Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: LotR Mod  (Read 1119 times)

timmeh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
LotR Mod
« on: April 23, 2009, 05:50:48 pm »

I've been playing DF for a little while now, and was a bit shocked not to see a Lord of the Rings mod for Dwarf Fortress in the Community Mods and utilities list.  I think I may try making it myself, but since the extent of my modding experience is the addition of [trAINABLE] tags to some of the creatures, I'd like some advise.

First off, where is the best place to start, after planning of course.  I would assume I should start with objects and creatures, since the entities seem to be dependent on them, but is there something else I should do first?

Second, I know the wiki is probably the best source for modding information, but are there any pages in particular I should read through before even starting?

And lastly, would anyone else be interested in a LotR mod, should I do a decent job with it?

Thanks!
On the Wall is a Masterfully engraved carving of Urist McHardcastle and Goblins. Urist McHardcastle is surrounded by the Goblins. The Golbins are stamping on Urist McHardcastle. Urist McHardcaste is laughing at the Goblins. The carving related to the prolonged and bloody death of Urist McHardcastle in the Fall of 1659, the Winter of 1659, and the Spring of 1660. On the engraving is an image of Cheese.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
Re: LotR Mod
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2009, 06:26:41 pm »

Deon's Middle Earth mod would be a good starting point.

timmeh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2009, 06:44:46 pm »

Ah.  I guess it has been done then.  I may do my own version anyways, since that one hasn't been updated since August last year.  Great resource though, thanks!

Out of curriosity, are the raws the same for 40D and 40D#?  If I make a mod I want it to work with the latest version, but I personally use Mike Mayday's pack, so I'm still using 40D...

Thanks!
On the Wall is a Masterfully engraved carving of Urist McHardcastle and Goblins. Urist McHardcastle is surrounded by the Goblins. The Golbins are stamping on Urist McHardcastle. Urist McHardcaste is laughing at the Goblins. The carving related to the prolonged and bloody death of Urist McHardcastle in the Fall of 1659, the Winter of 1659, and the Spring of 1660. On the engraving is an image of Cheese.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2009, 07:54:35 pm »

Ah.  I guess it has been done then.  I may do my own version anyways, since that one hasn't been updated since August last year.  Great resource though, thanks!

Out of curriosity, are the raws the same for 40D and 40D#?  If I make a mod I want it to work with the latest version, but I personally use Mike Mayday's pack, so I'm still using 40D...

Thanks!

Yes, raws are unchanged.  (except the cat "cancels dump item" bug might have had a quick fix via a very small raws change, but that shouldn't affect anything)

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2009, 12:31:23 am »

i am working on a lotr mod right now known as the hobbit mod. im waiting for toady to release the new version but still working on it. any questions?

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2009, 03:55:43 am »

Cool, I am going to convert my major total conversion mods (Middle Earth mod, Legend of Faerun mod and Fallout mod) to the new version when it comes.

However I see no point in "working" on it right now because there will be so many new features that we'll have to redo all creatures anew. I am just waiting.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Keilden

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of The Endcat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2009, 04:09:30 am »

Cool, I am going to convert my major total conversion mods (Middle Earth mod, Legend of Faerun mod and Fallout mod) to the new version when it comes.

However I see no point in "working" on it right now because there will be so many new features that we'll have to redo all creatures anew. I am just waiting.
Playing around how the new body system works will take some time to get used with I bet:) If I figure it out I might add make more stuff, just bought The World's Largest Dungeon book:)
The Endcat will end you and everything you love.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2009, 11:59:58 pm »

comes with your very own dungeon master, now bow you foolish dwarves or no beer.

timmeh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2009, 05:07:17 am »

Well, I'm obviously not alone here, but I think I'll work on it anyways, if only for the experience developing a mod.

I've run into a little trouble though, in my lack of experience.  There are two things I would like to do, one I'm just not sure how, and the other I'm not sure is possible.

First off, how would I go about forcing an entity to war with other entities, as with the orc mod.  Also, is there any way to limit this to certain factions?  I.E. Orcs always fight with men, dwarves, elves, etc, but not with the uruk-hai.

Second, is there any way to influence the use of specific creatures for use in a factions, as well as what they trade?  I would like any humans in the ROHAN entity to use horses as much as possible, and I would like to be able to influence the types of trade goods you recieve from different factions.

Oh, one last thing, I'm removing any creatures that don't really exist, and don't match up well with LotR lore, and changing them when it's convenient (the demon became the balrog, the sea monster became the "Watcher in the Water", etc).  What should I do with these:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Thanks!
« Last Edit: April 25, 2009, 06:19:26 am by timmeh »

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2009, 04:55:20 pm »

for the war part check the creature raw for personalities and influence as i believe these determine good or bad. on my part, in my testings have i once got my hobbits at war with gobbies, i win thanks to tunnels.