Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Imploding Mountain Experiment and Assorted Engineering Feats  (Read 1149 times)

brendanmc6

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Imploding Mountain Experiment and Assorted Engineering Feats
« on: April 22, 2009, 07:22:35 pm »

Just had to see if it could be done; that is, bringing down an entire mountain with the pulling of a lever. Thankfully, the 20 second freeze up gave me time to snap this picture!
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The immense weight of the mountain imploded the tunnels underneath ground zero, leaving me with a few massive awesomely shaped craters. Thinkin' about filling them with water.

So this is my first forum post, Ill share with you some of my engineering projects! Didn't use any guides for these.

Completed:
- Imploded an entire mountain (with no injuries!)
- That big skull you see in the screen shot
- Dug a protective moat, completing my completely goblin-proof fortress defense! Can't figure out what to do about those fucking thieves...

- Three story, self sustainable, windmill-powered waterfall to spread an enjoyable mist over my statue garden!

- Obsidian farm/ execution pit: Reusable, and magma proof design. One lever closes off access to the room- The next opens the magma flow, filling the room with magma, and frying whatever is left inside. The third lever opens up floodgates several Z-levels above, diverting my moat down a shaft and directly on top of the magma. Excess water flows into a large flood chamber, allowing the water to thin out so my miners can get to work. Simply mine it out, repeat!

-Right now I am working on a 3x2- (or 2x3, whatever, Its taller than it is wide.)- wall behind my moat, ridged with castle-style pretty golden orthoclase. This is just so that my 3dwarf view looks a little more awesome.

-And oh my god I almost forgot to mention my tribute to the gods... The most lavish tomb ever created... deep beneath a limestone pyramid... I'll post a reply about that later on!

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
Re: Imploding Mountain Experiment and Assorted Engineering Feats
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2009, 08:05:42 pm »

This requires an image of the flattened mountain so we can suggest megaprojects with it.

Also, I can't seem to find a dying dwarf in that cloud. This project was done wrong.

Other than those two dwarven issues, awesome.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

ousire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2009, 08:08:56 pm »

This requires an image of the flattened mountain so we can suggest megaprojects with it.

Also, I can't seem to find a dying dwarf in that cloud. This project was done wrong.

Other than those two dwarven issues, awesome.

it jsut means that there are many, many little dwarven pancakes under what once was a mountain :P atleast, there better be.

brendanmc6

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2009, 08:20:20 pm »

Well, seeing as I have the aforementioned obsidian farm, and my friends were just talking about Space Odyssey, I will probably be building a massive obsidian monolith where the mountain once stood. I will also ensure that my engravers understand that No, we did not implode the mountain, it was the monolith!

What else can I do with a massive outdoor flat-space?

I was also thinking of a MASSIVE upside down pyramid where the only part connecting to the ground would be a 4x4 box with a door. Shhh i'm copy writing that one.

And as a matter of fact, my attention was so focused on implosion that I forgot to watch the booze stocks. One dead baby, one dead soldier, and one very red river. Took me a while to figure out why.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2009, 08:21:50 pm »

There, THAT satisfies me.

But yes, good luck with all this. Be sure to upload it to the DFMA.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.

ousire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2009, 08:25:28 pm »

only part connecting to the ground would be a 4x4 box with a door. Shhh i'm copy writing that one.

nonono, your doing it wrong! you need an identical pyramid going UP right above the inverted one. the one on the top must be capped by the obsidian monolith, or otherwise incorperate it like some insane dwarven aztec temple

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2009, 08:44:00 pm »

only part connecting to the ground would be a 4x4 box with a door. Shhh i'm copy writing that one.

nonono, your doing it wrong! you need an identical pyramid going UP right above the inverted one. the one on the top must be capped by the obsidian monolith, or otherwise incorperate it like some insane dwarven aztec temple
"Pyramids?! Bah, we can make one of those on an inverted version of itself!"

ousire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2009, 06:01:25 pm »

"Pyramids?! Bah, we can make one of those on an inverted version of itself!"

;D

Creamcorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2009, 06:06:12 pm »

Is it possible to make liginite appear in the lining of magma pipes? Or make a volcano from bitminious coal?
"OH NO! That carp is gulping at me menacingly, even though it cannot really threaten me from here on land!  I KNOW! I'll dodge into the water, where I'll be safe!"

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2009, 06:45:32 pm »

Is it possible to make liginite appear in the lining of magma pipes? Or make a volcano from bitminious coal?
Yes, but it will do nothing. Veins only burned in the 2D version. Unless you want burning stones the second you mine a connection to the magma pipe or free fuel for flux, this is not going where you want it to go.

brendanmc6

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2009, 08:11:19 pm »

Ive watched movies on DFMA but have never upload/recorded them before. Any tips?

Regarding the pyramid ideas, I will soon begin construction on the massive inverted pyramid, stemming from the top of a pyramid I have already built. I didn't think my dwarven shrine could get any more epic than it already is.

Right now it is a 10x10 limestone pyramid, with a hollowed entrance that is lined with brass statues. Proceed to the center of the pyramid and there is a stairwell leading about 3 Z levels deep into the subterranean. This first room you will enter is a museum- a massive room, carved into hallways for maximum surface area, completely smoothed and engraved with the history of the great fort and the dwarves who once lived there. Head down the shaft another two levels, and you will come upon a large zig-zag hallway, also engraved and smoothed. At each corner of the hallway are guard dogs (there was going to be a tamed dragon but one dwarf decided his skin would be of more use). And finally, pass through the platinum double doors and take sight at the great mausoleum: platinum and gem studded sarcophaguses, statues of gold, silver, platinum, and bronze, thrones of gold, and chains of electrum. Bask in the glory of the wonderous Fongbezgemsit The Pungent Past Time, a wonderful Kaolinite weapon rack and behold Rifotsarek Blockechoed, an astounding throne of Kaolinite. All these safely guarded treasures sit atop golden Orthoclase, red Kaolinite, pretty blue Microline, and green Garnierite tiles, layed out in an electrifying design across the floor. And the sarcophaguses lay awaiting the death of the fort's great leaders, so they may rest in eternal glory.

A massive, gravity defying, inverted pyramid is all I need for my shrine to be complete.

ousire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2009, 09:21:54 pm »

Ive watched movies on DFMA but have never upload/recorded them before. Any tips?

Regarding the pyramid ideas, I will soon begin construction on the massive inverted pyramid, stemming from the top of a pyramid I have already built. I didn't think my dwarven shrine could get any more epic than it already is.

Right now it is a 10x10 limestone pyramid, with a hollowed entrance that is lined with brass statues. Proceed to the center of the pyramid and there is a stairwell leading about 3 Z levels deep into the subterranean. This first room you will enter is a museum- a massive room, carved into hallways for maximum surface area, completely smoothed and engraved with the history of the great fort and the dwarves who once lived there. Head down the shaft another two levels, and you will come upon a large zig-zag hallway, also engraved and smoothed. At each corner of the hallway are guard dogs (there was going to be a tamed dragon but one dwarf decided his skin would be of more use). And finally, pass through the platinum double doors and take sight at the great mausoleum: platinum and gem studded sarcophaguses, statues of gold, silver, platinum, and bronze, thrones of gold, and chains of electrum. Bask in the glory of the wonderous Fongbezgemsit The Pungent Past Time, a wonderful Kaolinite weapon rack and behold Rifotsarek Blockechoed, an astounding throne of Kaolinite. All these safely guarded treasures sit atop golden Orthoclase, red Kaolinite, pretty blue Microline, and green Garnierite tiles, layed out in an electrifying design across the floor. And the sarcophaguses lay awaiting the death of the fort's great leaders, so they may rest in eternal glory.

A massive, gravity defying, inverted pyramid is all I need for my shrine to be complete.

:o :o :o :o