Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Quicker cursor movement  (Read 924 times)

w

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.whitehouse.gov/president/
Quicker cursor movement
« on: October 14, 2006, 11:57:00 am »

There should be a way to move the cursor quickly in situations where it reverts to "one keypress = one square".

I understand that there's a need for such fine-grained control in certain situations - e.g. laying out plots or designations - but sometimes I want to designate or undesignate a large swath.  The current "one square at a time" system makes doing this somewhat frustrating.

Perhaps arrow keys are one square, but "shift-arrow" is ten (or whatever the standard in the non-fine-grained case currently is).

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Quicker cursor movement
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2006, 01:06:00 pm »

Or when designating "Take from pile" and I want something on the other side of the fortress.  I've taken to holding down the key with on hand and surfing the 'net on my other PC with my other hand.

w

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.whitehouse.gov/president/
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2006, 01:08:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Draco18s:
<STRONG>Or when designating "Take from pile" and I want something on the other side of the fortress.</STRONG>

Right, that's the worst version of this problem that I've seen.

ctrlfrk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2006, 04:21:00 pm »

If you hold down all the numpad keys in that direction it moves slightly faster.
Like, to move right, hold 9,6 and 3.

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2006, 04:19:00 am »

The mouse could also be helpful here...  using a right-click to re-center the screen like you can with designations would let you zoom around very quickly.
We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One

herbacious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2006, 04:33:00 am »

What ctrlfrk mentioned is as so far I've seen the best method of doing this, like he said to go right, holding 9 & 3 on the numpad will actually make you zig-zag to the right at twice the speed as just holding right, because it illicits 2 key responses and ignores the set wait time you get just holding 6.