Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

There is nothing of worth to add here.

Nothing.
At all.
Seriously.

Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 105

Author Topic: To venture north, into Hell: Othtar Noloc, world at war  (Read 106456 times)

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: To venture north, into Hell: The saga of the demon war
« Reply #285 on: May 27, 2009, 02:03:39 am »

So I found out who this guy is

Very nice con-dog, name a character after me

Im thinkin Luca the Destroyer, or somethin

ha, saga
u poet.

lol, c u at the place we congregate from monday 2 friday

A friend of mine. I tell him I'm doing a piece of writing and putting it up on the net and he proceeds to track it down and comment. Then he blackmails me into acknowledging him lest he reveal personal info about me (as previously stated, I'm rather paranoid and don't want personal info on the net, especially on a forum) so, hi! I really didn't expect you to be unable to spell 'you'. Or 'see' for that matter. And I don't know what you mean by congregate but hell, wanna come round Sunday for a barbecue? And change the name and give a back story and maybe I'll add you.

And I still don't know what con-dog means.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: May 27, 2009, 03:03:11 am »

Images up. No real update today, sorry.

Keita

• Bay Watcher
  • Easily Confused
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: May 27, 2009, 05:13:25 am »

THE GOGGLES! THEY DO NOTHING!

haha epic lols were had

DOUGHNUTS FOR ME

con-dogs means a lot of things bepending on what he means
Gravity is a government conspiracy to keep us down

TheNewerMartianEmperor

• Bay Watcher
  • ♥She'd cut you up!♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: May 27, 2009, 05:20:49 am »

That's okay. Anyway, I just got an Idea that I had to put up somewhere:

A Complete and Proper History of The World and The Long and Mildly Interesting Tale of A Dwarf Who Dwell Within. Part 1
Written by Oldbeard the OldMountains of Arthritis
Edited and Abridged by Oldbeard the OldMountains of Arthritis the younger, the 28th.

There's a lot that's been said about us Dwarfs, mostly by the young, the stupid, the young, stupid humans and the ELVES! That aside, I think that the most you can say about us is this: We're all alcoholics, we love fighting, we love our drink, we're short, we're tough and we build the best damn things in the world! That's pretty much us in a nutshell (as the youngsters these days say). Now that that's through I'd like to talk about me.   Now, as you impudent youngsters seem all-too-keen to poke fun at, I am old. Most of you think I'm maybe 200 or 300 years old; well, YOU'RE WRONG!

I'm much, much older then that. As a matter of fact, I don't even know how old I am. The first thing I can remember is arriving in this place with a big old group of fellow dwarfs. I was already old then, and I should have died who-knows-how-many years ago. But I didn't and I probably never will. I've seen many things in this life, from the gleaming halls of Copperblazes, to the blood soaked fortress (later ruins) of boatmurdered, to the harsh, desolate tundra of Nist Akath. Few modern settlements can even gain a measure of their glory, which is just another piece of evidence proving that the young are all stupid and should be ashamed of their lack of respect for their past!

Now, to the recounting: I've not seen every event in history, but I've been in enough places, read enough stone tablets/walls and Hippie scrawling pads (or "books") and talked to enough people to know almost everything there is to know about history.

It all began one sunny day as we set foot into this land, which would come to be known as "The Clouded Universe Of Fire", I was surveying the land, looking for a place that would one day make a respectable fortress; when some impudent young Kobold-snot walked up to me and........ 
Once tried to conquer Earth, and succeeded! Too bad it got really, really boring, really, really fast.

One day, we shall all look back on this, and laugh. Sorry about the face, by the way, and the legs, and the eyes, and the arms. In fact, sorry 'bout the whole body.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: May 27, 2009, 06:09:15 am »

Ha, that's awesome. Another update, courtesy of a lack of pictures, which take forever to upload. Anyway, know how I said there'd be less drama? There will be, I promise and I'm sorry for forcing you guys to endure drama instead of killy, gory action. That will be in the next update, I swear.

That Night

“Kogan, what’s wrong?” asked Barbarossa, coming over to where Kogan was sitting. He was white as a ghost and shaking slightly. “Why – what the Hell is that?”
Kogan was holding a small gem, glowing a dull red. He looked up at Barbarossa and gulped.
“Cog’s dead,” He said simply.
Barbarossa was taken aback.
“What?” he asked, shocked. “How?”
Kogan proffered the gem to Barbarossa.
“Here, see this? It glows red when the person you’re trying to contact is dead. I was tuned to Cog’s channel. He’s dead.”
“Where did you get it? And why did Cog give it to you?” asked Barbarossa, now extremely worried. Kogan’s face was pale when he responded.
“I was part of a… conspiracy, headed by the general. To remove the king.”
Barbarossa stepped backwards.
“You what? Regicide? You bastard, how many others were there?”
“Lots,” replied Kogan. “About eighty or so percent of all the company commanders. Cog’s influence was widespread. I’m surprised he didn’t attempt to recruit you. Surely you see why he did it? The king was a fool, one who took from the normal dwarves to keep his decadent lifestyle going, even during a god’s damned war. He was incompetent. We wanted to create a nation headed by the common dwarf, where everyone could have a say without the threat of a hammering or imprisonment. Can’t you see?”
Barbarossa did see and had felt the same way for some time but didn’t want to admit it to Kogan. He changed the subject.
“How many people have those communicators?” he asked.
“Everyone involved. Cog had a group of supporters that he met with regularly back at the mountainhomes but company commanders obviously couldn’t be there and needed to be kept informed. This was how. They were crafted with elven magic but the elf was kept in the dark.”
Barbarossa thought for a few seconds.
“Can you set it so we can hear others?” he asked.
“Yes,” said Kogan. “That’s what really wrong.” His voice was really shaking now.
“What’s the matter?”
“Here,” said Kogan. “I’ll set it to an open frequency.”
He made a few movements over the gem and suddenly it came alive with the sounds of battle, the cries of fallen and the screams of the fighting carried out from the stone.
Barbarossa gasped.
“How many dwarves did you say had these?”
“Almost all of the company commanders,” replied Kogan. “Barbarossa… Barbarossa, we may soon be the last three companies in the military.”
“None of that, Kogan,” said Barbarossa, with false cheer. The sounds of battle continued but the screams of pain were becoming more and more evident. “Switch it to the mountainhomes. There are a lot of companies stationed there.”
Kogan complied. The gem came alive with chatter.
“By the Gods, there’s thousands!”
“On your left, on your left!”
“What the hell are those?”
BOOM
“Oh Gods! Duck!”
BOOM
“Look ou–”
Kogan switched it off. He looked down at his feet. Barbarossa was in shock. After the longest pause, they both looked at each other.
“We can’t tell the men,” said Barbarossa. “We just can’t.”
“What’ll we do?” asked Kogan.
“We continue. They can’t get every single dwarf in the word. If we dig in well enough, they may never find us and if we’re lucky, some refugees might turn up.”
“Why the hell are we one of the only companies that’s totally male?” asked Kogan bitterly. “Almost every other company has at least one female.”
“Well, you never know,” replied Barbarossa, trying desperately to look on the bright side. “You know how difficult it is to tell genders apart for dwarves and we have been resupplied a few times. Don’t worry. We’ll get through this. Oh, and don’t tell Workerdrone. Or is he in on it too?”
“No,” whispered Kogan.
“Okay. Just get some sleep, my friend. We’ll be travelling into uncharted territory tomorrow, along the coast by the looks of things. I need you well rested because tomorrow we’re travelling north.”
Barbarossa walked off and Kogan watched him go. He switched the gem back on and listened to the battles fought around the known world, hoping, praying that the dwarves would prevail.
The voices got steadily dimmer as the night progressed and the gem owners fell. Early next morning, they stopped altogether.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Keita

• Bay Watcher
  • Easily Confused
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: May 27, 2009, 06:25:42 am »

that was awesome

has my dwarf buggered off or something? probably raiding the alcohol stockpile or something

TheNewerMartianEmperor

• Bay Watcher
  • ♥She'd cut you up!♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: May 27, 2009, 06:28:51 am »

Oldbeard was taking his early morning walk while working on his book, when he tripped over something left behind in a somewhat careless manner. it was a smallish gemstone. Being one who is somewhat avaricious (as all good dwarfs are) he picked it up and carried on. The gem did nothing out of the ordinary, making no noises and being unvarying in it's colour.
Once tried to conquer Earth, and succeeded! Too bad it got really, really boring, really, really fast.

One day, we shall all look back on this, and laugh. Sorry about the face, by the way, and the legs, and the eyes, and the arms. In fact, sorry 'bout the whole body.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: May 27, 2009, 06:29:44 am »

Oh he's there Metal. I plan to put descriptions in the upcoming battle, I've been neglecting you all. I'm only focusing so much on Kogan and Barbarossa because they got picked for commanders by the luck of the draw and thus have to contribute more to the story.

Keita

• Bay Watcher
  • Easily Confused
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: May 27, 2009, 07:23:33 am »

I know I'm just being an arse  :P

Labs

• Bay Watcher
  • This aggresion will not stand, man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: May 27, 2009, 10:41:51 am »

Labs' Journal

I finally found a tablet to start keeping a journal with, this tablet. The other day we blew those damned goblins back to hell and into the chasms those dirty bastards crawled out of. I'm going crazy, I haven't eaten a fish in weeks and the commander won't let me near the river, that old timer looks at me like I'm a lying elf and he mutters about how my fish trophies must be fake. He says no dwarf could ever conquer the river demons. Heard a rumor that we might dig in. If this becomes permanent I should ask the commander about moving my family up here.
I like to slip into bear caves around midnight and gently caress the carnivore inside before leaving a small cut of fresh fish and sneaking out.

GruffyBears

• Bay Watcher
  • Prodigal
    • View Profile
    • Creature Club Podcast
« Reply #295 on: May 27, 2009, 10:59:52 am »

Walter's Journal,

As I write this, with quill and parchment, I wonder: Why do dwarfs keep their journals on rock tablets?

Not Canon.
I grow old … I grow old …
I shall wear the bottoms of my trousers rolled.
- T.S Eliot

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: May 27, 2009, 11:04:29 am »

Quote from: Jackrabbit
BASTARDS FOR THE BASTARD GOD!

...Zeus?

A con-dog is much like an ordinary dog, but with bags of charisma and your wallet.
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

GruffyBears

• Bay Watcher
  • Prodigal
    • View Profile
    • Creature Club Podcast
« Reply #297 on: May 27, 2009, 11:17:12 am »

I'm sorry for this but for the sake of referencing it must be done.

GruffyBears has created a masterpiece!

This is an image Walter. This refers to the joining of walter to the 11th Royal Swords on the 23rd/24th of May 2009.

« Last Edit: May 27, 2009, 11:19:19 am by GruffyBears »
I grow old … I grow old …
I shall wear the bottoms of my trousers rolled.
- T.S Eliot

Vilien

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: May 27, 2009, 02:17:43 pm »

Well, shit.

CJ1145

• Bay Watcher
  • *Insert Meme Here*
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: May 27, 2009, 02:32:26 pm »

To the response to the comment made about Oldd Truebasement's journal entry that Kogan read, I wasn't referencing that. An idea sprung into my head to write a little backstory to the original founder of Winddimples, shed a little light on the ancestry of Kogan. Considering this was 300 or so years ago, I plan to make references to old DF stuff, and anything else coming into my head (in that case, it was more dakka.) Regardless.

Kogan's Journal

They're gone. Every Dwarf in the mountainhomes is dead. The sounds stopped early this morning, and I threw the gem away. There was no point in holding such a grim momento. I would sacrifice myself to Armok for a map right now. I have an unshakable feeling that we're within proximity to Winddimples, I feel it in my bones. If only I could confirm it, we could take shelter there! Maybe my great-grandfather's journal holds more info on its location...

"With the elf dead, the Human Dusk Witheredspoons and I headed back to that blasted surface-town of his. We done went into the tavern, but the mayor was nowhere t' be seen. But soon enough, we done heard the clanging of metal an' wood, and we ran to aid whoever might need it.

A course, it was an unsolvable situation. These humans here had been fighting the elfs for centuries, now, and they'd taken their share of prisoners. In fact, the elfs outnumbered the humans at this point, and they'd decided it was time that they rebelled. Hundreds of the pointy ears were outside the keep, beating the last few guards to a pulp. Witheredspoons and I knew that the only way to get to the mayor--and complete our quest--was to fight through the bastards. We hacked our way through many of 'em, but it was too good. One of them lost his arms, started biting my poor buddy. But soon enough, we got in, and the soldiers barred the door behind us. We found the mayor crying in a corner, only telling us we was "champions" before returning to his weeping. Some bull about "deep drums" somethin'-or-other. Smoke and shadow my ass.

Either way, Dusk had once been the captain of the military here, and knew a back door. We went through the guards, got ourselves 3 crossbowman, 2 swordsman to accompany us. Back when I retired here a decade ago, my old pal Urist (the one that killed the vampire, not the one we left by the elephants) was still here, and her axe proved useful. We even found an elf bowmen to join us in our little escape. We got out just as the Elfs got in. Something I'm not quite sure of hit me in the back on our way out. Mighta been the mayor's toe..."
This being Homestuck, I'm not sure whether that's post-scratch Rose or Vriska with a wig.
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 105