Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Hacking underground river discovery  (Read 1051 times)

pokute

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Hacking underground river discovery
« on: April 23, 2009, 08:10:54 pm »

Seems that the hack to enable magma buildings (discovering magma) is well-established, but there doesn't seem to be any similar tools for enabling towercap growth (discovering underground rivers).

Is this simply a case of no one has tried to do it?  Or are there inherent technical issues that make it near impossible?
If history wasn't written by the victors, humanity's failures would be self-evident.

Zaranthan

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet Smelter
    • View Profile
Re: Hacking underground river discovery
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2009, 11:15:45 pm »

The primary issue is that testing which memory location flag marks out the discovery of subterranean water requires a huge investment of player time and effort to discover (muddying underground stone, which requires a lot of forethought; then waiting for the RNG to spawn Tower Caps, which can take ages). It's simply impractical to discover which particular bit controls tower cap growth versus which bit controls magma buildings (which you can check by hitting b-e, rather than deploying fluid engineering and waiting a few years).
Quote from: Howard, Nerf This, by Scott D. Ferguson
Villains sleep with hookers, heroes sleep with destiny.

0x517A5D

• Bay Watcher
  • Hex Editor‬‬
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2009, 01:15:30 am »

I worked on this a while ago and didn't really get anywhere.  I took a another look at it today.

There isn't a specific flag that can be set.  Every time the game places a tower cap or underground shrub, it consults a list of map features.  It scans that list to see if there is an underground river or pool, and then checks if that feature has been discovered.  I'm really iffy on what will happen if I tell the game to act as if a feature's been discovered when it may not even exist on the map.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2009, 04:33:15 am »

I worked on this a while ago and didn't really get anywhere.  I took a another look at it today.

There isn't a specific flag that can be set.  Every time the game places a tower cap or underground shrub, it consults a list of map features.  It scans that list to see if there is an underground river or pool, and then checks if that feature has been discovered.  I'm really iffy on what will happen if I tell the game to act as if a feature's been discovered when it may not even exist on the map.

Try it and find out, for SCIENCE!

pokute

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2009, 02:03:54 pm »

Wouldn't that be the same way magma buildings are checked?
If history wasn't written by the victors, humanity's failures would be self-evident.

profit

• Bay Watcher
  • Finely Crafted Engravings... Or it didn't happen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2009, 02:39:43 pm »

Try it and find out, for SCIENCE!

Yeah.. bur since it is not a single bit, he would have a lot more work to do.

Instead of a "Does magma exist 1 = Yes 0 = No" the check becomes  "Does undergound water exist -> Check list and compare to known values" which would involve hacking the exe because you are not changing a single bit, your trying to add something to a list index in memory which will require the exe to know your going to do such a thing or it will simply crash with a protection fault or worse keep running causing all sorts of havoc.
Mods and the best utilities for dwarf fortress
Community Mods and utilities thread.