Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

There is nothing of worth to add here.

Nothing.
At all.
Seriously.

Pages: 1 ... 87 88 [89] 90 91 ... 105

Author Topic: To venture north, into Hell: Othtar Noloc, world at war  (Read 106537 times)

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
Re: To venture north, into Hell: Othtar Noloc, world at war
« Reply #1320 on: September 26, 2009, 09:46:13 pm »

wait, huh, what - OWND!

yeah... your opinion can go attack the grey knights chapter. That's right - 40k lingo - in an insult.
How metal.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

WorkerDrone

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey, if you can dream it, you can do it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1321 on: September 26, 2009, 11:16:25 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

So what, I'm a nerd, wanna fight about it? It's a fight you'll lose mate.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1322 on: September 26, 2009, 11:27:13 pm »

Dude... you just admitted to being a nerd.
on a DWARF FUCKING FORTRESS FORUM.
Cmon! not that obvious, innit?

Also -
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Also - also - Why do you want to fight about whether or not you're a nerd? Butok. It's on. We'll just... oh. wait. we're probably half the fucking world away. figure it out.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

WorkerDrone

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey, if you can dream it, you can do it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1323 on: September 27, 2009, 12:32:57 am »

Why do you fucking think I said its a fight you WON'T win dude? Keep up!

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1324 on: September 27, 2009, 01:10:02 am »

because... it.. wouldn't.. happen?
I'm LEARNING!

GruffyBears

• Bay Watcher
  • Prodigal
    • View Profile
    • Creature Club Podcast
« Reply #1325 on: September 27, 2009, 06:48:16 am »

Also - also - Why do you want to fight about whether or not you're a nerd? Butok. It's on. We'll just... oh. wait. we're probably half the fucking world away. figure it out.

Mail bombs to each other or something, Spy vs. Spy style.
I grow old … I grow old …
I shall wear the bottoms of my trousers rolled.
- T.S Eliot

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1326 on: September 27, 2009, 07:00:19 am »

w00

though isn't tunnels more their thing?

GruffyBears

• Bay Watcher
  • Prodigal
    • View Profile
    • Creature Club Podcast
« Reply #1327 on: September 27, 2009, 07:43:25 am »

But if they're spies, won't they do the opposite of their thing, to confuse you?

- T.S Eliot

Vilien

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1328 on: September 27, 2009, 06:34:34 pm »

Its to bad no one wants your opinion. But yeah, on with the show.
Oh, that stings. Good one, super cool 40k guy.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1329 on: September 27, 2009, 09:17:21 pm »

Sorry for such a big-ass build up, but it's coming, today. I just figured you were growing disinterested and wanted to throw this in. People are getting wound up, too, and that's not a good thing.

Camp, 5 AM

Dwarven coffee did not wear off quickly. Rather, it kept a person awake and alert for anywhere between 24 to 78 hours depending on the strength of the coffee. However, despite Bardbeard’s best efforts, the coffee was not a fabled 78 hour brew, but rather a short, 24 hour affair. That wasn’t to say it was not potent, however. After the more serious effects had worn off, the men and dwarves of Eli Eremo felt as if they could tackle the world, their concentration increased tenfold. It was a good feeling. It was just a shame what they had to go through to get it.
“I never want to do that again,” muttered Bjorn. “It makes everything feel fake and pink. I never thought total clarity would hurt so much.”
“What?” said Barbarossa, distractedly. “Honestly, get a grip of yourself. We have bigger things to worry about. Besides, it fells good now, right?”
“I’ve only been able to achieve this feeling with herbs, and only for maybe an hour, it’s true,” mused Bjorn. “And the herbs cost too much and I ended up running for my life from the town watch.”
“See?” said Barbarossa. He turned his thoughts back to assaults and entries and preserving lives in the coming battle.
Workerdrone was talking to Limul Thak.
“Mind explaining?” he asked.
“Explaining what?” replied Limul.
“Your ‘friend’,” said Workerdrone.
“Ah. Well, what if you explain about yours? Then I’ll tell you.”
Workerdrone looked at him for long enough for Limul to begin to feel uncomfortable.
“Fine,” he said abruptly. “His… its? What? Fine, ‘he’, shut up. His name is ‘Reaper’. He was forged in some place or other – look, shut up. Argh. Alright, he was forged in of Baharadholum, some dwarven forgeworks. Adamantium was used at some point in the process and he gained sentience. Right? He’s dwarven, because he was made by a dwarf. You I’m not too certain about. Care to elaborate?”
Limul did so. He explained about Navi, and his abilities and what happened to him and how he got there and everything else he’d been aching to explain but too afraid to do so. Workerdrone looked ready to burst with rage, but, after some thought, decided that personal hatred of a species was illogical if its help meant the difference between survival and total defeat. In the manner which the dwarven council had all those months ago, he decided that elven help was desirable in this situation. There was one thing Limul said that bothered him.
“Why the hell shouldn’t we tell Barbarossa?”
“I feel like this it would be a bad idea. He might have me get rid of it or… something…” he said, lamely.
Workerdrone looked at him. “I’ll leave this for now, but you are telling him, okay? This is something that may well save our lives one –”
“You guys ready?” asked Barbarossa. They both jumped.
“Yeah, yeah…” said Limul.
“Right then. You guys know the plan?” asked Barbarossa.
“Go in, kill everything?” inquired Workerdrone.
“Yes,” admitted Barbarossa. “But tactically.”
« Last Edit: September 27, 2009, 09:26:53 pm by Jackrabbit »

Limul Thak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1330 on: September 27, 2009, 09:19:15 pm »

I know very little about 40k, personally. :P
Dude... you just admitted to being a nerd.
on a DWARF FUCKING FORTRESS FORUM.
Cmon! not that obvious, innit?
Now, I wouldn't say I were a nerd... I just like Dwarf Fortress... :-[

P.S. Wow. That's a nice update. ;D
I wonder what killing people "tactically" is like when you've just drunken up from being knurd? ???
« Last Edit: September 27, 2009, 09:24:30 pm by Limul Thak »
This game is so strange.
The horses have TEEN ANGST.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #1331 on: September 27, 2009, 09:53:49 pm »

Obviously you make sure that you kill the people before you kill the next people.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1332 on: September 28, 2009, 08:39:46 am »

If you think the quality has slipped on this one, it's probably because it's 11:38. Goodnight.

‘Hidden’ safehouse

“Oh, at last he wakes up.”
“Why did it take so long? Teleportation is not easy, human.”
“After we got him we knocked him out with magic.”
“Why? We needed to speak to him as soon as possible. You know that. You know that.”
“I… uh… well,”
There was a nasty, organic sound, a scream and then silence. But that wasn’t what worried Walter. What worried him was the accent of the second speaker.
“Good morning Walter. Your father sends his regards. As do my Lords.”
Goblin.
“Wake. Up.”
Goblin.
“I said: Wake up.”
Goblin.
Walter sat bolt upright. In front of him, the last thing he had ever expected to see sprang into focus. A goblin, clad in the red and purple of a priest, who doubled as goblin mages. It grinned at him. Its teeth were filled to a point.
“Go to see there wasn’t any side effects from the kidnapping. Now, you’ll notice your hands and legs are bound. This is for your own safety.”
It wasn’t all that Walter noticed. At his feet, a man with a fatal knife wound in his back was lying face down in a growing pool of blood. The entire room was made of stone and seemed to be some sort of storage area. He was sitting on a chair, with his hands and legs bound behind his back. It was obvious he wasn’t getting out of them.
“Comfortable? No? Good. Now, you see, your father was a smuggler, correct?”
Still slightly disorientated, Walter nodded. It was one of the reasons he’d left home so young.
“Yes, you didn’t like that, did you? Well here’s something else you won’t like. Your father helped provide our race provisions and weapons in the Glorious Conquest.”
At that, Walter nearly knocked the chair onto its side. His father did that? Sure, he wasn’t the nicest of men, but he betrayed his own race?
“Clever man. Knew which way the wind was blowing. Loved you, very much. I don’t want to waste time here, so I’ll get right down to it. Your father has several smuggling routes into this pitiful excuse for a land, and details on how to get into almost every city here, unseen, through smuggling tunnels. He was willing to give this information to us, if we got you back. Well, we’re not an unkind race, no indeed!” the goblin paused to chuckle. “So we agreed. Won’t he be pleased to see you. Especially since he knew we could have just tortured the information out of him, if not for those bloody supply warehouses he’s willing to put to the torch via supporters if we do.”
The goblin paused to stare at Walter.
“Ha! You’re probably wondering why I’m telling you this. Well, you see, word has reached our ears, of this group, this mercenary group, comprised almost entirely of dwarves. And we got, naturally, a bit suspicious. Get your fathers men to do some snooping and lo and behold, what do we find? Eli Eremo! A band of survivors. Well, Walter, what we want is information, and I’m sure your farther won’t mind if we have a little chat. Especially if I don’t leave any scars…”
Walter spat in his face. It was a horribly stupid thing to do, he knew, but it made him feel a bit better and by the Gods he needed that right now. The goblin wiped it off and his grin widened.
Then, there was an explosion.

Ground level

“Shit!” exclaimed a guard, falling off his chair, as the dwarves streamed down from above, the chemicals they had used to silently burn their way in melting the hatch into the floor. There were only two of them there, and one went down in mere seconds, disorientated and dead in quick succession. The second managed to draw his sword and blocked a slashing strike from Quote. The reverberation sent him stumbling and, dropping his guard, he was impaled.

(Magic! Store bought magic! Oldbeard picked it up at the alchemists, basically)

Running into the next room, wary of resistance, they found none. An empty space greeted them, with stairs in the corner. The group paused for a moment and a man came charging up the stairs, sword in hand. He opened his mouth to ask what the noise was, and squeaked as he saw who he was facing. Several crossbows pointed at him.
Later, Barbarossa claimed it was the caffeine that had made the decision.
“Stand down.” he said. The others looked at him, and lowered their weapons, confused. “Okay. Human, if you beat one of us in single combat, we’ll let you go.”
The human, sweating most visibly, nodded his head eagerly. Barbarossa looked over at Galdon.
“You think you can handle being a part of our company? Prove it.”
Galdon looked at him for a moment, then hefted his mace and peered at his opponent.
“Sure.”

The dwarves formed a semi-circle around them. Barbarossa took Galdon aside before the fight began and whispered into his ear.
“Don’t be too brutal. Kill him cleanly.”
Galdon nodded.
Turning back, he eyed his opponent who, unnerved and desperate, charged.
A high, slashing blow was dodged by Galdon, who moved aside and swung, hoping to knock the man over. His opponent wasn’t so foolish as to allow himself to be struck in such a manner and counter-struck, nearly killing Galdon there and then. Okay. Obviously, his opponent knew his stuff. Very well.
Dashing forward and back, hoping to use the man’s terror to his advantage, he swung out, intentionally missing the man’s face. The ploy worked, as the man jumped forward and tried to skewer him. Thundering down with his mace, he managed a glancing blow on the mans arm that caused him shudder. It was all the opening he needed. Right foot forward, pivot, and the man’s head was now so much blood and grey matter.
“Right!” said Barbarossa, clapping his hands once. “Shall we?”

(Barbarossa's kind of an asshole)

After moving downstairs, it became apparent that the place was a bolt hole, not designed for long stays. The stairs changed to a ramp that descended several levels into rock made soundproof by sheer depth. Upon reaching the bottom, crossbows made short work of the final three men, taking care of the dozing drunkards before they even noticed there were invaders. At the end of the stone room, covered in leftover food and books, was a wooden door. Barbarossa pointed at it and a few seconds later, Oldbeard blew it inwards. Inside, the goblin turned round and screamed. A ball of purple light flew from his hand and struck the ramp at the back of the large room, melting the stone. Crossbow bolts whizzed through the door way and one punctured his arm. Howling, he screamed several arcane words at the top of his lungs before disappearing in a flash of light.
Barbarossa looked at Walter, trying to get his breath back.
“So?” he asked. “Anything interesting happen while we were away?”
“By the Gods, time and a place Barbarossa.”
“C’mon, we’ll get you down.”
“That’d be nice, yes.”
« Last Edit: September 29, 2009, 01:45:58 am by Jackrabbit »

GruffyBears

• Bay Watcher
  • Prodigal
    • View Profile
    • Creature Club Podcast
« Reply #1333 on: September 28, 2009, 01:44:17 pm »

Awesome update!

Just FYI; Walter ran away because as a child, his father insisted he be tutored in all aspects of lordship. He had a captured knight, Sir Fredrik teach Walter to fight, read, write and a host of wilderness survival skills. However, the knight's honour, good will and honesty also rubbed off on Walter as he began to rever him as a mentor/father figure. When Walter protested against an unjust execution(of his father's enemies), Lord Wolfrags was furious. He learned that his son's behaviour was a consequence of being taught under the knight. Wolfrags had the knight executed, and that night Walter fled the castle, which is where my other short story picked up.
- T.S Eliot

Labs

• Bay Watcher
  • This aggresion will not stand, man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1334 on: September 28, 2009, 02:11:55 pm »

I do love this story.  ;D  Excellent update Jackrabbit.
I like to slip into bear caves around midnight and gently caress the carnivore inside before leaving a small cut of fresh fish and sneaking out.
Pages: 1 ... 87 88 [89] 90 91 ... 105