Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How would you rank your computer use skill?

I can't move or delete files. Why does this TV have words on it?!
- 1 (0.6%)
I CAN move files.
- 0 (0%)
I can add/remove programs and type.
- 29 (18.6%)
I've built a computer from parts at least once, and it works, I can set up a LAN
- 59 (37.8%)
I've overclocked my machines.
- 27 (17.3%)
I use Linux
- 40 (25.6%)

Total Members Voted: 156

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: DF Technical Knowledge  (Read 1954 times)

Guy Montag

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF Technical Knowledge
« Reply #30 on: April 24, 2009, 05:04:34 pm »

I built my own computer, but I messed up something and it fatally overheats (power shuts off suddenly) unless I open the case and have large fan blow directly into it's innards. It works though!

I really have no idea what a LAN is supposed to be, but I'm not sure what the point of having a local network is supposed to accomplish anything outside of internet cafes with COD4 or whatever running on them.

kutulu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 24, 2009, 05:06:21 pm »

I am assuming that one has to be a God-King of computers to successfully use Linux. This might not be true.

Not true, though you could add a option:

"( ) I use Gentoo (and also, I build my car from scrap iron and cows)."

to get that particular number.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 24, 2009, 10:48:45 pm »

Quote from: Guy Montag link=topic=34581.msg526887#msg526887
I really have no idea what a LAN is supposed to be, but I'm not sure what the point of having a local network is supposed to accomplish anything outside of internet cafes with COD4 or whatever running on them.

Er, or, you know, having multiple computers in the same *house*, using the same internet connection.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2009, 11:16:12 pm by G-Flex »
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

azazel

• Bay Watcher
  • Department of Redundancy Department
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 24, 2009, 10:52:53 pm »

Isn't that what you use a BD for?  :P

I kid, I kid. We only used it for a while, then we had to return it.
マグマキッド

Fetus4188

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 25, 2009, 01:57:39 am »

I use Mandriva Linux and Vista on a dual booted OC'ed desktop I built myself  :D

Don't I feel special now..
I really feel like these things are much easier than people on the "outside" think they are.  Building a computer, at least, is very easy.

Kardos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 25, 2009, 10:05:32 am »

I use Mandriva Linux and Vista on a dual booted OC'ed desktop I built myself  :D

Don't I feel special now..
I really feel like these things are much easier than people on the "outside" think they are.  Building a computer, at least, is very easy.

Until you forget to put thermal paste on your procecessor/heat sink.  Not that I did that, but I think thats what Guy Montag might of done.

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 25, 2009, 10:19:03 am »

Until you forget to put thermal paste on your procecessor/heat sink.  Not that I did that, but I think thats what Guy Montag might of done.
"might have done" not "might of" you chav  ;D

Anyways, I "built" my first PC 2 years ago. "building" is such a strong word, tho. It's more like lego for retarded kids, where no single piece can go in the wrong spot. The only problems I had were more of a theoretical nature: the manual of the motherboard was written for people that KNOW how it works.

Somebody that never ever assembled a PC will probably run into minor problems. I for one was smart enough to unwrap the mobo in the store, go through the manual and ask the guy that sold it to me all the things that still were unclear to me.

Im still incoherently rambling, because the point I'm actually trying to make is the following:

I bought a cheap core2duo back then, an e4600. Not the fastest, but -supposedly- very OC'able. And it's cheap.
Never ever did I change the heatsink or the fan, I just let the stock stuff on there, cranked the speed up by 600mhz per core, and it's happily chewing away on several millions of computations per second day in day out.

After reading up on the subject I found out that -with aftermarket cooling and more voltage- you MIGHT be able to tickle 200 more out, but seriously, if I have to spend for that kind of speed increase, I might have bought a stronger CPU right away.

Same difference, really.

tl;dr:
Probably 80% of aftermarket cooling is sold to people that want to be special  ;D Stock cooling is hella awesome on a lot of products these days, already.
Pages: 1 2 [3]