Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: small adjustment to a noble  (Read 933 times)

Drakis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
small adjustment to a noble
« on: April 22, 2009, 02:49:54 pm »

passing thought...    the philosopher...   hes a do-nothing loaf at the moment...

but i think he would be a great fisherman.    sitting there on the edge of a pool with a pole, contemplating existance...

and if theres carp, well, then you dont need to worry about killing him off.

at the moment, i use dwarf manager to make all kids and the philosopher fish, as well as easilly change the jobs of groups of dwarfs

Impaler[WrG]

• Bay Watcher
  • Khazad Project Leader
    • View Profile
Re: small adjustment to a noble
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2009, 04:12:27 pm »

I figure the Philosopher should at least have some effect on other peoples thoughts/moods even if its not strictly 'useful' perhaps when he talks to people he has some chance (the higher the intelligence of the victim the higher the chance) to cause a massive shift in mood with equal probability of it being up or down.  The effect is temporary and is not going to cause those deadly melancholies but it will at least stir things up.  I can see it now "Urist has achieved profound enlightenment" and "Urist has fallen into a Nihilistic quagmire", that will be a lot more interesting.
Khazad the Isometric Fortress Engine
Extract forts from DF, load and save them to file and view them in full 3D

Khazad Home Thread
Khazad v0.0.5 Download

irmo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2009, 06:00:43 pm »

I've always liked the fact that the Philosopher does nothing useful. He's pure flavor. If anything, he should be improved in the direction of more flavor--like making funny observations about things[1], doing tasks like "Appreciating Beauty" and "Contemplating Death", or replacing some game messages with something more poetic:

Winter is upon
you. If this were the 2-D
version, you would starve.

[1] To the player. Which DO NOT provide bonuses, buffs, boosts, or benefits of any kind to other dwarves.

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2009, 04:12:14 am »

He does do something.  He always seems to change the prices a lot more than other dwarves, and I think he tries to do it in a sane, helpful manner (rather than just based on his likes/dislikes, he focuses on what's really needed.)

Maybe that's just me reading stuff into his random actions, though.
We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile