Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Special weaknesses / strengths.  (Read 3271 times)

alfie275

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Special weaknesses / strengths.
« on: April 22, 2009, 05:24:07 pm »

A new tag:[Special:%ofdammagedone:thingthatisweak/strongto] for example weak to silver would be [Special:150:MATGLOSS:Silver] or strong to  shoes [Special:50:ITEM_SHOES]
I do LP of videogames!
See here:
http://www.youtube.com/user/MrAlfie275

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Special weaknesses / strengths.
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2009, 05:39:11 pm »

I think things having certain reactions to materials and such is a pretty obvious idea.

... But what does being "strong to shoes" entail? That's my question!
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2009, 05:53:06 pm »

It means they only die when getting hit by a thrown shoe, instead of exploding in gore, I assume...

I don't know how often you would want to have weaknesses to actual item types.  That sounds weird.  More likely you'd want a critter to be strong to piercing damage, but do that realistically.  However certain fantasy critters do have bizarre weaknesses, so...

[Special:300:color:purple]
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2009, 06:06:47 pm »

This would work wonders on the clown mod I'm working on:

[SPECIAL:120:(water data for reactions?)]

For more fun, it could be restricted to certain body parts.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2009, 11:38:28 pm »

You'll be able to do this with poisons at least in the new material system.  So you could make silver act as a contact poison for werewolves only, and they'd be damaged (however you choose) by getting silver dust on their skin.  I don't think getting stabbed with a silver weapon would cause the poisoning effects, though.

numeral

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2009, 02:58:17 am »

Could this work with weapon types? Axes stronger than swords - swords stronger than spears etc etc.
Just throwing this out there, we could come up with badass strengths/weaknesses

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2009, 02:59:38 am »

Could this work with weapon types? Axes stronger than swords - swords stronger than spears etc etc.

Best way would be messing with tissue properties to allow different resistance to different damage types.

numeral

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2009, 04:47:31 am »

Best way would be messing with tissue properties to allow different resistance to different damage types.
That would work with races but I was referring to advantages in combat only looking at weapon class(axe, sword, hammer etc).

Mondark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2009, 06:53:36 am »

You'll be able to do this with poisons at least in the new material system.  So you could make silver act as a contact poison for werewolves only, and they'd be damaged (however you choose) by getting silver dust on their skin.  I don't think getting stabbed with a silver weapon would cause the poisoning effects, though.

Actually, I think it will.  Poisoning is based off of the material, and both silver dust and a silver knifeblade would use the same material.  Or at least, it should/will when Toady gets around to it.
Fefeshnelmargalip

Keilden

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of The Endcat
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2009, 07:15:34 am »

That would work with races but I was referring to advantages in combat only looking at weapon class(axe, sword, hammer etc).

You want the game to be like Fire Emblem?
The Endcat will end you and everything you love.

numeral

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2009, 08:16:12 am »

You want the game to be like Fire Emblem?

close but not exactly, I'm not sure how exactly weapons work right now but the only difference seems to be the type of damage(blunt, pierce or slash) and the amount of damage a weapon does.
I was thinking more along the lines of if you're using an axe and you're fighting against a swordsman, you'll have a worse chance of hitting him but a better chance of doing a critical hit or breaking his weapon if you do hit as an example.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2009, 08:52:57 am »

Actually, I think it will.  Poisoning is based off of the material, and both silver dust and a silver knifeblade would use the same material.  Or at least, it should/will when Toady gets around to it.

I am not sure that it would work in the next version [it should work -of course- in the future versions at least], since the knife itself will be an item, while the "silver dust" would act like a poison...but who knows..perhaps you should ask about this in the FotF topic.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2009, 10:13:53 am »

The material still has to be delivered in a way the game accounts for.  From what we've seen of the next version, those ways are breathing the dust/mist/vapor, getting the dust/mist/liquid on your skin, or being injected with a liquid/powder.  The first two can happen from whatever's floating around in the environment, but injection requires the explicit use a creature special attack, which isn't applicable to a weapon.  So no, I don't see it working.  Could be wrong though.

Fieari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2009, 10:27:12 am »

Resistance to piercing/bludgeoning/slashing is also -definitely- in next round, just not in the stereotypical videogame manner.  You set the material strengths instead, and physics does the rest.

alfie275

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2009, 04:14:49 pm »

Maybe stabbing tih a poisoned (at alchemist's) dagger/sword would count as injecting? Aslo this injecting, will wi be getting sharp things coated in medicine for doctors to stab in people (like that needle theripy in china)?
I do LP of videogames!
See here:
http://www.youtube.com/user/MrAlfie275
Pages: [1] 2 3