Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Artifact Specific Decorations and Mood-Differentiation  (Read 2607 times)

Craftling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Artifact Specific Decorations and Mood-Differentiation
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2009, 12:35:48 am »

And Fey Artifacts would be just plain silly

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2009, 12:38:48 am »

And Fey Artifacts would be just plain silly

Artifacts created out of pure unadulterated glee and happyness would be silly?

Craftling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2009, 09:20:49 pm »

It depends on the amount of unadulterated glee and happiness that the dwarf contains.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2009, 09:38:23 pm »

It depends on the amount of unadulterated glee and happiness that the dwarf contains.

I don't know... Bronze Roses (with Thorned Vines) being crafted onto a Sword's Guard would look great!

Craftling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2009, 11:08:32 pm »

That does sound pretty cool

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware those who would keep knowledge from you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2009, 10:44:16 am »

I love the idea of artifact-only decorations. As far as the magic arc is concerned (or even the Artifact-arc), for now, they can remain just that: *decorations*.

Glowing runes, puzzleboxes that move on their own, etc. wouldn't have a mechanical effect on the game, only a descriptive one. Mechanical powers/abilities can wait until they come into their own time, but having Artifacts with unique appearances would add to the game, without (I'm guessing) requiring a whole lot of separate coding, and (I would guess) would continue to be of interest, even after the artifact and magic arcs get here.
For they would be your masters.

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2009, 04:03:47 pm »

Glowing runes, puzzleboxes that move on their own, etc. wouldn't have a mechanical effect on the game, only a descriptive one. Mechanical powers/abilities can wait until they come into their own time, but having Artifacts with unique appearances would add to the game, without (I'm guessing) requiring a whole lot of separate coding, and (I would guess) would continue to be of interest, even after the artifact and magic arcs get here.
The problem is that I assume that in the artifact arc, an artifact's appearance is usually going to be related to its powers (say, the flaming sword catches things on fire rather than freezing them, or whatever) -- which means that the "final" artifact-appearance generation system has to wait until then.  Anything done now would just be a placeholder.
We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware those who would keep knowledge from you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2009, 07:55:23 pm »

I doubt anything will come of it until Toady does the whole job. I don't think he likes doing half measures.
For they would be your masters.
Pages: 1 [2]