Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

There is nothing of worth to add here.

Nothing.
At all.
Seriously.

Pages: 1 ... 62 63 [64] 65 66 ... 105

Author Topic: To venture north, into Hell: Othtar Noloc, world at war  (Read 106709 times)

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: To venture north, into Hell: Othtar Noloc, world at war
« Reply #945 on: July 16, 2009, 02:35:33 am »

So you've probably figured it out, but I lied about the gunpowder thing. This'd be what changed my mind.

God bless you TV tropes.
Onwards, to matchlocks!

TheNewerMartianEmperor

• Bay Watcher
  • ♥She'd cut you up!♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #946 on: July 16, 2009, 02:46:13 am »

Damn that compendium of literary devices! Damn it to the somewhat boring depths of purgatory!
Once tried to conquer Earth, and succeeded! Too bad it got really, really boring, really, really fast.

One day, we shall all look back on this, and laugh. Sorry about the face, by the way, and the legs, and the eyes, and the arms. In fact, sorry 'bout the whole body.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #947 on: July 16, 2009, 08:42:21 am »

I hope it plays solitaire in Hel alone! While we have fun in Valhalla!

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

TheNewerMartianEmperor

• Bay Watcher
  • ♥She'd cut you up!♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #948 on: July 16, 2009, 08:55:06 am »

Oldbeard ain't going to end up in no Valhalla. He's gonna go wherever he wants to, and may the universe itself have mercy upon any god stupid enough to stand in his way.
Once tried to conquer Earth, and succeeded! Too bad it got really, really boring, really, really fast.

One day, we shall all look back on this, and laugh. Sorry about the face, by the way, and the legs, and the eyes, and the arms. In fact, sorry 'bout the whole body.

Limul Thak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #949 on: July 16, 2009, 11:05:31 am »

Now that I've read that article (and naturally every article it links to ;D), I've realized that Detritus (from the Ankh-Morporkian night watch) uses a weapon that does pretty much the same thing as Oldbeard's first in-story invention! Just, you know, without the supreme temperature levels. :P

I can't believe I never realized this, considering I've read every one of Terry's books... :-\
This game is so strange.
The horses have TEEN ANGST.

Christes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #950 on: July 16, 2009, 11:11:44 am »

So you've probably figured it out, but I lied about the gunpowder thing. This'd be what changed my mind.

God bless you TV tropes.
Onwards, to matchlocks!

Must ... not ... click ... link

Labs

• Bay Watcher
  • This aggresion will not stand, man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #951 on: July 16, 2009, 12:47:52 pm »

Oh geez. Thanks Jackrabbit, I was on the site for over an hour.
I like to slip into bear caves around midnight and gently caress the carnivore inside before leaving a small cut of fresh fish and sneaking out.

GruffyBears

• Bay Watcher
  • Prodigal
    • View Profile
    • Creature Club Podcast
« Reply #952 on: July 16, 2009, 04:16:40 pm »

I liked that article because it mentioned The Dark Tower.  ;D
I grow old … I grow old …
I shall wear the bottoms of my trousers rolled.
- T.S Eliot

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #953 on: July 16, 2009, 04:45:35 pm »

Now that I've read that article (and naturally every article it links to ;D), I've realized that Detritus (from the Ankh-Morporkian night watch) uses a weapon that does pretty much the same thing as Oldbeard's first in-story invention! Just, you know, without the supreme temperature levels. :P

I can't believe I never realized this, considering I've read every one of Terry's books... :-\

That's where I got the idea.

TheNewerMartianEmperor

• Bay Watcher
  • ♥She'd cut you up!♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #954 on: July 16, 2009, 05:04:08 pm »

Me too.

Labs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #955 on: July 16, 2009, 07:00:20 pm »

And I learned that I really should be reading discworld.
I like to slip into bear caves around midnight and gently caress the carnivore inside before leaving a small cut of fresh fish and sneaking out.

GruffyBears

• Bay Watcher
  • Prodigal
    • View Profile
    • Creature Club Podcast
« Reply #956 on: July 16, 2009, 07:48:06 pm »

Same.

But I'm already reading A Song of Fire and Ice, Wheel of Time and Dark Tower series. All of which I'd recommend.

Except Wheel of Time, which gets progressively more tedious into the later books.
I grow old … I grow old …
I shall wear the bottoms of my trousers rolled.
- T.S Eliot

Labs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #957 on: July 16, 2009, 08:04:33 pm »

Im reading Conan and the Icewind Dale books. Oh and some Clive Cussler novels.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #958 on: July 17, 2009, 06:17:15 am »

Man but it was fun to write this. And all my work's out of the way.

The City Graveyard

Tamunshin looked around himself quickly, bowing his head in shame. He couldn’t believe he was doing this. Serving this monstrosity was sapping his willpower but he had to see it through, he had to. He looked at the crypt sitting squat in the middle of the graveyard. Very gothic. He hated gothic.
This one? he inquired.
“Yes,” came the reply. “this is the place.”
He sighed and trudged into the darkness.
On the top of the mausoleum sat Bromrek. He watched Tamunshin enter the crypt. Grasping his axe in one hand for security, he grimaced. This was very wrong. He looked down at his axe. It was a special axe. It had been forged in the fires of Baharadholum, the ancient dwarven forgeworks, famous for being a) named in untranslatable old tongue, having been built during the now lost adamantinum age of the dwarves and b) for having apparently disappeared off the face of the earth some centuries ago. The axe was a silvery grey, having been forged by his great, great, great grandfather from dragon blood, steel and a small amount of precious adamantine.
“Are we going in then lad?”
Oh, and it could talk to him. Telepathically. According to it, this was not rare. Apparently Limul Thak had some annoying dead elf residing in his skull and Tamunshin was… That was the problem. He was sharing a telepathic bond between another entity but the axe had no idea what it was. All it knew was that whatever it was, it was evil and extremely powerful. It was extremely likely that Tamunshin was in servitude to this creature. You didn’t have to be a rocket engineer, though those were merely a legend, to figure it out.
No, He replied. I think that would be an extremely unsafe idea, don’t you?
“Unsafe? Lad, I know ye be young, but I’m an axe. I’m used to unsafe situations. But whatever ye feel is best.
“I’m not young,” muttered Bromrek, deciding against telepathy.
“What?”
“I’m not young. I’m eighty seven.”
“Oh? And I’m turning one thousand, two hundred and forty next July. Ye be young lad. But I’ll respect ye decision, not least because yer the one that’s holding me, not the other way around. But I think ye’d be well advised to keep an eye on him.”
“Yes…” said Bromrek.

The Crypt

Tamunshin progressed through the crypt, moving through the alcoves and made his way down to the catacombs. As he walked, he remembered. The patrol, the cavern the…
What’s this then? Hello little dwarf. You should know better than tobe poking around where you don’t belong!
He moved along a row of coffins stacked into the wall. No, no, no, no…
Your friends are dead you know. All dead. I killed them, yes I did. But it was painful. I’m no longer the god I should be. And that’s where you come in…
No, no, no… Hey, what’s that?
Are you wondering why you’re still alive? Luck. I picked you at random. I killed your friend though. It was fun. It was tasty. And best of all, I have you. All I need is to brand you.
Tamunshin shook his head. It had hurt. It still did, late at night. Ah, this looked promising…
Oh, did that hurt? Good. Now you’re mine. And you will do what I ask. I need to take this world and make it my own. I’m not strong enough to manifest, but I’m strong enough to force you to help me. And you will help me. And don’t think of running away. I have other minions.
Tamunshin looked up and down at the little alcove that contained the better than average sarcophagus.
Now, in a few years, bad things will happen. I can’t have you running around before then, so I’ll just keep you hear. Don’t worry, you won’t be bored. It’ll hurt to much for you to get bored. I need to be sure that you earn the sword. Minion…
Tamunshin winced and put his hand up to his face. He felt his eyes. It had hurt. Five goddamn years. And the promise of worse, should he fail. Even death wasn’t a respite. He knew that.
“Is this the place? I cannot see a thing. Blasted holy incense.”
“Yes,” muttered Tamunshin, trying to suppress a grin. He took pleasure in the small victories. And this was a small victory. But it was worth it. He reread the inscription.

Here lies Brandon StoneBastion.
In the battle of the plains, he led his battalion to victory against the horde.
In the siege of the dancing flowers, he destroyed several siege weapons, saving the city.
In the battle of the frozen forest, his tactics destroyed enemy skirmishers.
These are but a portion of the battles he fought in.
In each of his battles, he wore a dress over his armor.
He shall be enshrined here forever.

Not forever. thought Tamunshin. He took out the gem.
“Now,” he said. The gem flared.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2009, 06:48:37 am by Jackrabbit »

Archangel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #959 on: July 17, 2009, 06:23:38 am »

Oh dear.
There's about 25 of the fuckers and the three sarge killed were at point blank range - it's got to be zombies or a bunch of really dumb terrorists with knives.
My full sig
Pages: 1 ... 62 63 [64] 65 66 ... 105