Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: fainting Carpenter  (Read 1041 times)

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
fainting Carpenter
« on: April 24, 2009, 06:06:21 pm »

Right, I have a carpenter who keeps randomly collapsing unconscious, his only would is a bruised right eye, would this cause him to collapse repeatedly?

dornbeast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: fainting Carpenter
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2009, 06:18:01 pm »

Right, I have a carpenter who keeps randomly collapsing unconscious, his only would is a bruised right eye, would this cause him to collapse repeatedly?

Have you scrolled down?  I find my dwarves often hide serious injuries below the bottom of the screen.
Quote from: Dornbeast
Urist Austin, Axedwarf.  A dwarf barely alive.  Gentledwarves, we can rebuild him. We have the technology. We have the capability to build the world's first bionic dwarf. Urist Austin will be that dwarf. Better than he was before. Better, stronger, faster.

Guy Montag

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2009, 06:24:53 pm »

Eyes can only have one type of injury and thats "torn out of head"

You can't have a bruised/mangled eye that I know of.

Your carpenter lost an eye and the current version is buggy with eyes because its considered an "amputated" part that is still painful.

Meanwhile my wrestler with a torn out lung is happily blinking along like it never happened, except he won't spar anymore.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2009, 06:29:03 pm »

yes, that is where I found his bruised eye

Spoiler: His status (click to show/hide)

Mister Thou

• Bay Watcher
  • out of ointment and out of time
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2009, 06:32:20 pm »

It's been torn out, unfortunately.
As has been said, "gone" is the only type of wound an eye can receive.
"Bruised" is also grey, but a lighter shade.

Vactor

• Bay Watcher
  • ^^ DF 1.0 ^^
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2009, 10:16:02 pm »

get his toughness up higher and he'll probably pass out less, make him a pump operator or a bookkeeper for a bit
Wreck of Theseus: My 2D Roguelite Mech Platformer
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=141525.0

My AT-ST spore creature http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0btwvL9CNlA

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2009, 11:43:15 pm »

And start training his replacement. 

(And a real military.)

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2009, 12:58:22 am »

Echoing what Vactor said, here. I recommend making a room with a few iron screw pumps, so your dwarves can pump iron.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2009, 01:56:50 pm »

Right, ok. THanks for clearing that up.

Craftling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2009, 09:32:13 pm »

Im just going to re-direct this thread a little. I have 3 :odwarves with damaged lungs. Since they all keep passing out and the only similarity between them is the torn lung I came to the conclusion that this was what was causing them to faint. Is my reasoning correct, and is there anyway to stop them from doing this?

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2009, 09:35:54 pm »

Get them superdwarvenly tough.  Only way.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2009, 01:30:44 am »

Well, tough-er, but essentially yeah, that's it.

The "lung" thing is coincidence - it seems that pretty much any organ damage will have that same symptom, and usually won't heal.

If you find they won't spar, they'll still make great archers.  And if they'll never become deadly fighters, making them guard and/or sheriffs is the recommended career path.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2009, 03:39:57 am »

Okay, I have a dorf with a yellow upepr left leg wound, and he been sitting in bed for a very long while now.

The injury was red. So its improved, but its going on near a year. And it just sitting in bed, so I'm unsure of how to get him to work to improve his stats.

So what should I do?
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2009, 03:54:44 am »

You're doing it.

You're in a different situation.

Apparently the game distinguishes between injured dwarfs and healing dwarfs.  A healing dorf won't work (or not much), just heal.  And healing is random - a % chance each season, apparently.  So, a terrible injury (that can heal) might heal faster than a minor one that's just consistently unlucky.

The organs on the dorfs above are "healed" as much as they can get, but that's only up to a point.  So they're healed as much as they're going to get, but now crippled at some level, and passing out from the pain.  Getting more tough will stop the passing out, but any and all "healing" is done.  You're still waiting for yours to heal, which is diff.

Once the leg injury does heal, that dorf should(?) be 100%.  Red is pretty bad ("mangled"), but he's over the hump.  But red wounds can take years to heal, so it's not surprising that it's taken this long so far.  With luck, the yellow will go to... whatever that color is - olive green? - next season, and then to (light!) grey soon after that, and he'll be good to go in no time.

Meanwhile, see wiki articles on attributes, sparring and cross-training for suggestions on how best to increase stats - once your dwarfs get more Tough, this will happen less often, and they'll heal faster when it does.

Xinael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2009, 07:50:36 am »

I once had a guy bed-ridden for three years after a red upper leg injury, and it got down to grey in that time. They do heal, but for the upper levels of injury, it can take a LONG time. Think about it - they have no medical technology and their limb or whatever is WORSE than broken. It's gonna take a while.
Pages: [1] 2