Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Maybe bugs or not ? Sleeping and Restricted area.  (Read 1087 times)

juhis

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Maybe bugs or not ? Sleeping and Restricted area.
« on: April 24, 2009, 08:36:19 am »

I have been irritated couple of things happening in Dwarf fortress, the other is sleeping dwarfs
in the wilderness. And when the colony gets an attack and you call all dwarfs in the cave the sleepers will wake up but they dont move. And immediately when you set the option to dwarfs can go outside, they fell back to sleep. There was also other thing with tired dwarfs but i dont recall now what was it.

And the second issue is the restricted areas, I cant get them to work. Usually my game ends by all dwarfs killing them selves but going to restricted area which I put there because of lava or monsters. Every dwarfs goes to there and everybody will die gradually. Last game I had a pool with carps, when one dwarf dies by carp when drinking the water all the other dwarfs cancel their work and tries to salvage the remains and they will die, and even more dwarfs tries to get the remains, and die. Even if the area is marked restricted, its still the place with highest priority to go, cancelling their jobs and all. This is sooooo annoying.
The only way of preventing this is go and see the restricted area every now and then and mark the whole area to forbid items. But I think the restriced are should do this automatically ?

Oh the third thing when dwarf takes a new action like going to drink water from a lake or river. You don't have any idea what lake or river is the dwarf going when he cancels it "water contaminated" if you immediately zoom to that dwarf, he can be anywhere in the map and you dont know what was the lake he was trying to go because he cancels his action before even going to that lake. So i cannot set that lake to restricted area or remove the drinking area, so now the result is flooding the log of dwarfs that cant drink of some contaminated lake because i dont know which wan it is !

Anybody encoutered these ?

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
Re: Maybe bugs or not ? Sleeping and Restricted area.
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2009, 08:53:45 am »

1. Was there any underground area for them to go to?

2. Read the wiki article on traffic zones -- they don't do what you're thinking.  Use auto-forbid in (o)rders -> (F)orbid so that dwarves' clothing will be forbidden when they die.  Set a water source/fishing zone in a safe area of water and hopefully they'll go there instead.

3. Next version will have more control over announcements, including zooming to more types of announcements.

Finally, if you're not reasonably sure the issue is a bug, you should post it in Gameplay Questions instead.  You can move this thread there via the controls in the lower left corner.

sausage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Maybe bugs or not ? Sleeping and Restricted area.
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2009, 07:51:46 am »

for #3 what you could do is make sure you have booze (always a good idea) and set water source activity zones,

#2: restricting traffic doesnt change anything but pathfinding, its mainly used to make so dwarves will go around them to do things however if there is no other way through they go through them anyways

#1 is probably a bug
Of course, why else would dwarves risk life and limb to retrive one sock during a full scale siege onslaught.
The depressing thing is that they quite often lose life and limb(s) in the process.