Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How would you rank your computer use skill?

I can't move or delete files. Why does this TV have words on it?!
- 1 (0.6%)
I CAN move files.
- 0 (0%)
I can add/remove programs and type.
- 29 (18.6%)
I've built a computer from parts at least once, and it works, I can set up a LAN
- 59 (37.8%)
I've overclocked my machines.
- 27 (17.3%)
I use Linux
- 40 (25.6%)

Total Members Voted: 156

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: DF Technical Knowledge  (Read 1956 times)

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
DF Technical Knowledge
« on: April 23, 2009, 01:08:45 pm »

Select the one that best represents your skill level, even if it isn't 100% accurate.
I am assuming that one has to be a God-King of computers to successfully use Linux. This might not be true.

This is to determine what the average technical skill level of DF users is.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Pure_W

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF Technical Knowledge
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2009, 01:12:28 pm »

I voted option 4.

I once used linux, but didn't like it, prefer windows.

Never seen the point of overclocking, it just makes the parts more prone to damage, and it voids your warentee.

You really need a 'Linux!  I use PureOS!!!!!!!!111111oneone' option!

Guilliman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2009, 01:49:39 pm »

Voted option 5, I have a degree in computer informatics (I have no idea what it's called in English. Was a 2 year schooling thing.
Build my own pc and OC the hell out of it :) (Q9550 @ 3.777mhz)
I can use linux, but it's not my cup'o'thea, for me it doesnt at any advantages.

*edit, yet I cant count!

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2009, 02:04:55 pm »

I once made fire using two sticks, a string and a piece of bark. While wearing a loincloth.

I kid you not.

CynicalRyan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2009, 02:08:45 pm »

I am assuming that one has to be a God-King of computers to successfully use Linux. This might not be true.

Take a look at Ubuntu: It isn't true anymore. Unless you mean to do something odd, like actually use the OS. :P

(I know how to program, built my own computer, wasted time with Linux From Scratch, and tried to set up an SMTP server, just for kicks, so I chose the Linux option [Even though I don't use it anymore. No time to tinker anymore and to go spelunking in text config files..]. Yeah, I need a life.)

Sukasa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2009, 02:19:50 pm »

Used Arch Linux + an IRC server + services.  I prefer windows, though.

<@TRS[DF]> I'll drive this place into the ground faster than Boatmurdered

macdonellba

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2009, 03:02:59 pm »

I switched all of my machines to Linux (Arch at present) a while back. I'm not really seeing any loss from when I used Windows (except more RAM for the page cache :D), especially since dwm is superior to bug.n, I've had access to the 'innovative security features' which make Vista SP2 'the most secure operating ever' since PaX was released in 2000, and I've had access to git since its creation. On the other hand, Chrome was released after I switched, and I'm kind of missing it in terms of security features.

Anyway, Linux really isn't altogether than hard to use. There are far, far more difficult technical feats to accomplish, like writing a garbage-collected virtual machine to fit inside 64k of memory (roughly the same size as the average L1 cache.) I don't want to try to bend my mind around the work that would be required to achieve that.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2009, 03:16:45 pm by macdonellba »

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats? Check. FPS? Uh-oh...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2009, 03:13:16 pm »

The last time I got a PC (about 8 years ago now, and it still runs great), I spent the summer tinkering with the hardware and software, getting it to run just the way I wanted it.  (I hate Dell, they mucked up the installation so bad it isn't even funny.  I'd requested 98+ and the machine arrived with bloody ME!  Luckily they sent all the requisite installation disks for the programs I'd requested, and we had a 98+ disk lying around, so I could re-do everything.  I changed out some of the hardware at the same time.)
I got my new MacBook 18 months ago, built to my exact specifications, so it runs a dream without my having to do more than installing necessary new programs every so often.
I tried Linux, and wouldn't mind using it if there were a driving reason to, but between the Mac (with dual boot XP when necessary) and the Windows machine, I'm pretty well set for now, especially since I currently don't have the money to shell out on yet another new system.
If software was real world, then it'd be something equivalent of hitting a nail with a hammer and having a building collapse on the other side of town.

Don't worry people, sometimes -moments occur

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2009, 03:25:54 pm »

Currently a computer hardware student at Daytona State College.  I have taken apart and rebuilt computers, I have even built computers from the ground up but I prefer not to as I tend to have a bit of trouble making sure things like the power supply or mobo are compatible with other stuff.  Thats one of the reasons I'm taking classes.

I could theoretically overclock my cpu and gpu but like another said, I don't think it's worth the risk.  If you can afford the cooling system to allow it to overclock reliably you could afford a chip that's designed for that speed in my opinion.  I have never actually done it before, but I think I could if I had to. EDIT: Those watercooled systems look boss though.  I never tried Linux.

So I voted 4.  I would think you would have to be at least a proficient computer user to be interested in DF anyway.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2009, 03:29:01 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2009, 03:31:02 pm »

Option 4.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

Awayfarer

• Bay Watcher
  • Bork!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2009, 05:48:43 pm »

Option 3. I'm computer literate but I can't do any fancy stuff.

It's moot anyway. The woman I love has a degree in computer science.  :)
--There: Indicates location or state of being.
"The ale barrel is over there. There is a dwarf in it."
--Their: Indicates possession.
"Their beer has a dwarf in it. It must taste terrible.
--They're: A contraction of the words "they are".
"They're going to pull the dwarf out of the barrel."

Logical2u

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2009, 08:05:06 pm »

I've done some overclocking (to, uh, run Dwarf Fortress faster), know my way around BIOS, have assembled components of a computer, set up networks...

But I've never put together a computer piece by piece. I've always gotten, at the very least, the processor and motherboard mated by professionals. Everything else I can handle.

Also those little plastic fan pins are annoying as hell.

So I'm so sort of mix of the different skill levels.
This account is defunct - please contact me through other means.

Kardos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2009, 08:24:25 pm »

Voted option 5.
I've built 3 computers (will be four once DDR3 and quad cores become a little more standardized and cheaper).
And I just started overclocking my vista computer for DF.  I've gotten my 2.66GHZ dual core to 3.19GHZ using only a fan.  (processor caps at 30c and mobo at 40c with that)

Gertack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2009, 08:34:58 pm »

My work laptop runs Linux.  Whenever a company security bulletin comes out I have to start up my Windows VM, patch Windows, then shut it back down until the next rare moment I need it.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2009, 08:58:49 pm »

What option do you put if you like me WOULD use linux, and do on your laptop, but keep windows because your assembler won't run on linux, and because you are still working on getting Autodesk Maya to work on it?  :P

ok, maybe it IS ubuntu, and maybe I DID shamelessly distort some examples to make me look awesome.
Still marked the "linux" option thou.
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...
Pages: [1] 2 3