Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 29

Author Topic: Lame artifacts!  (Read 54768 times)

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
Re: Lame artifacts!
« Reply #75 on: May 18, 2009, 11:00:23 pm »

I think artifact weapons get a bonus above and beyond the usual material bonus, anyway, so it probably cuts goblins like a chainsaw through butter.

Like buttah!

However, where do you get this from? This observation has been made before, but so far still lacks any evidence other than "seems like it to me".

Cogmeister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 19, 2009, 12:16:14 am »

My first artifact was from a secretive mood that hit a carpenter. A carpenter/woodcutter/axedwarf/woodcrafter that was one of the starting seven, actually, and generally awesome. I got all excited thinking I'd have an awesome artifact. Instead, I got The Oily Zeal. A cedar grate encircled with bands of cedar and larch, which menaced with spikes of larch.

Worth only 4800, but for some bizzare reason, engravings of it started popping up all over my fortress. Weird, but semi-neat.

GoneWacko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 19, 2009, 03:14:00 am »

Albeit slightly off topic, it's not really deserving of it's own topic (especially because the chances of there already being a topic on this are quite high, even though I can't seem to find it): What's the easiest way to get one of my swordsdwarves to pick up the shiny anal molester? Forbid all the other short swords, including the one the dwarf in question is carrying? I seem to recall something along those lines. Not sure if I was supposed to forbid or dump it though.

My first artifact was from a secretive mood that hit a carpenter. A carpenter/woodcutter/axedwarf/woodcrafter that was one of the starting seven, actually, and generally awesome. I got all excited thinking I'd have an awesome artifact. Instead, I got The Oily Zeal. A cedar grate encircled with bands of cedar and larch, which menaced with spikes of larch.

Worth only 4800, but for some bizzare reason, engravings of it started popping up all over my fortress. Weird, but semi-neat.
Indeed I too have had quite a number of wooden grates.  One day I hope to get something like a wooden hatch, with an engraving of a goblin making a plaintive gesture. I will then install it over my Pit of Death™. The irony when a goblin siege approaches my gates will make the universe implode upon itself.
This is a stack of 9 finely-prepared Prickle berry stew. The ingredients are finely minced Prickle berry, finely minced Prickle berry and superiorly minced Prickle berry.

Time Kitten

• Bay Watcher
  • Evil Spirit
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 19, 2009, 03:18:43 am »

To get that weapon wielded, first... Champian Dwarf.  Second, no weapons wielded (set to restler, or dump the weapon fom his hand... forbidding might even prevent him from dopping it) third, artifact closest available sword after a drink, a nap, a meal, and a break. 

Volfram

• Bay Watcher
  • hate you all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 19, 2009, 09:10:44 am »

and a party and another drink and hauling several dozen stones to a stockpile and constructing a building and deconstructing a building and another nap and another party and a meeting and...
I think artifact weapons get a bonus above and beyond the usual material bonus, anyway, so it probably cuts goblins like a chainsaw through butter.

Like buttah!

However, where do you get this from? This observation has been made before, but so far still lacks any evidence other than "seems like it to me".
Personally, I get it from Boatmurdered, when the one prisoner is mauling the entire fortress guard armed with nothing but the artifact amulet he forged a couple of years earlier.
Andir and Roxorius "should" die.

Yes, actually, I am trying to get myself banned.  I wish Toady would quit working on this worthless piece of junk and go back to teaching math.

doctorspoof

• Bay Watcher
  • [FIREBREATH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: May 19, 2009, 11:23:42 am »

Like buttah!

We all know weapon quality improves damage right? (Says so on wiki if you didn't)
Artifacts are of the highest quality
'nuff said :)
The best way to avoid tantrum spirals is to make sure no-one lives long enough to make any friends.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 19, 2009, 12:59:24 pm »

Update on my cage: it's more than enough to keep 4 nobles happy.

GoneWacko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 19, 2009, 03:30:32 pm »

Indeed I too have had quite a number of wooden grates.  One day I hope to get something like a wooden hatch, with an engraving of a goblin making a plaintive gesture. I will then install it over my Pit of Death™. The irony when a goblin siege approaches my gates will make the universe implode upon itself.

Later that day... ::)
Ennol Aroz, "The Reputation of Savagery", a Chestnut hatch cover
This is a Chestnut hatch cover. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is decorated with Birch and green glass and encircled with bands of turtle shell. This object menaces with spikes of Chestnut and goblin bone. On this item is an image of Ngokang Anguishedfell the goblin ans Mistêm Paperempires the dwarf in Granite. Ngokang Anguishedfell is making a plaintive gesture. Mistêm Paperempires is striking a menacing pose. The artwork relates to the mortal wounding of the goblin Ngokang Anguishedfell by the dwarf Mistêm Paperempires in Scrapeddyes in the early spring of 204 during The Sixth Attempted Abduction at Scrapeddyes.

Not quite as ironic as just having a terrified goblin on it, but I do like the coincidence of this goblin's surname being Anguishedfell.
And the menacing spikes of goblin bone are a nice way to add insult to injury I suppose.

All this is worth a whopping 9600 bucks :(
« Last Edit: May 19, 2009, 03:32:35 pm by GoneWacko »
This is a stack of 9 finely-prepared Prickle berry stew. The ingredients are finely minced Prickle berry, finely minced Prickle berry and superiorly minced Prickle berry.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 19, 2009, 03:33:37 pm »

Like buttah!

My artifact mace certainly seems to pwn.  But then again, the user already killed a titan and a dragon without it, so she's pretty hardcore anyway.

Well, we all know that Masterpiece beat normal, and I believe artifacts are a set up.

Archbaron

• Bay Watcher
  • [LEADER_TYPE:BARON]
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 19, 2009, 06:19:24 pm »

A planter of mine recently went into a fey mood and gathered up silver and goat bones then claimed one of my craftdwarf workshops and got to work. Within a few in-game days, he finished his creation:

That's right. A door made of goat bones with a random picture of a silver ocean on it. Worth 14400 dwarfbucks, though. It'll be the door for one of my nobles eventually. I think the best part about this artifact is how revered it is. My engravers engrave a picture of this door over everything in my fortress. It is engraved more often than my founder. Maybe the dwarves like tricking other dwarves into thinking there's a door there, hah!

Archbaron

• Bay Watcher
  • [LEADER_TYPE:BARON]
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: May 19, 2009, 06:51:42 pm »

As if it wasn't enough, one of my hunters decided it would be fun to withdraw from society and mumble something about goat bones:

After this, I received about 20 immigrants, so at least these artifacts are doing something for me. It's worth 4800 dwarfbucks.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: May 19, 2009, 06:59:18 pm »

See? Now THAT is a lame artifact!  Poorly done, sir, poorly done!

We all know weapon quality improves damage right? (Says so on wiki if you didn't)
Artifacts are of the highest quality
'nuff said :)

Yeah, I think I've read the wiki.  On the "Weapon" page, Artifact = Masterwork. But, point in fact, anyone can write anything on that - long-standing mistakes are corrected every day. (If you didn't know.) 

"Quality" can refer to many things, both formally and (as is too often the case in the Wiki) informally.  "Highest quality" is both a creative explanation of the concept, and a reference to the value. 

The RAW's imply that the weapon qualities end at Masterwork, and that Artifacts have masterwork modifiers for combat.  Or at least that's as much as analysis has found.

Urban legend and "It sure seems that way" and "That's what everyone says" and "Well, it only makes sense" seem to be the only sources and support for this belief.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2009, 07:01:11 pm by Albedo »

JmzLost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: May 20, 2009, 02:02:04 am »

So I get my 1st wave of immigrants, and the weaponsmith immediately claims a forge.  I'm thinking "Great, Legendary Weaponsmith right off the bat."  Then he grabs both of my brass bars, the only bars I have in the fort (hadn't started smelting ore yet.)

What does he make?

A Brass bracelet, menacing with spikes of brass and cat leather.

Turns out he was a METALsmith, with Novice in Furnace Operating, Metalcrafting, and Weaponsmithing.  And since Metalcrafting is listed before Weaponsmithing, it wins in the case of a tie. 

So now I have a Legendary Metalcrafter, making Aluminum crafts, and buying out the whole Dwarven caravan for a bin of bracelets.

Not the worst deal ever, but the letdown after all of the anticipation certainly qualifies. I still think he was trying to make Brass knuckles, though  :P

JMZ
Also, obviously, magma avalanches and tsunamis weren't exactly a contingency covered in the mission briefing.
I can assure you that Ardentdikes is not the first fortress to be flooded with magma. What's unusual is that we actually meant to flood it with magma.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: May 20, 2009, 02:24:35 am »

So I get my 1st wave of immigrants, and the weaponsmith immediately claims a forge...

Turns out he was a METALsmith, with Novice in Furnace Operating, Metalcrafting, and Weaponsmithing.

Actually, not a very subtle distinction.  ;)  kinda important, differences like that.

JmzLost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: May 20, 2009, 03:32:58 am »

So I get my 1st wave of immigrants, and the weaponsmith immediately claims a forge...

Turns out he was a METALsmith, with Novice in Furnace Operating, Metalcrafting, and Weaponsmithing.

Actually, not a very subtle distinction.  ;)  kinda important, differences like that.

Well, yeah, but all I remembered about him when he hit his mood was "weaponsmith".  Side effect of giving dorfs custom professions, and then not looking at them when they do something like get a fey mood :P

Any misunderstanding was my own fault, but the disappointment was still very real, and very harsh.

JMZ
Also, obviously, magma avalanches and tsunamis weren't exactly a contingency covered in the mission briefing.
I can assure you that Ardentdikes is not the first fortress to be flooded with magma. What's unusual is that we actually meant to flood it with magma.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 29