slay the dragon. He would observe him and find out if what he suspected was true.
Then they would ride into battle. Probably for the last time.

six miles eastward

Forrest paused for breath. The very fact that he had to do so meant he was pushing himself too hard, but he had to. These tracks were easy to follow. An aptitude in magic was the only thing the kidnappers were skilled in. Forrest check the tracks again. Yes, they disappeared here. Honestly, even if he couldn’t smell the background magic (an ability taught to him by elves. It was easy if you had the herbs) it would still be obvious what that implied. He knelt down and felt around in the grass. His fingers brushed against a small bump and he quickly withdrew them. Sensor trap. Opens for only a few, screams like a banshee for anyone else. Luckily, they weren’t that sensitive or he’d be half deaf from the shrieking right about now. Now…
He placed his palms on the soil. There were benefits to being raised by elves, oh yes there were. It would surprise a lot of people that, whilst much of elven abilities came from birth, they could just as easily be learned through training. He muttered a few arcane words under his breath. Unfortunately, you needed a specific type of mind for most elven magic and he’d only really been able to achieve a few of the lesser spells. But there was no denying that they were useful.
“Gods, why the hell do we have to stand guard?”
“Oh for the sake of all that is holy, Jason, shut the hell up! We’ve had this same conversation about fifty times over the last three hours!”
“I’m just saying man –”
“I know what you’re ‘just saying’. We have to stand guard because that’s what we do, alright? We’re lucky he even has this place.”
“No we’re not. Luck has nothing to do with it. He runs the largest smuggling empire in the world! Hell, the goblins actually let him live, he was so effective at creating supply lines, you know how rare that is? Of course he has bolt holes and tunnels. He’s probably tunnelled his way to the other side of the Godsdamned world. He probably sells them daggers.”
“Ha ha. Look, we have the boy, right? We’ll be out of here as soon as the manhunt stops.”
“And when will that be?”
“Whenever it stops. Look, shut up, I’ve got a headache.”
“Fine, fine.”
Forrest muttered a few more words, rather more vulgar ones, stood up, and headed for camp.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2009, 09:15:51 pm by Jackrabbit »

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #1294 on: September 19, 2009, 09:03:42 pm »

there was no denying that they weren’t useful.

so his learning didn't help him at all?

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1295 on: September 19, 2009, 09:15:15 pm »

Heh. Oops.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1296 on: September 20, 2009, 12:51:14 am »

You're saying that dwarven coffee makes humans Knurd? OH GOD THAT'S AWESOME!
Ahhahahahaha! Also, you may want to explain to the non-pratchett fans exactly what that means.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1297 on: September 20, 2009, 02:18:45 am »

I'm shocked that people exist who haven't read Pratchett.

But anyway. Knurd is the state of mind that occurs when you go straight through sobriety and out the other side. Once this happens, you see everything clearly for the first time. It'd be like a deaf man suddenly learning to hear in an exploding fireworks factory, or a blind man suddenly regaining sight whilst looking at the sun through a telescope. It's difficult to achieve this, as you need rather special ingredients. Suffice it to say that once you go Knurd, you never go back. Hence why most people mix alcohol into their 'knurd strength' coffee. Precious few dwarves know that though, as they mix alcohol into their coffee as a matter of course.

And for you 40K fans out there, dwarven magic is rather similar to the psychic ability of the Orks, in that they can pretty much build anything if they set their minds to it. It is, however, limited by the intelligence of the dwarf in question and the skill set that they are most likely to go for i.e. people who show a preference for Carpentry will be particularly good carpenters and so on. This also explains why dwarves never fail, no matter how long it takes them to do something. Particularly ingenuitive dwarves may invent amazing things in their own field. Oldbeard, for instance, used to work as both a mechanic and an all around blacksmith.

So there you go. Just a bit of background there. Is there nothing I can't rip off borrow from? I don't think there is.

WorkerDrone

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey, if you can dream it, you can do it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1298 on: September 20, 2009, 02:23:06 am »

Hopefully you won't go to far.

When OUR in DF-universe dwarves start puking magic warp Plasma from their mouths with no control of it at all, is when we know things have gone to far.

And don't even mention the 'S' word. We don't want the Games Workshop Lawyers on us.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1299 on: September 20, 2009, 02:28:17 am »

Never shall I cross 40K with DF. The whole 'dwarves good at stuff thing' was thought up without thinking about 40K at all. Only afterwards did I see it that way. It does explain how dwarves never ever fail at any task.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1300 on: September 20, 2009, 02:30:54 am »

... by "S" you mean skill? If you say yes, I'll have to spoiler it.

I like to think that dwarves are always two drinks short of sober - kind of like Vimes. Therefore they need alcohol to run efficiently in society.

But. Best we don't induce the wrath of Games Workshop, or your devoted readers.
You could have just said that dwarves are born with the ability to craft, and develop a special skill at maturation.

Also - dwarves have "stubborn". Of course they never fail.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1301 on: September 20, 2009, 02:32:18 am »

It's magic. All races have it, it just manifests in different ways.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1302 on: September 20, 2009, 02:53:02 am »

so... you're saying that modern human magic is technology? That's cheezy.

I'd prefer to say it's advanced evolution.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1303 on: September 20, 2009, 02:54:22 am »

Noooo, this is a fantasy universe. Not the real one. I am confident when I say there's no magic in the real world.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1304 on: September 20, 2009, 03:26:01 am »

... thanks for ruining the illusions. screw you.

maybe all of our magical people died out in the witch-hunting era?
Pages: 1 ... 85 86 [87] 88 89 ... 105