Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 29

Author Topic: Lame artifacts!  (Read 54914 times)

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Lame artifacts!
« Reply #165 on: January 06, 2010, 08:52:28 pm »

It's a strange mood, isn't it? Shouldn't they be supposed to produce wacky shit? Like beds out of gemstone, chains out of cat bone, or armor out of a brittle metal like pig iron.

If you have a problem with that, you could forbid all but the fanciest metals as soon as a smith gets a mood (which won't save you from the need of allowing metals you disagree with if the smith happens to like them).

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: January 06, 2010, 09:00:05 pm »

my worst ever was, a blowgun, which would be fine if it added it's value but, it was made of wood and decorated with pigtail cloth dyed red, it was circled with it making me think, what is this so when the dwarf bleeds all over his blowgun when he gets slaughtered by the enemy it won't stain the cloth???

Later on it gained a great reputation when my lone swordsman picked it up and whacked 57 goblins to death with it single handedly..  guess it wasn't too bad.
Nom nom nom

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: January 06, 2010, 09:06:35 pm »

I got a Willow amulet as my first (non-furniture) artifact. It was somehow worth $39,600. I think he used GCS silk in it, but it's really a waste of GCS silk.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

personofshadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: January 06, 2010, 10:24:22 pm »

A turtle shell chain, decorated with turtle shell and encircled with bands of turtle shell and pheasant leather valued at 4,800

Really, who makes a chain out of turtle shell? And pheasant leather? I must have had better leather than that somewhere...

Exiledhero99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: January 07, 2010, 10:50:13 am »

at least the chain can be used on the well im about to construct.

You've hit the nail on the head, also invalidating what you've said about it being one of the "worst artifacts ever". Granted, the crown is shitty, but the chain is top notch. The value might not be very high for an artifact, but it should be enough to make for a sublime well.

yes, but I can just see the story of it reaching the mountain-home: "aye, the most creative thing they've ever built there is a turtle shell chain!"

What pisses me off to no end is when weapon/armor smiths grabpig iron as the only metal. I mean come on, grab adamantine or even steel. If you are going to make it a non standard weapon material, at least make it something interesting, like gold or platinum, which would be epic.

once got a tin breastplate menacing with spikes of (much better metal that I can't remember the name of) all I could think was "come on, reverse the use of those metals!"
If you hit a dwarf with moving water with sufficient strength it will knock the baby out of the mother's arms.  The water can then be used to sweep the baby into a well or cistern for drowning.  The device which does this can also double as a mist generator.

Particleman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: January 07, 2010, 12:38:16 pm »

I got stuff like an oak ring encircled with bands of oak inmy current fort. I also have an oaken blowgun. I gt a marginally useful obsidian door encrusted with obsidian. I'm in my sixth year with twelve artifacts, and so far the only usable ones are the door, a mechanism, a weapon rack, and a coffin. The others are stuff like a skirt, a turban, the aforementioned oak ring, an idol, etc.

Nobbins

• Bay Watcher
  • Dustland
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: January 14, 2010, 06:41:52 pm »

Rotiklīlkar, a cedar barrel, menacing with spikes of Cedar. >_>
Nobbins's Tileset Shoppe
It would mean that once a year, all of your female cats suddenly explode if there are any male cats around.

xdarkcodex

• Bay Watcher
  • Watch in awe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: January 14, 2010, 06:55:36 pm »

My mayor just maid a pine bed encrusted with emeralds and had menacing spikes of gold on it.Wouldn't be very comfortable...
the statement below is true
the statement above is false

Valdier

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: January 14, 2010, 07:02:43 pm »

my engravers keep making masterpieces of dogs being killed my mountain goats.... I think i have too many dogs in my fortress.

Krelos

• Bay Watcher
  • Was nauseated by the sun recently.
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: January 14, 2010, 07:09:23 pm »

Plaitedrhyme - A turtle shell toy axe. On it is an image of thick crescents in turtle shell. On it is an image of Bomrek Mirrorsizzled surrounded by dwarfs in kimberlite. It relates to the ascension of Bomrek Mirrorsizzled to the leadership of The Town of Attack in 81.

This is actually not that bad despite its minimum value. Bomrek there, as a first act of kingship, declared war on the neighboring Ent nation. The first battle was between 600 dwarves and 200 Ents, all the ents died, though they managed to kill about 200 dwarfs too. King Bomrek was sadly among the fallen, no doubt leading the charge into the ranks of living tree monsters.
For the next 20 years the Dwarfs carried on his cause to cleanse the world of those foul abominations. Every battle was a complete rout, Dwarf losses shrinking each time, to where only 25% of the Ent kingdom is left.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2010, 07:17:09 pm by Krelos »
Quote from: Ravenplucker
Quote from: Aklyon
Quote from: smokingwreckage
In order to improve the universe's frame rate, we must all throw rocks into volcanoes and then do absolutely nothing, worldwide, for a week, to take pressure off pathfinding.
or maybe throw them into the large hadron collider to atom-smash them instead.
Not to mention to throw all available animals into tiny pits.

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: January 15, 2010, 10:28:50 pm »

Make way, make way! The glory of GOLDENWEALTHS THE GODLY WARRIOR is nigh!

"This is a Diorite Scepter."

Untouchable

• Bay Watcher
  • Gary Busey Smile Time Variety Hour
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: January 15, 2010, 10:32:28 pm »

Make way, make way! The glory of GOLDENWEALTHS THE GODLY WARRIOR is nigh!

"This is a Diorite Scepter."

???

Was that all on it? If so, that is sad.

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: January 15, 2010, 10:34:21 pm »

There was some random nonsense about alligators and some dwarf I don't know. Also it's spiky and of the highest quality, but still. For something like Golden Wealth and Godly Warrior, I'd expect something decent at least.

A Dwarven Smokeologist

• Bay Watcher
  • Shortcut to Mushrooms
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: January 15, 2010, 10:56:08 pm »

Just...weak.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

darthbob88

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: January 15, 2010, 11:26:03 pm »

Clenchedhonor, a turtle shell toy hammer. Decorated with spikes of turtle shell. Worth 2400 dwarf bucks. At least I got a legendary bone carver out of it. Other than that, everything has been fairly admirable; decorated barrel, copper spear, perfect grossular, grossular idol, all fairly valuable.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 29