Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Race and Civ interactions with attributes general speculation.  (Read 704 times)

CoyoteTheClever

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

How do you think different races could interact with the new set of attributes. Here they are for reference.

http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/spoilers/101908.txt

For example, lets say on average, most kobolds have pretty low analytical ability, linguistic ability and memory, but pretty high intuition and creativity. What if though it just happened that the kobolds in a certain cave happened to spawn with higher than average analytical ability, linguistic ability, and memory? Would they set out of the cave and make a kobold camp, like in the mods? Would they develop language skills beyond their own contextual language and be able to learn say, common tongue? Would they be able to engage in trade with different civilizations with the goods they stole? Would they be able to develop their metalworking skills beyond a copper-crafting level?

What if instead, the said kobolds had their normal analytical, linguistic, and memory abilities, but instead spawned with low intuition and creativity abilities. Would they lose their normal koboldly talents at trapmaking and bugworking, or just be ineffective at them, putting traps in obvious places and not finding extra uses for bugs that a normal kobold would? Would they make terrible thieves and charge straight in towards dwarf fortresses without any plan whatsoever, leaving everything up to fate?

Obviously these attributes will have an effect on an individual, kobold by kobold basis, but should they  also have an effect on a civilization by civilization basis too, making kobold civilizations varied, though still consistent in certain ways?

Also, feel free to talk about other civilizations too, the kobolds are just an example because they are all cute and awesomelike. Also, feel free to talk about racial affinities with attributes, because that is another interesting line of discussion. Where are dwarves naturally adept in attributes and where do they falter? Can a goblin have musical ability, and what would they do with it (Aside from shrieking in the ears of their victims of course).

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Race and Civ interactions with attributes general speculation.
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2009, 08:25:55 pm »

Would they set out of the cave and make a kobold camp, like in the mods? Would they develop language skills beyond their own contextual language and be able to learn say, common tongue?

Well lets put it this way. Scientists have discovered that Humans have no greater intelligence then 100 thousand years ago.

Why would a Kobold make a Kobold Camp when a cave fulfills all their needs? Couldn't they construct settlements within the cave?

CoyoteTheClever

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2009, 01:31:51 am »

Humans might have no greater intelligence, but there were still atypically brilliant humans who have made innovations over the years, whether it was creating fire way back then or creating Dwarf Fortress today  ;D

The idea is that if you make all of these attributes have some variation, it is quite possible that you might end up with a place with smarter than normal kobolds, or humans, or whatever. Or you might end up with musically adept civs, or other sorts of strange permutations.

As for why these atypically intelligent kobolds might end up living outside of caves? Well, I read something in the kobold camp mod post that said that these kobolds were probably the geniuses of the kobold world, so it was just an example of I was using  :D. Sometimes though, caves aren't the most convenient place to live. If your entire people love gnawing on fish bones, but the only safe cave is miles away from the river, you might want to relocate. And conversely, what if your goblins aren't smart enough to know how to build those massive towers, they might want to relocate into caves. These instances might be incredibly rare, but if they could happen, it could be pretty interesting to see how they turn out, and how, for instance, a goblin cave would different from a kobold cave.

TheNewerMartianEmperor

• Bay Watcher
  • ♥She'd cut you up!♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2009, 05:38:03 am »

It seems to me that dwarfs will on average have pretty high physical and non-social stats. As for the social stats, it seems to me that dwarfs aren't the kind to have much empathy, or musicality. What do you guys think?
Once tried to conquer Earth, and succeeded! Too bad it got really, really boring, really, really fast.

One day, we shall all look back on this, and laugh. Sorry about the face, by the way, and the legs, and the eyes, and the arms. In fact, sorry 'bout the whole body.

CoyoteTheClever

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2009, 12:26:30 pm »

Empathy will definitely be low. Dwarves are hard-hearted  :D. You are right on with social and physical stats, I believe.

Musicality though? I don't know, dwarves are also a pretty roudy bunch, who probably like singing songs along with drinking ale. The fact that they can  craft a wide variety of musical instruments, even out of -stone- should mean that they should be pretty adept at music.

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2009, 05:20:51 pm »

Would they set out of the cave and make a kobold camp, like in the mods? Would they develop language skills beyond their own contextual language and be able to learn say, common tongue?

Well lets put it this way. Scientists have discovered that Humans have no greater intelligence then 100 thousand years ago.

Why would a Kobold make a Kobold Camp when a cave fulfills all their needs? Couldn't they construct settlements within the cave?
That's not exactly correct. We're only mostly the same :/

As for musical dwarfs- devoting otherwise idle dwarfs to some kind of bard task to hold back tantrum spirals somewhat could be downright spiffy.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2009, 05:22:42 pm by Shoku »
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2009, 05:33:12 pm »

I'm liking your threads.  This is fun stuff to consider!

For dwarves, I can see things like "Patience" influencing fort design, leading towards bigger and possibly lonlier fortresses in NPC places.  And obviously creativity will make more artistic places.  Below-average physical stats would make them less likely to even have elaborate fortresses.

Humans led by a line of rulers with no empathy or patience are going to be seriously messed up.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

TheNewerMartianEmperor

• Bay Watcher
  • ♥She'd cut you up!♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2009, 02:15:55 am »

I don't think it's possible for a creature to have a zero in any of the stats. Although I may be wrong, especially if you account for things like ghosts and bronze colossi. (which I see as a kind of golem)
Once tried to conquer Earth, and succeeded! Too bad it got really, really boring, really, really fast.

One day, we shall all look back on this, and laugh. Sorry about the face, by the way, and the legs, and the eyes, and the arms. In fact, sorry 'bout the whole body.

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2009, 03:42:43 am »

Civs with lower patience-score in theyr genes could be very violent. I mean Elfs without patience and lowered Social_awareness? They would siege me as soon they see that i cut wood.

Also for internal decissions it could be interresting. Said elves could change theyr leader more often then the average elven culture.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
  • Death and I, we have an understanding
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2009, 04:12:22 am »

I think all of them are only linked to skill learning speed and quality checks on rolls
Find comfort in that most people of intelligence jeer at the inmost mysteries, if superior minds were ever placed in fullest contact with the secrets preserved by
 ancient and lowly cults, the resultant abnormalities would soon not only wreck the world, but threathen the very ingerity of the cosmos