Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should Modor be a community fort or just a story fort?

Story only
- 3 (30%)
Community Fort
- 7 (70%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Author Topic: Mordor Megaproject  (Read 1987 times)

Byakugan01

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Mordor Megaproject
« on: April 23, 2009, 03:17:02 pm »

Call me presumptuous as a newbie, but looking at Dwarf Heaven I have had an inspiration form madness itself: Mordor, Dwarf style! Naturally, I am going to excavate the volcano to create mount doom, with a single magma forge-or better yet, a whole level of em'-in a tunnel in the side. Elves will be used in the production of the obsidianBlack Drawbridge Gates, naturally, and the GCS will find itself in a new lair in a mountainside passage leading to a watch fortress filled with marksdwarves. This is all plain and easy. However, while I already have plans on how to make the Eye of Armok (simply a glass sphere, with an obsidian pupil-plus floodgates on four sides so it doubles as the Dwarven Magma Eye Omnidirectional Cannon), I do not know what insanity FUN should be contained within. If anyone has found admantine on the map (saw reference to HFS), then there will naturally be a torture level filled with HFSs (for bonuses, I will use those with corrupt intentions if possible). Naturally there will be a magma moat, and the map will be smoothed except for the border mountains. The chasm...I'll work out a use for it. Being new, however, I'm afraid my imagination is lacking in how to fully maximize the fun present in the fortress. A few ideas I have which I would like to know if they are doable:
*Making the river eternally run RED with BLOOD!
*Make the eye periodcially "bleed" magma, as if the insanity is too much even for Armok to take.
*in some way, shape, or form, use elf slaves to kill their own bretheren via activation of the magma cannon-with glass windows for them to look upon what they have just done.
*Dwlves (maybe in a later version). Don't ask.
*WILL be included:a pit with a slowly rising area leading up to a single point-with a hammer dwarf stationed on top. The pit will very slowly fill with magma....
*Slave worked fields are probably out, but i just have to ask.
*If river cannot run red, then i need something to do with that brook BESIDES putting elf caravans in enforced retirement.
*Hmm...make the entire "plains" region of mordor obsidian?
Anyone got any other ideas for this project? I plan to start it after my current fortress manages to reach 150 dwarves...or earlier if i get bored.
*Take out the walls of the volcano and reconstruct it almost entirely out of floodgates. Set my entrance near said area. Let invading army come to entrance. Sacrifice a dwarf to open floodgates. Profit. Rebuild if necessary.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2009, 03:45:34 pm by Byakugan01 »
From Mr. Welch's 1350 things he is not allowed to do in a RPG:
148. There is no Gnomish Deathgrip, and even if there was, it wouldn't involve tongs.
171. My character's dying words are not allowed to be "Hastur, Hastur, Hastur"
218. No matter my alignment, organizing halfling pit fights is a violation.
231. I am not allowed to do anything that would make a Sith Lord cry.
240. Any character with more than three skills specializing in chainsaw is vetoed.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
Re: Mordor Megaproject
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2009, 03:50:46 pm »

Um... hey, that sounds great!

Is there a "gameplay question" hidden in there, somewhere?  :-\

Byakugan01

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2009, 03:54:44 pm »

Ideas if I can make this work, really. What CAN'T I do out of those ideas? The one I'm really worried about is the eye, and how I'm going to pump all the magma up into it WITHOUT scarring it. I thought I saw another megaproject thread here...wrong forum?
Fixed.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2009, 04:00:03 pm by Byakugan01 »
148. There is no Gnomish Deathgrip, and even if there was, it wouldn't involve tongs.
240. Any character with more than three skills specializing in chainsaw is vetoed.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2009, 04:04:02 pm »

(Not so much about "wrong forum" - I'm certainly not a mod, and don't care either way - but if you want brainstorming for ideas, the General Discussion subforum might be better to find answers. 

But if you want problem solving/trouble shooting before the fact, this is as good a place to start as any.)

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2009, 04:07:06 pm »

This is the most ungodly idea I have ever seen. The possibilities are endless.  It still needs more magma.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

Vactor

• Bay Watcher
  • ^^ DF 1.0 ^^
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2009, 04:09:55 pm »

one of the big things that should help you is the fact that magma can be made to act non-chunky pressurewise by using a pump, allowing you to make things that look natural and overflow, (if you have a pump elsewhere that is higher) check the wiki page on magma, i've also got a magma fountain video on dfma
Wreck of Theseus: My 2D Roguelite Mech Platformer
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=141525.0

My AT-ST spore creature http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0btwvL9CNlA

ousire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2009, 05:50:07 pm »

i love it! turning a dwarf heaven into a hideous nightmare!

you have to flood the map with magma so that it gets turned into hideous scarred wasteland. perfect for mordor!

also, dont even try to do this without having read the books. if you only have seen the movie, stop right now and go read em. all three. i swear, i was more afraid of what i read in that book then what i saw on the screen. tolkein was an awsome writer!

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2009, 06:39:41 pm »

As the founder of Dwarf Heaven, I wholeheartedly endorse turning it into a site of nightmares and horror. Also, if you promise to increase your elf slaying activities by at least 30% and post this as a story fortress, I'll give you a sponsorship deal.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

crimsonbinome22

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2009, 06:40:43 pm »

Making the river run red with blood shouldn't be so hard. Near the beginning of the brook pick 9 squares, around which you can build walls. Channel out 7 of the outside tiles (doing all 8 outside squares would be better but i think it would collapse) then wall around it. 16 z-levels above the middle tile create an animal pit, fill it with animals then use a lever (attatched to hatch cover) to drop them 16 levels onto the middle brook tile, so their body parts and blood all fly into the channeled out brook tiles. I'm not sure how far down a river blood goes, maybe you will need a couple of these along the river.
Code: [Select]
bbb
wwwww
wBbBw
wBbBw
wBBBw
wwwww
 bbb
b= brook, B = channeled brook, w = wall.

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2009, 06:50:31 pm »

AWESOME-SAUCE TOWER DESIGN
These can also conveniently double as watchtowers.  With Obsidian block bridges.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2009, 07:01:08 pm »

And obsidian statues.  And larger obsidian mini-project sculptures.

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2009, 07:17:47 pm »

And obsidian statues.  And larger obsidian mini-project sculptures.
Made out of statues.

Byakugan01

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2009, 07:19:39 pm »

Should I capture the gremlin and torment it? And is there a way to make "*elf bone thrones*"? Heck, can I choose the name of the gremlin? Because if I can, it's going to be Smeagol.

Edit: Removed insane modding ideas, because of realization I don't have a clue how to go about it. Also because they were a little TOO far out, even for DF.

Edit: Make this a community fort, or just a story fort? Either way, I'm going to tell its story on here.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2009, 03:25:50 pm by Byakugan01 »

Raz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2009, 10:51:25 pm »

One does not simply megaproject into Mordor!
"I can't wait to procrastinate!"

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2009, 11:01:47 pm »

One does not simply megaproject into Mordor!
One does not simply magma flood into Mordor!
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO