Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7

Author Topic: Relgion!  (Read 12818 times)

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
Re: Relgion!
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2009, 11:49:06 pm »

I firmly believe in scientology.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Awayfarer

• Bay Watcher
  • Bork!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2009, 07:40:10 am »

I'm nothing. I'll occasionally call myself Buddhist just because it's easier for people to accept a title.
--There: Indicates location or state of being.
"The ale barrel is over there. There is a dwarf in it."
--Their: Indicates possession.
"Their beer has a dwarf in it. It must taste terrible.
--They're: A contraction of the words "they are".
"They're going to pull the dwarf out of the barrel."

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2009, 06:49:18 pm »

@ mithra:  Clearly you don't really know that much about the bible.  It has in no place anything proving it is the word of God; it was written by man.  Anyone should be able to tell that.  Whether these men really did hear a divine being or are just claiming it in order to improve their own image is up to what sounds like the word of a divine being to you.  Maybe none of them did.  Maybe some did and some are speaking falsities.  But I highly doubt they all did.  For example, I completely ignore those sections which declare things like "thou shalt not eat the flesh of the calf with the milk of its mother" - I honestly think it was just the guy writing that having an OCD moment (I know I have them.  I just ignore them, mostly).

The chrysalis is not evil; there is no such thing.  There is a lack of morality, and there is inhumanity (a lack of humanity), but not evil.  The chrysalis is the challenges that people must go through to become stronger.  And, as stated before, many religions, such as Christianity, say that people have free will as a gift.  Could we have free will with an omnipotent being controlling us, ensuring that we did no wrong towards others?  Such a thing would be hypocritical.  Does simply giving the beggar money and sending him on his way help him at all?  It seldom does.

No, evil in the world is not evidence against Religion; there is no evidence against it.  On the other hand, there is no evidence supporting it either, so it is open to skepticism.  It is one of those things which can neither be proven true nor false.  As I have said before, it is simply a matter of belief, and you should have a good reason to believe or not believe what you do.

Now stop bashing other people's beliefs.  You have nothing solid to do so with, and they have nothing solid with which to do that to you.  It's fine if you don't believe in a religion, but saying it's wrong is an extremely close-minded view, especially when you attempt to prove it wrong.  It's like the Greek philosophers denying Democritus' hypothesis of atoms; they had no proof supporting or denying atoms (as they lacked the means to obtain it), yet they denied it, even ridiculed it, in the close-minded support of an older idea that anything could be infinitely divided and remain the same substance.  That is what all of you are doing, discussing religion in the way you are; denying something with nothing to back you up, and even without means to truly prove your ideas.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2009, 06:53:36 pm »

I've always wondered about the 'Crusades = Bad => God = Crusades = Bad => God must be evil => God can't exist => I'm right' argument.

Couldn't I do any horrendous act and blame it on someone then? Darwin told me to set off a nuke in Atlantis! He must be evil/ not real.

The butterfly/ homework metaphor is perfectly valid. If God was 'evil' why has the world measurably improved? Why are we here at all? One can't achieve any sort of moral righteous without 'evil.'
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Captain Hat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2009, 06:58:04 pm »

What? Why is this starting again? The last thread back in Life Advice got locked. This seems to be asking for it...

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2009, 07:00:45 pm »

Well, don't blame me.  I'm trying to point out just how stupid it is to try to prove a religion . . . one way or the other.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2009, 07:02:37 pm »

Im sorry.

I have full belief in the God-Emperor.

50 trillion people all cant be wrong, right?

¿

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2009, 07:17:21 pm »

Well, don't blame me.  I'm trying to point out just how stupid it is to try to prove a religion . . . one way or the other.

LegoLord, you asked what in the world it was I said to you earlier. I essentially told you not to be boring like this.

I would say yes, and that he is correct in making that assumption [that evil has no purpose].
Read Eastern philosophy.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2009, 07:50:05 pm »

LegoLord, you asked what in the world it was I said to you earlier. I essentially told you not to be boring like this.

Please.  You should know that anything else will just lead to another long discussion about religion running rampant until the thread gets locked.  Like this things have so many times before.  Don't you want to see something different happen for once?

Edit: Oh yeah, and there would be hateful comments in the thread, most likely, if you tried making a thread exciting.  Not everyone takes things the way you do, ¿.  In other words, they might be taking the discussion very seriously.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2009, 07:53:51 pm by LegoLord »
Just so I remember

¿

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2009, 08:00:37 pm »

Edit: Oh yeah, and there would be hateful comments in the thread, most likely, if you tried making a thread exciting.  Not everyone takes things the way you do, ¿.  In other words, they might be taking the discussion very seriously.
Nah. I've ran enough people into the dirt for now.

Zai

• Bay Watcher
  • Elmo? Is that a SIMPLE UTENSIL?
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2009, 08:06:13 pm »

I firmly believe in scientology.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I was really disappointed that I never got a picture of me in front of the Scientology building when I was in New York.
DEATH has been waiting for you. He has poured you some TEA.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2009, 08:31:53 pm »

When I first heard the word "Scientology", I thought it refered to some sort of "science of science" - largely because I knew the suffix "-ology" generally means "the science of".  Then I found out it was a religion, and thought:  "WHAT?".  At that point I thought it was a religion based around science.  Then I found out what it really was, and was disappointed by how it was named.

You've got to admit, it hasn't exactly got the most descriptive name of all religions.
Just so I remember

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 23, 2009, 08:42:43 pm »

Let's start a campaign to rename it:
"Guilibleology"
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 23, 2009, 08:54:52 pm »

Can you think of a word that means "the science of tax evasion, scams, and the harsh silencing of critics?"

The Mad Engineer

• Bay Watcher
  • Tock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 23, 2009, 09:34:05 pm »

I've always wondered about the 'Crusades = Bad => God = Crusades = Bad => God must be evil => God can't exist => I'm right' argument.

Couldn't I do any horrendous act and blame it on someone then? Darwin told me to set off a nuke in Atlantis! He must be evil/ not real.

The butterfly/ homework metaphor is perfectly valid. If God was 'evil' why has the world measurably improved? Why are we here at all? One can't achieve any sort of moral righteous without 'evil.'

*Twitches.  Darwin != Atheist Jesus/God.  He was a scientist.  Just like Einstein and Newton.  Stop trying to equate scientific theories to philosophical and religious beliefs.

Oh, and the world has improved.  The voice of the church is no longer as strong as it was in the dark ages.  Reason and civilization has gained hold.  The world has improved, because of Man.  Not because of his creator.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7