Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 29

Author Topic: Lame artifacts!  (Read 56094 times)

Spectre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Lame artifacts!
« Reply #225 on: March 19, 2010, 09:58:18 am »

After what i read here, mine is probably pretty awsome in comparison, but it was a posession (so no skills) and it used all of my fire imp bones, i was saving for something fancy.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Fullmoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Elfless
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: March 19, 2010, 11:18:04 am »

Well, me had once steel chain with bands of redroot dyed cloth and GCS silk and spikes of leather. Small bearded pervert.

Actually cheap wooden rings are not that bad - they doesn't consume valuable resource. Got once bauxite cabinet with spikes and rings of bauxite when actively building magma channels routing system on a map without any bauxite.

But really most useless (not cheap) was crystal rock puzzlebox about 340000$, spent on this little shiny trinket 3 bars of aluminum, one of platinum, one of gold and a black diamond.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2010, 07:12:00 am by Fullmoon »
Quote from: Fishbulb
I got an artifact cave spider silk sock this morning. It's worth 5,720 dwarfbucks, and it doesn't menace with spikes of anything.
Dwarfs don't have issues.  Dwarfs merely have inspiration for the legendary artifact they will one day make.
Quote from: Urist son of Urist
Considering the general state of DF, I think Einstein and Newton are already rotating fast enough that you could hook them up to pumps and use them to kill Elves.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: March 19, 2010, 12:10:53 pm »

On the other side of the spectrum, I once got an EMERALD TABLE.

That's right, a table made from solid emerald. Makes me feel like I'm in the Wizard of Oz.
Err... in the original book only the outside walls of the the city were emerald. Scratch that, they were only green. Could have been cheap green glass*. Oz tricked visitors(and inhabitants alike) into thinking the city was made of emerald by making everyone wear green glasses. Cheap bastard.

*The land of Oz wasn't a sandless map, it was surrounded by desert, so they could have built a city from green glass blocks.
<suddenly has a map idea>

I think I beat you on creepiest artifact ever.

The name makes it. Maybe the designer was thinking about what happened if he showed it to his wife.
All you need to do is chain a few elves and goblin lashers nearby. And make it your dwarven "justice" center.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Trigonous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: March 19, 2010, 01:21:19 pm »

I once had a fort with three artifact wooden floodgates.  They weren't even worth enough dwarfbucks to place in a noble's room.
So of all the things you can do in DF, it's the fractal artifacts that make you think dwarves are crazy.

Never mind the magma falls, the atom smashers, the cog-and-axle turing-complete computers, or the colonizing of Hell itself... all those are fine, but man, those recursive artifacts! Where do they get such ideas?

praguepride

• Bay Watcher
  • DF is serious business!
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: March 19, 2010, 06:16:02 pm »

I got a pig tail shirt, decorated with Pig tail. I'll look it up to see how much it was worth... laaame!

But what else are you going to do when your clothier goes moody?
Man, dwarves are such a**holes!

Even automatic genocide would be a better approach

Fullmoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Elfless
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: March 20, 2010, 07:14:15 am »

I think I beat you on creepiest artifact ever.

The name makes it. Maybe the designer was thinking about what happened if he showed it to his wife.
All you need to do is chain a few elves and goblin lashers nearby. And make it your dwarven "justice" center.
[/quote]

Or assign it to your Dungeon Master.
Quote from: Fishbulb
I got an artifact cave spider silk sock this morning. It's worth 5,720 dwarfbucks, and it doesn't menace with spikes of anything.
Dwarfs don't have issues.  Dwarfs merely have inspiration for the legendary artifact they will one day make.
Quote from: Urist son of Urist
Considering the general state of DF, I think Einstein and Newton are already rotating fast enough that you could hook them up to pumps and use them to kill Elves.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: March 20, 2010, 02:46:48 pm »

Lame but awesome in its description of elves.

Worth 6,000 dwarf bucks and is from Dwarfier mod.

The only other artifact in this early fort is "Vanishedvisions the Evisceration of Flickers." It's a totally awesome name for a tulipwood bed that menaces with spikes of tulipwood. Ooooooh. Scary bed.

Hitti-Litti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: March 20, 2010, 06:25:42 pm »

My first artifact ever in DF(didn't have the materials the dwarf needed in previous moods -> death chamber) was a turtle shell amulet, decorated with bands of shells. It also had an engraving: a dwarf in a, surprise, shell!

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: March 20, 2010, 08:16:22 pm »

My first artifact ever in DF(didn't have the materials the dwarf needed in previous moods -> death chamber) was a turtle shell amulet, decorated with bands of shells. It also had an engraving: a dwarf in a, surprise, shell!

Someone should write a fiction "Dwarf in the Shell" about turtles in the water-based dwarven computer.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: March 20, 2010, 08:27:46 pm »

I've never heard of that engraving, unless you meant that it was an angraving using shell.

Anyways, I just had a lame-ish artifact. I got a green glass trumpet after a nice string of useful artifacts. I've still got alot of glassmakers available for potential moods, so its not a real loss.

Kanil

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:PILLAR:kanil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: March 20, 2010, 09:13:30 pm »

Tosedbardum "Stopfights" a Willow chair

This is a Willow chair. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. On the item is an image of Stopfights the Willow chair in Willow.

Useful, yes, but still lame.

You put it in your dining room. The happy thoughts from admiring it will prevent any fights from breaking out.

Remarkably fitting name.
Yah, it sounds like minecraft with content, you have obviously missed the point, people dont like content, they like different coloured blocks.
Seems to work fine with my copy. As soon as I loaded the human caravan came by and the world burst into fire.

Trigonous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: March 21, 2010, 01:58:37 am »

Okay, now I have an artifact floodgate that "menaces with spikes of pig tail".

How do you make a pigtail spike?
So of all the things you can do in DF, it's the fractal artifacts that make you think dwarves are crazy.

Never mind the magma falls, the atom smashers, the cog-and-axle turing-complete computers, or the colonizing of Hell itself... all those are fine, but man, those recursive artifacts! Where do they get such ideas?

ungulateman

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: haunting moos]
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: March 21, 2010, 07:47:34 am »

The same way you make rings out of leather, or bands out of bone.

MAGIC! SCIENCE!
That's the great thing about this forum. We can derail any discussion into any other topic.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: March 21, 2010, 04:53:07 pm »

Okay, now I have an artifact floodgate that "menaces with spikes of pig tail".

How do you make a pigtail spike?

You soak it in cat tallow.  Doubles as an emergency food source!
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Ronniesoak

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: March 23, 2010, 03:36:59 pm »

Just got my first artifact, from my first fortress to make it that far. A door, of towercap, decorated with towercap. Total value: 3600.

At least I got a legendary carpenter out of it.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 29