Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How would you rank your computer use skill?

I can't move or delete files. Why does this TV have words on it?!
- 1 (0.6%)
I CAN move files.
- 0 (0%)
I can add/remove programs and type.
- 29 (18.6%)
I've built a computer from parts at least once, and it works, I can set up a LAN
- 59 (37.8%)
I've overclocked my machines.
- 27 (17.3%)
I use Linux
- 40 (25.6%)

Total Members Voted: 156

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: DF Technical Knowledge  (Read 1952 times)

azazel

• Bay Watcher
  • Department of Redundancy Department
    • View Profile
Re: DF Technical Knowledge
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2009, 09:24:21 pm »

I voted Linux as well, even though I don't use it. Why?

Ignoring the first three options, I'd rate setting up a proper network a lot higher than overclocking a computer; at least these days (unless you meant setting up a standard 20-30 man LAN party/home network, obviously). Overclocking was a lot more fun (and expensive!) way back when though, but I'm digressing. However, since I've done more than only work with networks - ie, programming - I felt that Linux was probably what suited best.

The best way would be if you could select several answers (and a wider range of them as well): select option 1, 2, 3, 5 and 12 (for example). Or something.
マグマキッド

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2009, 10:06:17 pm »

Done a bit of everything, really. Have a Slackware CD somewhere in my CD rack, but I'm not using it now. Mostly, my preferred linux is Ubuntu.
!!&!!

SolarShado

• Bay Watcher
  • Psi-Blade => Your Back
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2009, 10:22:28 pm »

I went with "use linux", but i don't anymore. Haven't got around to setting it up on my almost new Vista laptop. Did use linux for some time on an old computer. Rather enjoyed tinkering with it. As someone else mentioned, I also know my way around BIOS settings.

Never tried overclocking, and i agree with those who who say it's too dangerous to bother with.

Never built a computer from scratch, haven't managed to scrape together enough cash to but all the pieces, but i have been into various computers many times.

Done some programming, both java and perl. Nothing really cool or interesting. Also know HTML and a little javascript.

I'm by far the geekiest person in my family. The only person i know who might come close is my girlfriend, not really sure what her geek level is.
Avid (rabid?) Linux user. Preferred flavor: Arch

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2009, 11:55:01 pm »

I'm using Linux right now. openSUSE 11.0, to be exact. I was even compiling a kernel module for my webcam while I was reading through this thread. I've used just about every distro out there. While this may not be the best, or my favorite even, it's one of the few newer distros that work perfectly. All of the newer ones have minor graphical glitches (Ubuntu, Fedora) or the X server doesn't run at all (Arch or FreeBSD, which is why I want to get back to one of them). I'm a computer engineering student, so I don't need a GUI. Give me a terminal and I'm just fine. My list of known languages is now up to 3 - Ada, C++, and Pep/8 assembly (although I'm doing very poorly at this last one).

I haven't really rebuilt computers from scratch, but I have ripped a few down fully and rebuilt them in working order (with but one or two spare screws). I've replaced my PSU, which is another interesting story. My new GPU had much higher power requirements than either of my dinky 110W supplies could provide, so I did the geeky thing and ran them in series, hard drive, disk drives, etc on one and CPU/mobo on the other.

I haven't overclocked and I've only dabbled with networking, but I can set up home networks if I have to.

I'll agree that the poll choices do not necessarily indicating skill. It's the same with everything else - what I find easy (command line in Linux and all that fun stuff) is different than what others find easy (overclocking or networking).

As a side note, do I use parentheses too much? It's an easy way to pass on information that doesn't fit in the sentence.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2009, 12:13:54 am »

Honestly, none of the options are all that high-knowledge.

Running Linux is different from Windows, and takes learning, but especially with certain distributions it can be easy ENOUGH to use day-to-day.

Overclocking isn't particularly complicated; the worst you have to do is install additional cooling, which is... not terribly related to general computer knowledge?

Setting up a LAN can be annoying, but a simple home network is a piece of cake.

Building a computer is mostly just making sure things work with other things and then plugging them into each other.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2009, 12:18:48 am »

Anyone who selects option 5 hates themselves and their computers.   This is cold hard objective fact don't try to argue against it.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2009, 12:41:44 am »

THIS TV IS FULL OF WORDS! WHAT'S GOING ON?

On a more serious note, i'm a 5, except i don't use Linux because i'd rather use the industry standard (being Windows).

I can use Linux though; have to, my uni uses Linux for it's servers.

Tahin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2009, 12:48:08 am »

I use Linux for everything except games, which I keep a windows machine around for.

That does not, however, make me a computer genius because it is Ubuntu and it's amazingly simple to make it do things. Usually.

Anyway, I understand the basics of programming, though I have no experience with low-level stuff. I can move files around and such, though for some reason I've never gotten around to actually building a computer, mostly because I generally have no money, being a student and whatnot.

codezero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2009, 05:05:04 am »

I voted 4. I usually use linux but it's ubuntu. I overclock but it's unstable. I'm not very good at building computers or networks, but I program in BASIC as a hobby.

Randominality

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:EAT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2009, 12:40:14 pm »

Never seen the point of overclocking, it just makes the parts more prone to damage, and it voids your warentee.
Firstly overclocking is not that damaging unless you SERIOUSLY overvolt a chip and you will only be able to do that if spend a rather large amount on an epic cooling system. However overheating is generally not much of a problem these days as most cpus have a sensor that shuts them off if they get to hot.

I dont think its pointless either - I spent £35 on a nice air heatsink that got my Q6600 from 2.4GHz to 3.6Ghz that 1.2GHz increase I would've had to pay WAY more than £35 extra to get a quad core that could do that at stock settings
Oh Gordon Freeman, what medical procedure can't you educate alien war machines about?

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 24, 2009, 12:52:44 pm »

I'm all over the place. I used to run a dual-boot windows/suse set up, on an overclocked dual core that I assembled at home... BUT I can't program to save my life, have never set up a LAN and generally don't use the comp beyond gaming, word processing, and web-browsing.
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

macdonellba

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 24, 2009, 01:53:14 pm »

I dont think its pointless either - I spent £35 on a nice air heatsink that got my Q6600 from 2.4GHz to 3.6Ghz that 1.2GHz increase I would've had to pay WAY more than £35 extra to get a quad core that could do that at stock settings
So how much faster does it actually run, ie. as measured by an actual benchmark suite like SciMark2C?

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 24, 2009, 03:05:40 pm »

I recently started running a dual-booted linux/windows computer, it feels a little inane, but actually works very well for me.

Fieari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 24, 2009, 03:30:10 pm »

I voted "Linux" in liu of "Half of a CS degree, 7 years professional PC repair experience" option.  I am familiar with Linux, but don't use it on a regular basis, since I like playing games on Steam.  Windows functions well enough for me, but I'll never touch Vista.

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 24, 2009, 04:50:46 pm »

I figure out things as they seem available/interesting and I have time/energy so I was the one who figured out port forwarding after the people I started playing games with had probably been doing lan parties for a couple of years ._.

I guess I intuitively picked up how programs tend to work by looking at things like the objects files in this game when I was little but didn't get into programming because I thought I'd have to learn to read what I can only guess was compiled code I had seen in other places, though I eventually took an intro level course in it so now I can basically program little games in Java, though I haven't felt like it at all recently.

Please get involved with my making worlds thread.
Pages: 1 [2] 3