Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

There is nothing of worth to add here.

Nothing.
At all.
Seriously.

Pages: 1 ... 79 80 [81] 82 83 ... 105

Author Topic: To venture north, into Hell: Othtar Noloc, world at war  (Read 106582 times)

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
Re: To venture north, into Hell: Othtar Noloc, world at war
« Reply #1200 on: September 01, 2009, 10:42:04 pm »

Obviously from some random dude who has no idea what it is. That or he could steal it from the DRAGON.

new rule for the thread. whenever you say DRAGON, you must make it red and all in caps.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

WorkerDrone

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey, if you can dream it, you can do it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1201 on: September 02, 2009, 12:04:33 am »

And bolded for added effect.

Christes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1202 on: September 02, 2009, 12:31:27 am »

What this about a dragon?

Vilien

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1203 on: September 02, 2009, 10:06:24 am »

I am saddened by the relegation of my one-dimensional character to a part with no spoken lines. However, DRAGONS are awesome.

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1204 on: September 02, 2009, 12:45:25 pm »

In b4 somebody makes a DRAGON your ass comment to Jackrabbit for slow posting.
Nothing important here, move along.

Limul Thak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1205 on: September 02, 2009, 08:21:39 pm »

Please, can we quit DRAGON this thread along? Let's get some updates already! :o
This game is so strange.
The horses have TEEN ANGST.

Zancor Mezoran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1206 on: September 02, 2009, 11:26:40 pm »

Yes, I would like to see the DRAGON get its ass kicked sooner rather than later.  Also, a new journal entry.

Journal of Zancor Mezoran

The siege was over much quicker than I had hoped for; after the initial cavalry charge, the enemy was sent into retreat.  Such a waste of possible action to be had.  But, regardless, events progressed within the city that substituted for the lack of further fighting.  Not long after the fighting came to a halt, word got around town that a new mercenary band, reportedly named Eli Eremo, had showed up and gotten the dragon contract that the Godly Swords had been awaiting for quite a while.  And, intriguingly enough, this Eli Eremo was mainly composed of dwarves!  I had never heard of dwarves in this part of the continent, let alone a entire mercenary band of them (with a couple of humans); therefore I figured that, wherever they came from, to have gotten this far they must be a force to be reckoned with-and I promptly attempted to join their group.

My attempt was successful; their leader, Barbarossa, accepted me into Eli Eremo.  I now write this as we prepare to set off the following day in order to kill the dragon.  I do not know what the outcome will be-dragons are formidable creatures, and their thick armor of scales will probably render my mace nearly useless in combat.  But, if I have any luck, my new companions here in Eli Eremo will be competent enough to take it down.  And so we set off, with hopes held high.
Anyway, I figure that the dwarves are only marginally less wasteful of metal than they are of wood. The moody dwarf's selecting only the best 5% of each bar of metal, and eats the rest to sustain him as he works on the artifact.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1207 on: September 05, 2009, 01:55:45 am »

The Foothills

Oldbeard had met up with them on their way out of the city. He had gotten his powder gun back and seemed extremely pleased. The quickly made their way across the planes and two days later, arrived at the town of Foothills.
   “That’s it?” said Vilien. “Foothills? That’s what they named the place? That’s bloody ridiculous.”
   “It is just a mining town,” said Kogan. “I expect originality is the last thing on their minds.”
   “And I think I’ve discovered what’s foremost on their minds,” said Galdon. Half the town was a charred ruin. There had obviously been several large fires here recently.
   “I’m not feeling any better about doing this,” said Walter.
   “Mm-hm,” said Barbarossa, distractedly. “Right, first off, we need to locate the mayor or leader of this little squat. Let’s go.”
   “Shut up,” hissed Workerdrone, at the back of the group.
   “Did you just tell me to shut up? Me! A weapon forged in fires so hot a demon of pure flame would balk at them!”
   “All I know is that you’ve been going on about battles that took place hundreds of years ago and hold no real interest to me! For days. I can accept that you can talk but do you have to be so bloody annoying? You’re almost as bad as Oldbeard!”
   The axe grumbled, but fell silent. Workerdrone was starting to regret taking the sentient axe. It was a good one, sure, but it didn’t seem inclined to shut up and didn’t come with an off lever. He sighed and trudged after the group.

“Do you want this thing dead or not? Where is it?” said Barbarossa. They were in the burnt out shell of the Head miner’s hut. He’d been eaten a week ago an no one seemed inclined to take his place. Barbarossa was questioning his kin.
   “Bu- b- b- It’s huge! Tunnel, cave, cliff, high!” stuttered the woman. “You’d never climb it! Too big! Too high, high, high!” she seemed on the verge of collapsing.
   “What? It’s up the cliff?” asked Barbarossa. They’d seen the mountain on the way here. A sheer, unforgiving rock face. It seemed to emit an aura of ‘just try it’. There was no way they’d be able to climb it.
   “What now?” asked Ryan.
   “I don’t know,” said Barbarossa, shaking his head. “We might just have to wait until it att–”
   “Dragon attack!” someone screamed outside.
   “Well, that was easy,” said Workerdrone, happily. “Shall we?”
   “Could have been a mechanic like my mother wanted,” muttered Barbarossa as they headed outside.
   The next fifteen minutes were a blur and a nightmare, looked back upon in the dark grip of sobriety on many a late night by all who witnessed it.
   Raptor left the building first. He’d been quiet recently, but had been a valuable asset nonetheless, helping behind the scene as he liked to say, better than any elven doctor, setting broken bones, healing cuts, bruises. He was barely noticed by the group anymore. He was taken for granted, a huge help, certainly, but he had been one for so long no one noticed anymore.
   Upon exiting the building, he was caught in the dragon’s fire as it strafed the road.

(I'll miss you Raptor, even if I didn't use you much)

Screaming, he was dragged back inside by Tamunshin, who almost seared his own hands off. Lying in the middle of the room several dwarves, and Walter, tried desperately to beat the flames off but by that point half of his body was on fire, and there was nothing anyone could do.
   Raptor died screaming.
   The entire room froze. Then, quietly, Forrest picked up his crossbow and left the room. Outside, there was a twang, followed by a roar. The sound shook the group out of their collective daze. Everyone, quietly, gathered their weapons and left the room.
   Outside, Forrest was reloading his crossbow. Up ahead, the dragon was swooping in for another go. Oldbeard raised his gun and fired. The kickback almost bruised his wrist, and the bullet thudded into the dragon’s left shoulder, sending it into a downwards spiral. With a crash, it hit the ground on the east side of the village. As if by telekinesis, the entire group headed west. Quickly leaving the town, they stood in the field just outside the town limits. The dragon flew into view and soared towards them, strafing the town once again. The head miner’s hut was incinerated almost instantly, along with everything else on the street.
   Quickly forming into a line, Forrest, Ryan, Oldbeard and Barbarossa aimed and fired a volley at the approaching beast.

(Nope, still can't be funny. All tearful now)

It rolled out of the way, but not fast enough and as what seemed like divine punishment two of the bolts embedded themselves in its chest. Roaring, it dived. Everyone dived out of the way, but Kain managed to get caught in the chest with its tail, flying into a tree. He got up, before collapsing, lapsing into unconsiousness.
   Tamunshin used his sword to help him stand. Staring at the dragon, he tried to work out what to do next. Suddenly, his vision flashed blue and his body felt as cold as ice. As if he was being controlled by some unseen force, he hefted his sword and threw it at the dragon, just as it dived for another go. The sword spun end over end, and by some miracle lodged itself into the dragon’s chest. A controlled dive turning into a uncoordinated landing very quickly, and the dragon smashed into the ground, throwing up dust. The dwarves swarmed it and, to the dragon, must have seemed like ants swarming a spider. Hacking, bashing and chopping began and continued long after the foul thing was dead. Who struck the final blow? No one could say. No one wanted to know.

(Seeing red, both literally and figuratively. They're covered in blood)

Hacking off a toe, it being the easiest thing to carry, Barbarossa turned around and, without a word, headed for home.

That night

Darkness had fallen and for fear of ghostly reprisal, the people of Foothills had let the dragon lie. A blue light flared, dimly, and could not be seen from more than ten meters away. There was a low laugh, one that chilled the bones of any watcher, animal or otherwise, and then the dragon began to glow.

Valhalla

“What do you mean I can’t go back down? You did it for Olon!” said Raptor, angrily.
“We were lucky. Olon took a fatal wound to the back, but we could stitch it back up and from the right angle, it didn't look fatal. Stab wounds and puncture wounds are easy. Your body has been quite thoroughly destroyed and quite frankly, the attention we would garner from rebuilding it would be quite dangerous. I am sorry. There are other factors as well. We cannot influence the mortal plane as much as you think. We would if we could, believe me. We need all the edge we can.”
“…I guess. I guess. Hey, what’s to drink here?” asked Raptor. The room was filled with pipe smoke, singing, dancing, alcohol, wenches, alcohol, fighting and alcohol.
“What do you want to drink?”
Raptor grinned. Wasn’t so bad then. Wasn’t so bad.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 12, 2009, 08:36:24 am by Jackrabbit »

Limul Thak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1208 on: September 05, 2009, 10:20:30 am »

Limul Thak's Journal

Medic! Medic! :o

"Err, Raptor was the medic. I am sorry."

Ugh. Alright, then. That dragon's made my day. Now I have to go make his.

~LT

This was written while Raptor was dying. I have to say that Limul will miss him. Oh Danny booooooy... :'(
This game is so strange.
The horses have TEEN ANGST.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #1209 on: September 05, 2009, 11:12:25 am »

Why couldn't it have killed someone who DIDN'T know how to put on a band-aid!?

Est Sularus Oth Mithas

GruffyBears

• Bay Watcher
  • Prodigal
    • View Profile
    • Creature Club Podcast
« Reply #1210 on: September 05, 2009, 02:01:09 pm »

Walter's journal,

We lost our first man to Death today. Burned alive by the dragon we were sent to kill. I remember someone remarking at one point, maybe it was Barbarossa; "It'd take a dragon to kill even one of us." How apt. He was one of the most underappreciated of the squad, despite his neccessity. I'm not sure how we'll deal with the body, as cremation would be...untackful.

I hope we can all just leave this place and get Raptor out of our minds.
I grow old … I grow old …
I shall wear the bottoms of my trousers rolled.
- T.S Eliot

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #1211 on: September 05, 2009, 02:18:43 pm »

Howsabout a proper dwarven burial? We shall encase him in the treasure we can't get from the dragon's lair! Now, we just need some grappling hooks to use to get up the cliff.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas

Keita

• Bay Watcher
  • Easily Confused
    • View Profile
« Reply #1212 on: September 05, 2009, 02:42:04 pm »

ROCKET JUMP!

Or come to think of it.

BLACKPOWDER JUMP!
Gravity is a government conspiracy to keep us down

CJ1145

• Bay Watcher
  • *Insert Meme Here*
    • View Profile
« Reply #1213 on: September 05, 2009, 10:37:09 pm »

Kogan's Journal

Raptor died. I'd rather not talk about it. The bastard Olon's been quiet about it; he seems to be affected by it, though in what way I don't know. Pappy's been shut up for some time now, I don't know if I'll hear from him again. He's told me enough to rebuild our city, and I thank him for it, but I don't know if it's enough. I'm supposed to be a leader here, I was bloody useless.

The Hounds of Hell; I couldn't lead them; I can't lead Eli Eremo, I can't lead a city, I can't lead myself, I can't lead anything, I can't lead anyone...

A character is not fully developed if there is no negative to go with the positive.
This being Homestuck, I'm not sure whether that's post-scratch Rose or Vriska with a wig.

WorkerDrone

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey, if you can dream it, you can do it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1214 on: September 06, 2009, 06:40:41 am »

Scribbled hastily, with slight markings of blood spattered about the page, a less formal entry made.

Olon's Journal

We've lost more men, some overnight during the journey to this new land, and only now does it strike home to them that we have lost one of our comrades in arms. The fact that we have all experienced enough death, and indeed a rough number of that being most of our civilization, does the fall of a brave warrior warrant icy regard when I refuse to comment. Raptor was a good soldier, he fought bravely, and died in battle. All who die in battle shall battle forever. All who live in battle shall continue to battle as long as they live. The the matter is that nothing has changed. Raptor is off in the Afterlands, whether it be in Valhalla, the Winterlands, or even the depths. He'll show them all how a Dwarf fights right and proper, afterlife or not. And since I know for fact cold sleep doesn't await us, I refuse to go down without blood on my hands and battle in mind.

The page begins to struggle with literacy a bit when it all starts to become clear again, now in dark, bold writ, neatly folded right into the page as if part of the paper rather than ink, almost like a burn but not quite the same.

There's not quite a time like the present for battle, you know.

Perhaps. Something tells me we're no done yet. That dragon went down far to easily.

Maybe so, but we'll never find out if you waste your time moping about with your pretty writing! Turn me loose again upon some foes!

Though the axe can be bothersome...infuriatingly bothersome...he has just the same spirit as I!

I know what your writing you know. I'm for all intents and purposes right here. Stop referring to me in the third person!

On the otherhand, maybe its time this axe learned a new trick and SHUT UP.

« Last Edit: September 06, 2009, 06:43:31 am by WorkerDrone »
Pages: 1 ... 79 80 [81] 82 83 ... 105