Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]

Author Topic: Relgion!  (Read 12774 times)

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Relgion!
« Reply #90 on: April 26, 2009, 11:05:31 pm »

Why study advanced math if you can't know everything about it? Humans seek understanding and comfort about our world, even if neither is absolute.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: April 26, 2009, 11:27:20 pm »

Why study advanced math if you can't know everything about it? Humans seek understanding and comfort about our world, even if neither is absolute.
Because in math, if your wrong, your soul isn't spending an eternity in damnation from your creator for doing the wrong thing.  I realize that's kind of weak, but that's what it boils down to.  For the record, I have no issue with belief.  When people manifest that belief into a religion and knock on my door asking me to join or force me into "Sunday School" as a youth because someone told them I'd go to hell if I didn't... that's when I have a problem.  When people make me pay property taxes for a school built behind a church where they will be brainwashing more kids into believing that... with my money... that's when I have a problem.  People blindly believing in something that has no proof in hopes that it will be true.  I've said it before and I'll say it again.  If "God" desires that I change my life and start believing in the existence of this being, it can feel free to contact me at any time and do so.  If it were as powerful as you say it is... it will know how to prove it's existence to me without a doubt.  I have yet to have that happen.  You may say that I would simply try to explain it away, but as I said... someone so powerful would know the exact method of proof I desire.
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: April 26, 2009, 11:33:47 pm »

And if I define my religon in such vuage terms that 'damnation' is irrelevent, then where is your argument? It sounds like you qualify as agnostic, rather than atheist. It's a much more comfortable 'religon' really, no comment on everything.

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: April 26, 2009, 11:41:27 pm »

And if I define my religon in such vuage terms that 'damnation' is irrelevent, then where is your argument? It sounds like you qualify as agnostic, rather than atheist. It's a much more comfortable 'religon' really, no comment on everything.
Not really.  I've had no proof and drawn my conclusion, just as you've drawn yours.  I feel that there's no possible way "God" could exist.  If I thought that there might be a god, it would have identified itself to me.
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: April 26, 2009, 11:43:14 pm »

But why would he identify himself to you?

There were 666 views when I answered this . . .

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: April 26, 2009, 11:45:25 pm »

But why would he identify himself to you?

There were 666 views when I answered this . . .
It wouldn't, and therefore doesn't exist as far as I'm concerned.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: April 26, 2009, 11:48:18 pm »

So you've come to the conclusion that what doesn't affect you doesn't matter to you, and therefore doesn't exist within your frame of reference? Elegent solution.

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: April 26, 2009, 11:52:12 pm »

So you've come to the conclusion that what doesn't affect you doesn't matter to you, and therefore doesn't exist within your frame of reference? Elegent solution.
The real question is... why bother?

Edit:  I'm going to bed, but that's a strictly serious question.  If "God" wants all his creations to follow his example and perform the task he's given/designed them to do... why should we ask questions?  Belief that you exist because someone created you seems to me as though you've given up trying to find out more and simply acknowledge that someone else is in control of your life.  Believing that this being created all and can control all (including an afterlife if you believe in that) is predetermining your answer to "Why are we here?"
« Last Edit: April 26, 2009, 11:57:53 pm by Andir »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]