Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 29

Author Topic: Lame artifacts!  (Read 54764 times)

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
Re: Lame artifacts!
« Reply #90 on: May 20, 2009, 04:42:58 am »

Side effect of giving dorfs custom professions, and then not looking at them when they do something like get a fey mood :P

Been there - once.  Now my custom professions are listed as "nicknames", until they're unmoodable.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: May 20, 2009, 12:35:19 pm »

I'd like to point to the lame design of my coins.  I know they aren't artifacts, but they really are lame.  You know your coins have mountain goats, groundhogs, wolves or SOMETHING on the back?  Well mine...

This is a stack of 9 ercog copper coin.
This is a copper currency of ercog from the year 216.  On the front of the coin is a well-designed image of a dwarf and dwarves.  The dwarf is surrounded by the dwarves.  On the coin's back is a superiorly designed image of a dwarf and dwarves.  The dwarf is surrounded by the dwarves.
Anyway to change them?  Hmm... magma might help.

doctorspoof

• Bay Watcher
  • [FIREBREATH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: May 20, 2009, 01:45:01 pm »

See? Now THAT is a lame artifact!  Poorly done, sir, poorly done!

We all know weapon quality improves damage right? (Says so on wiki if you didn't)
Artifacts are of the highest quality
'nuff said :)

Yeah, I think I've read the wiki.  On the "Weapon" page, Artifact = Masterwork. But, point in fact, anyone can write anything on that - long-standing mistakes are corrected every day. (If you didn't know.) 

"Quality" can refer to many things, both formally and (as is too often the case in the Wiki) informally.  "Highest quality" is both a creative explanation of the concept, and a reference to the value. 

The RAW's imply that the weapon qualities end at Masterwork, and that Artifacts have masterwork modifiers for combat.  Or at least that's as much as analysis has found.

Urban legend and "It sure seems that way" and "That's what everyone says" and "Well, it only makes sense" seem to be the only sources and support for this belief.

Next time you get an artifact weapon, give it to an untrained champion in it's type to spar with.
You'll see how powerful it is by how many injuries you get. My champion with an atrifact steel sword that menaced with spikes of steel and hanging rings of steel instantly decapitated his sparring partner when he started training. It was also his wife.
He wasn't best pleased for awhile.
The best way to avoid tantrum spirals is to make sure no-one lives long enough to make any friends.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: May 20, 2009, 02:41:50 pm »

See? Now THAT is a lame artifact!  Poorly done, sir, poorly done!

We all know weapon quality improves damage right? (Says so on wiki if you didn't)
Artifacts are of the highest quality
'nuff said :)

Yeah, I think I've read the wiki.  On the "Weapon" page, Artifact = Masterwork. But, point in fact, anyone can write anything on that - long-standing mistakes are corrected every day. (If you didn't know.) 

"Quality" can refer to many things, both formally and (as is too often the case in the Wiki) informally.  "Highest quality" is both a creative explanation of the concept, and a reference to the value. 

The RAW's imply that the weapon qualities end at Masterwork, and that Artifacts have masterwork modifiers for combat.  Or at least that's as much as analysis has found.

Urban legend and "It sure seems that way" and "That's what everyone says" and "Well, it only makes sense" seem to be the only sources and support for this belief.

Next time you get an artifact weapon, give it to an untrained champion in it's type to spar with.
You'll see how powerful it is by how many injuries you get. My champion with an atrifact steel sword that menaced with spikes of steel and hanging rings of steel instantly decapitated his sparring partner when he started training. It was also his wife.
He wasn't best pleased for awhile.
Lots of bludgeoning injuries when I let my champion with the artefact iron mace in.  3 members of the royal guard and 2 fortress guard are now lying in bed resting injuries (luckily, due to the high number of guards in my fortress (18, ie the recommended number, no soldiers got hurt).  I decided to put him out on patrol.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: May 20, 2009, 05:57:42 pm »

(Discussion of artifact weapon damage is going way off topic - starting new thread here:

http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=35958.0)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: May 20, 2009, 06:35:30 pm »

How about a..... *drumroll!* Barrel! :P

Its the first artifact in my current game. It was made by the carpenter/woodcutter I started with. She was working on making some barrels and I guess she decided to go and make an ornamental one. No idea if it can actually be used as it's value is 4800, but if it does get used, at least it will get admired among all the 'common' barrels in the food stockpile.

« Last Edit: May 20, 2009, 06:38:02 pm by smjjames »

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: May 20, 2009, 07:08:01 pm »

Yeah, I dunno... it can be used, so maybe not so lame... nah. That's pretty lame.

Try to put it somewhere high-traffic (tho' manipulating barrel placement is an arcane art, to be sure.)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: May 20, 2009, 07:26:12 pm »

Here's your answer :)

The happy thoughts don't seem to have taken effect quite yet, but given time, I guess the effect will show up.

Jhoosier

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://wilcotangofoxtrot.blogspot.com
« Reply #98 on: May 21, 2009, 05:43:11 pm »

I'd like to offer up my artifact limestone crown encircled with bands of....wait for it.....limestone!

I've had a long string of useless artifacts like this, and half of them are by possession, so no lengendary either.  boo.

Not to mention, I've had several moody ones go nuts and die because I embarked without an anvil and didn't realize it until one of my moody guys wanted a forge.  It gets even better.  The first dwarven caravan that shows up has a steel anvil, but right after setting up, we get sieged, and they half get slaughtered, and the traders running from the depot breaks the trade cycle, so the game thinks they're trading, but all the traders have run off.  And none of the traders killed had the anvil. double boo.

Lord_Shadow

• Bay Watcher
  • [UNDEAD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: May 21, 2009, 08:02:18 pm »

Her is a list, I'm doing them from memory

An oak bin ~2400
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

A alunite hatch cover ~1500

A native copper door ~5000

The deer bone bracelet is a lengends item, i didn't make the game did in year 2...
Urist McCarpenter cancels rest: QUITSCREWINGWITHMAHBUCKETSYOUSONOFABITCHES!!!
Urist Mccarpenter has gone stark raving mad!
Urist McWalrusCarpenter cancels rest: Has u seen mah bukkit?!

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: May 21, 2009, 09:00:00 pm »

At least you can USE them! Some of us can't!
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

The13thRonin

• Bay Watcher
  • Profession: Handsome Rogue
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: May 22, 2009, 09:55:26 pm »

If people are looking for more varied artifacts (of the lame and non-lame variety) and you're sick of seeing *goat-bone* and *turtle-shell* bracelets maybe you should try my new mod: Dwarf Fortress DIG DEEPER.

http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=35736.0

I haven't calculated this but because of all the new metals, creatures, wood, gems, stone and other material the possibility for artifacts is GREATLY increased, maybe even two to three fold. Artifacts are a bit more exciting that way I think...

It really rocks when you get a Mithril cabinet studded with Meteoric Iron and menacing with spikes of Black Marble. Or a Red Kangaroo leather backpack adorned with hanging rings of Nordic Gold and decorated with Orange Jade.
I'm Digging Deeper... AGAIN... You Should Too!

Dig Deeper DIAMOND - 750+ items of new content including; new plants, new creatures, new metals, new woods, new gems, new stones, new crafts and much, much more.

Time Kitten

• Bay Watcher
  • Evil Spirit
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: May 23, 2009, 03:30:31 am »

Until you get a noble requesting specific materials?

Kel the Oblivious

• Bay Watcher
  • A Vile Force of Dorkness has Arrived!
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: May 23, 2009, 04:00:49 am »

Artifact Bin. Currently being used to hold all my artifact stuff that can be stored in a bin.

Kobemagseth Alath ulosh "Troubledached the Bolt of Stigmata." A weapon bin (Oaken) <#7>

This is a Weapon Bin (Oaken) <#7> All craftdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is encircled with bands of oak.

2400 dorfbucks.

At least it has a use, and people admire it, cause I have it sitting in the middle of the main inner meeting area. with a couple useless shiny artifacts. A ring, a scepter, a totem, a wooden sword, and a void crystal cross bow. All artifacts.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2009, 04:02:45 am by Kel the Oblivious »
To err is to man, as to kill your entire population because you forgot a single stone block in your incredibly amazing steam aquaduct system is to dwarf

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: May 23, 2009, 04:01:29 am »

Her is a list, I'm doing them from memory

An oak bin ~2400

A alunite hatch cover ~1500

A native copper door ~5000

The deer bone bracelet is a lengends item, i didn't make the game did in year 2...
Those actually all sound ok.  The bin might be hard to place, but at least you can use the hatch cover and door as furniture.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 29