Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

There is nothing of worth to add here.

Nothing.
At all.
Seriously.

Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 105

Author Topic: To venture north, into Hell: Othtar Noloc, world at war  (Read 106562 times)

WorkerDrone

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey, if you can dream it, you can do it!
    • View Profile
Re: To venture north, into Hell: The saga of the demon war
« Reply #525 on: June 05, 2009, 09:05:56 pm »

Oh gods above. Please, no His Dark Materials jokes.

Okay. Its a tie between...

The Blades of Bashing (Eli Eremo)

and...

The Squidruffians of something something.

If anyone hasn't voted yet, please do so now.

Limul Thak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #526 on: June 05, 2009, 09:25:31 pm »

Augh! Somebody vote for Eli Eremo, quick! I need that human money! :o
This game is so strange.
The horses have TEEN ANGST.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #527 on: June 06, 2009, 03:03:21 am »

I have to say, whilst I liked the first His Dark Materials, the second and third? Meh. Not bad, just Meh.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Okay, rant done. Update time.

Othtar Noloc

Barbarossa worked it out in his head, lips moving.
“That’s dwarfish, isn’t it? Fairly broken dwarfish,” he said. “For ‘The Black Lands of Battle?”
“Aye,” replied Bjorn. “The dwarves were here first. The humans moved here about six hundred, seven hundred years ago and the dwarves were already here. The settlers just asked them what the place was called. In retrospect, they probably shouldn’t have asked a prisoner of war on a battlefield after decimating their population. But yes, that’s what this land is called.”
“Move here?” said Oldbeard. “That would be the great departure of ’18, would it not?”
“Wait, ’18?” said Barbarossa. “As in 1018? That was hundreds upon hundreds of years ago! No-one knows what happened back then, no records survived, nothing! How do you know?”
“I watched it go,” said Oldbeard. “Lovely big ship it was too, not this trash you get nowadays.”
“Aye, that’s right,” said Bjorn. “You were there?”
“Aye, and I was glad to see them go! Bunch of bigots, the lot of them. As I recall, it was a forced departure. The dwarves and humans kicked them out for acts of violence against dwarf kind. The bastards. What’d they do to the dwarves living here?”
The rest of the dwarves were simply staring at Oldbeard, mouths agape.
“Well, the stories go that they got here, they found dwarves already living here, and they killed them to make room for themselves.”
“What?” said Workerdrone. “they killed dwarves?”
“A sad, sad time that was,” said Bjorn. “There aren’t many dwarves left now. They’re all under the protection of one of the warlords and try and make as best a living as they can. Any that leave their lands are ripe for capture and enslavement although that’s rare enough nowadays, if only because they’ve stopped venturing out. Poor fellows.”
“Yes, yes, but – Oldbeard. You were alive in the dark ages?” said Kogan.
“Aye, and what d’ya mean ‘dark ages?’” said Oldbeard. “They were better than they were now, I’ll tell ye that! The technological abilities of the dwarves were far more advanced than they are now. How did you think I made this thing?” he clonked his hotshot onto the table. Dwarves back out of its radius. “Or how I’ve managed to live so long? We had technology lad, technology like ye wouldn’t believe! Until the first civil war, anyway. I’m willing to bet that I’m the only person alive today who still remembers! Hell, I was a mechanic, I know loads of things that could help society, loads!”
“Then why didn’t you tell anyone?” asked Kogan.
“Ye didn’t ask,” replied Oldbeard.
“Right!” roared Workerdrone, slamming his empty mug onto the table. “I’m bored, is anyone else bored? Let’s head off. Bjorn?”
“Aye, aye,” said Bjorn. “I suggest we pick up supplies and move to another region. This one is the biggest slaver district in all of Othtar Noloc and its lead by the most bigoted warlord you ever did see. I hear that the Isdilomoth region is in need of strong fighters. They pay well too.”
“What’s Isdilomoth mean?” asked Barbarossa. “That’s in zustash shukar-am*, is it not?”
“Aye, it means Ice-tombs,” said Bjorn cheerfully. “I hear they have an undead problem.”
“Oh, alright then,” said Workerdrone, grinning back at the dwarves.
“There’s just one thing,” said Bjorn. “This company needs a name.”
“That’s a point,” said Barbarossa. “But not the most pressing matter right now. Let’s head out.”
And they did.

The hall of David Tiringuki, warlord of Isdilomoth

“And what,” said David in a cheery roar. “are dwarves doing in my dominion? Do you have a message from your master? Who is he?”
It had been a three day trek across what in the summer Bjorn assured them was vast, beautiful forests but in the winter amounted to an extremely large and cold area that lacked basic amenities, such as a climate that didn’t freeze the excrement to your body whenever you used the waste pit. Barbarossa was in a foul** mood.
“Look, we’re not slaves, we’re a mercenary band. We have come to offer assistance with your apparent undead problem. Do you accept or do you not? We haven’t got all day.”
“A mercenary band of dwarves!” said David, surprised. “That’s rare enough! What’s your companies name?”
“We have none as of yet. Do you require our assistance on this undead matter or not?”
“Aye, I suppose we must take whatever help we can. I can’t pay much, which is why the problem hasn’t been dealt with yet. And undead are a copper a dozen and won’t garner much reputation for the company that defeats them. Still, if you wish to do this for me, I would be grateful and always call you friend. My halls would be your halls.”
“Okay, we’ll do it,” said Workerdrone.
“There is one problem though,” said David. “The undead seem to be stemming from the old Tirin Rohir tomb and that place has a curse on it, that prevents any more than four people entering, lest they become undead guardians themselves. I believe it was put in place because the tomb keepers wanted to discourage too many people in the tomb at one time, you know, to keep the place tidy, that style of thing. No more than four souls can enter the tomb at any one time. However, we know no-one is in there because four men ventured inside yesterday and nothing occurred. They did die, but not because of the curse.”
“How do you know?” asked Kogan.
“The zombies eating their brains was a definite clue,” replied David with a laugh. “if the curse had been in effect, they would have become zombies the moment they entered the tomb. They did not. Off you go now, come back when the problem is sorted.”
“I don’t like that guy,” Workerdrone said to Kogan as they walked out.

*Loosely translates to ‘ancient tall-speak’, or old human tongue. It’s mostly a dead language now. The norm is now a universal language, which is what everyone speaks but a few people know dwarfish and old human.
**And extremely smelly

TheNewerMartianEmperor

• Bay Watcher
  • ♥She'd cut you up!♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #528 on: June 06, 2009, 05:15:11 am »

Oldbeard's journal: I don't like the looks of that guy, reminds me of Nuro The Butcher, one of the worst and cruelest in history. I won't stain these pages with a record of the deeds that man commited (at least not right now). In any case, we're gonna engage some undead, pheh. The undead these days might as well have stayed in the ground. Not like the ones that I fought back in the day, those things were something to be reckoned with. We had revenants, ghosts, ghouls, The HiveMinders and the dreaded Shamblers. I remember the great war of 502 when we stamped down the hordes and made it safe to bury things again. Ah, those were the days.....
Once tried to conquer Earth, and succeeded! Too bad it got really, really boring, really, really fast.

One day, we shall all look back on this, and laugh. Sorry about the face, by the way, and the legs, and the eyes, and the arms. In fact, sorry 'bout the whole body.

GruffyBears

• Bay Watcher
  • Prodigal
    • View Profile
    • Creature Club Podcast
« Reply #529 on: June 06, 2009, 06:16:03 am »

If Bromek is a Master Mechanic, then Oldbeard is a Legendary Mechanic. That's why I got his help.  ;D

Walter's journal,

After offering our services to the Warlord David whatshisface, we were told to seek out the source of the undead. Apparently only four people can enter the tomb at once, which limits our combat potential. I think Oldbeard, WD, Barbarossa and Kogan would be best. I look forward to testing ZirilDalithsarek on the undead. Which reminds me, I need to find a better fuel...
I grow old … I grow old …
I shall wear the bottoms of my trousers rolled.
- T.S Eliot

Keita

• Bay Watcher
  • Easily Confused
    • View Profile
« Reply #530 on: June 06, 2009, 06:19:25 am »

Obviously, we must attain these bears by the suggestion of a kind stranger in the tavern, who tosses us a bag of coins and tells us "you need to get yourself and armoured bear".

two words

epic

win
Gravity is a government conspiracy to keep us down

CJ1145

• Bay Watcher
  • *Insert Meme Here*
    • View Profile
« Reply #531 on: June 06, 2009, 07:02:07 am »

Kogan's Journal

Well, our mercenary band has found a job. A low-paying, high-risk job that only four of us can participate in. I should go, no doubt. Armok knows Workerdrone will be the first in, and he'll need a level head to keep him from doing anything stupid. After that, we'd need two unaffiliated Dwarves to back us up. I would choose Bromrek and Oldbeard, personally. That fire Oldbeard commands would do us a load of good against undead, and if Bromrek is truly a master mechanic, then he'll be able to find a workaround to any traps we may encounter.

I've stopped copying Oldd's journal in here, as it's nothing important to report on. I've gotten about 20 years into the fort, now, and the place seems damned impenetrable. Apparently in their 19th year they fought off two elven ambushes, a human siege, and a goblin siege all in short order of one another. The goblin king Osnub seemed a particularly powerful foe. In that siege he managed to kill my second cousin Cog and 3 of the fortress guard, and was the only goblin to escape. I wonder if he still lives?
This being Homestuck, I'm not sure whether that's post-scratch Rose or Vriska with a wig.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #532 on: June 06, 2009, 07:13:52 am »

Mini update.

The Tirin Rohir Tomb

The landscape was flat for miles, with no defining characteristics save the forest to the south, with a small village tucked into it. It seemed deserted but the company couldn’t shake off the troubling feeling that they were being watched, from the cold silent houses. The only person who didn’t seem ill at ease was Walter, who was showing a leather gauntlet to Barbarossa.
“I’ve made a few modifications,” he said excitedly. “I had to get the naphtha off of Oldbeard, which took some persuading, believe you me, but I did it!”
“What is it?” asked Barbarossa, intrigued.
“It’s a glove that shoots flame!” said Walter, glowing with pride.
“A what?” asked Barbarossa, shocked.
“Aye, though it can’t fire for very long. The naphtha burns too quickly. So I hope you don’t mind if I don’t show you. It works perfectly though.”
”That’s fine. But… a flame shooting gauntlet? how?”
“I’ve been working on it for quite some time. Oldbeard helped with the metalworking. I worked the metal, he explained how.”
“Do you think you could make it bigger?” asked Barbarossa.
“Not without more naphtha,” said Walter. “Though it’s a nice idea. I call it ZirilDalithsarek.”
“And–” began Barbarossa, but he stopped. They had come to the tomb. It was more of a large pile of rocks, really, with an entrance way cut into it. Around the entrance was etched arcane symbols.

(Behold, the tomb! Incidentally, I'll be using the DF languages more often and this tombs name is in old human)

“Bjorn, what does this say?” asked Kogan.
“It says… ‘Bugger off’,” read Bjorn. “Nice place.”
“Okay lads,” said Barbarossa, turning around. “You remember what the warlord said. No more than four people. Who wants to go – okay, you can’t all go. Let’s see. Oldbeard, Walter, Humaan and Tamunshin, you go. Oldbeard and Walter have access to flame weapons and Humaan and Tamunshin work well together.”
“No,” said Tamunshin, shaking his head.
“Excuse me?” said Barbarossa.
“I cannot deal with the undead. I have had… past experiences with them. I cannot go in.”
“I’ll go if he’s not willing,” said Workerdrone. “any objections? No? Good.”
“All right,” said Barbarossa. “But be careful.”
“Duh,” said Workerdrone. “all right, lets go.”
He walked into the gloom of the tomb.

Keita

• Bay Watcher
  • Easily Confused
    • View Profile
« Reply #533 on: June 06, 2009, 07:29:36 am »

...the gloom of the tomb

what a way to finish an update  :D

this is looking good
Gravity is a government conspiracy to keep us down

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #534 on: June 06, 2009, 07:31:19 am »

Oh, hey, that rhymed!

I'm a poet, and I didn't realize it! No, wait.

TheNewerMartianEmperor

• Bay Watcher
  • ♥She'd cut you up!♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #535 on: June 06, 2009, 07:42:32 am »

That jokes older then you are, Mr Rabbit. Also, the first thing Oldbeard is going to do when he get's some money is get more naphtha. Incidentally, how close is Oldbeard's project to completion?
Once tried to conquer Earth, and succeeded! Too bad it got really, really boring, really, really fast.

One day, we shall all look back on this, and laugh. Sorry about the face, by the way, and the legs, and the eyes, and the arms. In fact, sorry 'bout the whole body.

GruffyBears

• Bay Watcher
  • Prodigal
    • View Profile
    • Creature Club Podcast
« Reply #536 on: June 06, 2009, 07:47:42 am »

I thought it was finished...?

Awesome, I get to kill stuff with fire!

I think a journal entry would be somewhat inappropriete, unless I wrote it in the few seconds between running in with WD.

I grow old … I grow old …
I shall wear the bottoms of my trousers rolled.
- T.S Eliot

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #537 on: June 06, 2009, 08:05:12 am »

That jokes older then you are, Mr Rabbit. Also, the first thing Oldbeard is going to do when he get's some money is get more naphtha. Incidentally, how close is Oldbeard's project to completion?

Oldey but a goody. And the project is getting there.

TheNewerMartianEmperor

• Bay Watcher
  • ♥She'd cut you up!♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #538 on: June 06, 2009, 08:17:46 am »

Oldbeard's thoughts: This place is evil! Rude too. I wonder if I've been here before..... Nah, this place is too young. Last time I came to this continent I'm sure that quite a lot of the places on the map didn't exist. Hmm, I feel like I'm being watched, my gods evil is cowardly. Anyone with even an iota of courage wouldn't just stay slightly out of sight, watching. No, they would bring the fight to the enemy they would, or at least do something more productive with the knowledge of us, like building traps or sommat. Why would undead be watching us anyway? Zombies and skeletons aren't that smart; I've got a bad feeling about this......

WorkerDrone

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey, if you can dream it, you can do it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #539 on: June 06, 2009, 10:05:10 am »

Oh, and by the way, The Blades of Bashing, or Eli Eremo has won the vote.

So The Blades of Bashing we are.

Also, I find it appropriate that I'm the first one to volunteer once someone chickens out. But its more in the sense that its being talked about for the past fifteen minutes, and my character finally gets tired and shouts- "SOD IT, I'll go in you craven bastards!"
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 105