Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: Novice questions - we could make this a megathread?  (Read 7284 times)

Rezan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Novice questions - we could make this a megathread?
« Reply #30 on: April 26, 2009, 07:35:23 am »

You need a lot more than 1 TV personality on your staff, that's for sure. Try 25.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 26, 2009, 12:02:23 pm »

My group is doing pretty good, and i had already enlightened the radio personality, so i set her to promote liberalism, but the country is still turning overwhelmingly Conservative, like 9:1 here. I've got office workers and guards and the like shilling for me, do i need like 20 tv personalities or something? Also the mythril mail seems pretty good, if only i could hide anything under it :/

Office workers and security guards have no cultural influence, so they don't affect any of the issues.  You can either get more cultural sleepers, do more raids, or perform more activism/publishing.

IIRC, mythril mail is as effective as a t-shirt...
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

BigFatDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • The irony ... it doesn't burn?
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 28, 2009, 08:06:12 pm »

Yeah, the mithril mail is in-game nothing more than colored plastic rings. Think of it as your everyday g33k ware.
Though it is terribly overpriced.

This is joke, by the way:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I loaded up my save in the new version, spent a minute trying to find my archery range before figuring it was the room with Xs down both sides: bins of ammo and archery targets.
Urist McCrossbower cancells practice crossbowery: Unsure of which end of the room to shoot at.

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 28, 2009, 08:36:56 pm »

My group is doing pretty good, and i had already enlightened the radio personality, so i set her to promote liberalism, but the country is still turning overwhelmingly Conservative, like 9:1 here. I've got office workers and guards and the like shilling for me, do i need like 20 tv personalities or something? Also the mythril mail seems pretty good, if only i could hide anything under it :/

Office workers and security guards have no cultural influence, so they don't affect any of the issues.

That not exactly true. Office Workers and Security Guards do affect the popularity of the LCS, and the LCS popularity does acts "Network News"/"FM Radio" (which are basically "Liberal Media"). It does affect the issues, but indirectly, and only if Liberal Media becomes more popular than Conservative Media. You'll need Cultural Sleepers, who will not only affect all the issues directly, but will also affect the popularity of the LCS.

And fast. If society is turning more conservative, people are going to watch Cable News and AM Radio. Cable News and AM Radio shift the country more conservative, so it's a positive feedback loop. Get as many cultural sleepers as possible.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2009, 08:40:27 pm by Servant Corps »
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

Goron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 12, 2009, 10:06:17 am »

Ima resurrect this thread rather than start a new one with more newbie questions:

1) Is there any way to determine your member's 'wanted level'? Meaning, can you like go down to the courthouse and read about warrants on your people?

There are times that I have had characters commit some crimes, but I am not sure if they are wanted for them, or how bad. So I am afraid to send them out doing things. Maybe even deeper, is it possible to commit violent crimes and 'get away with it?' - or not have any warrant for your guys arrest or whatever?
This knowledge would also be handy so that, when an LCS member is confronted by the police, I could decide whether to turn him/her in or fight it out- depending on the number of charges they will face for the current and previous crimes.
Does all that make sense?

Ok, that was only question(s) 1.

2) I know I read it somewhere (here, wiki?) but what determines my follower's ability to recruit? I think its juice, so what amount specifically will let them recruit 1 person, then 2, 3, etc.?
Then, how do I promote liberals? I can get to the promotion screen no problem, and I can promote enlightened kidnap victims to go from following the kidnapper to following the leader- but lets say I want to establish a 'second in command' and put some people under him/her... I can't figure out what criteria needs to be done to promote them to a higher level so that I can then move liberals to be 'under' him/her.

3) When I kidnap someone and attempt to convert, does the person attempting to convert need to have available recruit space? I would think enlightened peeps still take up a recruit slot, but I have the 'attempt to convert' option available all the time, even when they have no 'space' for the person. Can they still convert them? Who gets command of the convert? Who's recruit slot is used?

hmm, that all for now. Thanks.

[PS, for being a conservative, this game is still fricking awesome. My liberal friends (if you could ever call a liberal a friend :-*) are always very confused when I enthusiastically talk about pressing th liberal agenda through various means of violence and coercion.]
« Last Edit: June 12, 2009, 10:10:27 am by Goron »

Rezan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 12, 2009, 01:14:56 pm »

No way to determine heat, I'm afraid.

Juicelevel determines your ability to recruit, along with leadership and charisma, if I'm not mistaken. Leadership is gained best by having your "Liberal Leader" perform missions with a full team; and have them gain XP while doing it.

Kidnapping and enlightening takes up no slots. They are brainwashed, and you can have as many brainwashed people you want. The person who gets the command is the person who brainwashed them; but you can have them do whatever you want anyway.

Obviously all CONSERVATIVE SCUM love violence; so they would like this game anyway. It's all part of our LIBERAL AGENDA.

Goron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 12, 2009, 01:21:18 pm »

No way to determine heat, I'm afraid.
Booooo! Thanks for the answer though

Juicelevel determines your ability to recruit, along with leadership and charisma, if I'm not mistaken. Leadership is gained best by having your "Liberal Leader" perform missions with a full team; and have them gain XP while doing it.
darnit, I dislike sending my founder on missions- being the good conservative liberal I am, I rather remain safe and sound back at base while I send my lackeys to do my bidding

Obviously all CONSERVATIVE SCUM love violence; so they would like this game anyway. It's all part of our LIBERAL AGENDA.
waka waka ;D

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jonathansfox.com/
« Reply #37 on: June 12, 2009, 03:05:47 pm »

I really would like a way to check the record of your Liberals, but at the moment there isn't one, and furthermore, there isn't a way to "get away" with anything you do on a site action -- if you commit the crime, it's probably on your record. Boo indeed on this count. The exception is for [a]ctivation crimes, where you're relatively unlikely to be charged unless you get caught.

To earn Leadership, you don't absolutely have to send your leader on missions, but you do need to get their juice up. Leadership experience is gained by giving your subordinates juice, but the skill itself is capped by the leader's own juice. Leadership skill can be thought of along these lines: "I'm badass. My followers are also badass. People flock to me."

[PS, for being a conservative, this game is still fricking awesome. My liberal friends (if you could ever call a liberal a friend :-*) are always very confused when I enthusiastically talk about pressing th liberal agenda through various means of violence and coercion.]

I'm glad to hear this. I like to think that the game is a satire targeting extremists on both sides; it just addresses each side differently. The Conservatives are your enemies, and are bashed frequently and overtly, but the satire against left-wing radicals is more subtle, in that the entire game is played through the lens of your people's delusions. The game itself never admits how ridiculous your people's worldview is, but I think most people can recognize it without having to make it explicit.

Rezan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 12, 2009, 03:39:26 pm »

I was under the impression you only gained a lot of leadership if you went on missions with your XP gainers? Is it of no consequence whether you go on missions with them or just send them away?

Goron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 12, 2009, 03:53:43 pm »

I'm glad to hear this. I like to think that the game is a satire targeting extremists on both sides; it just addresses each side differently. The Conservatives are your enemies, and are bashed frequently and overtly, but the satire against left-wing radicals is more subtle, in that the entire game is played through the lens of your people's delusions. The game itself never admits how ridiculous your people's worldview is, but I think most people can recognize it without having to make it explicit.
^_^ When I first read about and then played this game, I actually interpreted it as making fun of liberals through satire- with hardly any blemish to conservatives.
But as you say, that's because I only saw it from the one side (through my lens of delusions) and thus only saw the subtle satire, while surely some people only see it from the other side (through their lens of delusions) and see only the bashing of conservatism. That's whats great about this game, it just goes to show we are all F***ing crazy*.

*except me and my fellow conservatives. We are in the right- no pun intended  ;D

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 12, 2009, 03:55:42 pm »

Of course, it does get undermined when I argue with myself on how to add in new features. :p

I don't really see much satire potential in the Stalinists, for instance. Its main purpose was to prepare for new organizations such as the Radical Moderates, the Libertarians, apolitcal criminal syndicates, and the Police Advisory Board. None of which has much potential for satire except for the RMs.
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 13, 2009, 01:42:04 am »

*Ahem*

The thread has now been deconservatized. Move along.
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

Goron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 16, 2009, 12:42:27 pm »

Gah ok... soo...
After accidentally getting my two primary actors killed in an auto accident, I need help figuring out how to raise people's juice effectively.

I had one person, a former gang member, who I managed to get his juice to 52. I did it with some liberal disobedience, some stealing, and a lot of graffiti. Then, out of no where it stopped going up. It just kinda froze at 52.
Is there a max you can gain from graffiti? How about kidnapping?
According to the chart here: http://lcs.wikidot.com/juice
I should have still gotten juice from those actions, I think, but none came.

Also, how can I gain juice with my 'non-violent' people? I have a hacker who is kinda stuck cuz I don't want to go sending him to commit violent crimes. The chart on the wiki says hacking should give juice, but it doesn't.

I just wish there was a way to get juice without having to go killing people- especially since 90% of the time I go commit violent crimes, I manage to bump into a bunch of reds and one green, and if I do anythingI just alienate the green and lose out on the juice...

Anyone have tips on gaining juice?
It sucks only being able to recruit an initial few liberals with the founder, and then only one more liberal under each of those if I am even lucky enough to be able to get their juice high enough.....

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 16, 2009, 01:00:35 pm »

Most activities cap out at 50.

Breaking things, jury tampering, and combat are the main ways of raising juice past 50.

Bust machines at the factories/sweatshops.  That's what I do.

Goron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 16, 2009, 01:11:13 pm »

I normally can't get past 5 steps into the court house restricted area before the conservatives become alarmed (and I am wearing disguise) so tampering with jury is pretty much impossible unless I do it int he middle of a shootout...

Breaking things... I'll need to try that, but again, I tend to make it half a dozens steps into the site before things go awry.

And none of those are reasonable solutions for my deskjockeys, like my hackers, artists, etc.

Am I missing something, some trick, for infiltrating sites?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6