Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Today One...ever played UnReal World?  (Read 4841 times)

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
Re: Today One...ever played UnReal World?
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2006, 10:04:00 pm »

Okay, so, I downloaded the demo and tried it.

The window didn't fit on my screen, and the music was annoying.   It didn't close when I hit escape so I had to CTRL-ALT-DELETE.

How lame    :( I wanted to at least try it.

EDIT:  It seems that for some reason hitting edit is bringing me to quote myself endlessly?   Very strange.  Let's see.

EDIT EDIT:  Reopening Firefox did the trick.
[ October 12, 2006: Message edited by: Capntastic ]

[ October 12, 2006: Message edited by: Capntastic ]

GauHelldragon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2006, 10:34:00 pm »

it's not so much that the game is kind of shabby, but the fact that he charges 4 times as much as the base price for "all future versions"

lol for 40 dollars i could buy a REAL video game

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2006, 10:41:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by GauHelldragon:
<STRONG>
lol for 40 dollars i could buy a REAL video game</STRONG>

And even then you'd be getting screwed most likely  :(

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2006, 10:55:00 pm »

A lot of people like the game, and I suppose that's when you play it as a survival game, which it is.  Just not my thing...  I headed out to search for caves in the mountains like some kind of moth.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

karnot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2006, 12:02:00 am »

Now do you see what you have done ?!!!
Toady got addicted ! Oh, brother...

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2006, 12:05:00 am »

Well, that part about the caves making the game die cured any productivity decrease.  I suppose I'll have to program all day tomorrow.

karnot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2006, 12:37:00 am »

lol, yay !

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2006, 12:38:00 am »

The fates won't have anythng distracting you!

Also, I'd be willing to give this a decent try if I could figure how to make the game display properly.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2006, 12:55:00 am »

I'm running at 1280x800, and the window pops up nicely.  Seems to be 800x600ish itself, or something.

Skyrage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2006, 02:41:00 am »

Meh - forget about the survival bit or whether the whole game is good or bad or perfect (name one game that is perfect - such a thing doesn't exist) - all that is up to personal taste and preference - what I was refering to particularly was the crafting/item/skill systems which perhaps would fit rather nicely in a game such as DF - most likely with a couple of alterations here and there of course.

John Hopoate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 13, 2006, 07:18:00 am »

I played the UnReal World demo and all I have to say is that it has nothing on either the Dwarf Fortress Alpha or Gearhead. It's an interesting concept but this this Sami character is kidding himself if he thinks that he can every make money out of roguelikes.

Well I mean, you could make money strictly speaking, I'd like to think that the Bay 12 crew will get at least enough donations to pay for the web hosting once DF becomes mainstream. The fact is though that if you're smart enough to write a game like this, you're smart enough to earn much more money with a real business or a real job.
http://www.jmp.fi/~smaarane/urw.html" class="bbc_link" target="_blank">http:// http://www.jmp.fi/~smaarane/urw.html

Sami comes across as a pretty bitter and desperate individual in this announcement, maybe not the sort of person I'd want to employ if I were headhunting for programmers.
I get a mental image of someone cursing the fact that he hasn't spent the past 16 years smuggling tax cheap booze over the Russian boarder. If he wrote the game as an exercise in self publicity, charging money for it was the worst thing that he could have done and not just because he severely limited the size of his audience.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 13, 2006, 12:14:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by John Hopoate:
<STRONG>
Sami comes across as a pretty bitter and desperate individual in this announcement, maybe not the sort of person I'd want to employ if I were headhunting for programmers.
I get a mental image of someone cursing the fact that he hasn't spent the past 16 years smuggling tax cheap booze over the Russian boarder. </STRONG>

I had a big long-winded post about why his business model was stupid and flawed, but it could be best summed up in a single line:

"Oh, so you paid ten dollars and liked the game, but want the 'I crash everytime I enter a cave' bug fixed?  That'll be another ten bucks please."

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 13, 2006, 12:59:00 pm »

I don't agree with the pay model, but I think people are getting a bit harsh.

In any case, I like writing computer games, and Sami probably likes writing them too.  I don't understand "real business" or "real job" in this context.  If DF were marketable would all the work I've been doing the last several years become "real"?

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 13, 2006, 02:22:00 pm »

I'm not saying he's a bad guy or anything; I just think that if you love your work, you'd want to deliver a quality product (for free, or for a fair price), and not charge for better versions.

The culture stuff in the game seemed neat enough, though.  I was really hoping I'd get to see more of it in action; but I could hardly figure out how to interact with things.   I may eny up playing a bit later.

Solara

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 13, 2006, 03:52:00 pm »

I'm a sucker for games with involved crafting systems, so I love URW.  :) I've been playing the heck of the demo for the longest time, My favorite is playing the escaped slave in winter...that and butchering an entire town. Literally. (Yay cannabalism!  :D)  and I'll probably cave and buy it as soon as I get the extra cash. (Especially since it's a lot cheaper now.)

I can't really speak for the graphics since I've been using the fanmade one off the forums for as long as I've been playing, but I've never had any trouble with crashes and the like.

I used to post on the forums now and then, and the restrictions there are fairly recent. I can't remember the details, but I believe they were added to control who had access to updates, since Sami was having a problem with another site ripping off the game. Just another case of a few unethical people ruining things for everybody else.

[ October 13, 2006: Message edited by: Solara ]

Pages: 1 [2]