Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Farming suggestion  (Read 476 times)

Fermii

• Bay Watcher
  • I Am The Stig.
    • View Profile
Farming suggestion
« on: April 22, 2009, 08:57:06 am »

I currently find the selection of booze unreasonable for dwarves, a race who are chemically dependent on alcohol.  Either ll of the current plats should be distillable, or we need more plants.

Cave tuber: grows all seasons but winter. Makes: Dwarven vodka. same value as other dwarven liquor.

Dwarven hops: is an additive to alcohol.
Dwarven whisky, dwarven lager.
Also there should be cave grapes/ undergrouond vine, because mushrooms turning into wine doesn't make sense. Maybe it will be the dwarven lager?

I also think the system for brewing should be like cooking, you can add spices, flavourings and colourings, to make your dwarves happy, and make beer a tangible trade good. The quality of alcohol should either be added, or unhidden (Urist Delrunos has had a fine drink lately, Cog machalite has had a pretty decent drink lately.
Tell me what you think about this idea.

profit

• Bay Watcher
  • Finely Crafted Engravings... Or it didn't happen.
    • View Profile
Re: Farming suggestion
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2009, 11:12:05 am »

This is a very commonly mentioned suggestion.  But yes the alcohol system could use a little work.   I think it's planned just on hold until some meat and potatoes changes like the underground diversity and game mechanics are finalized.

PS. Can you make the topic "Alcohol diversity suggestion" or something since it has little to do with farming. * just click modify and change it =)
Mods and the best utilities for dwarf fortress
Community Mods and utilities thread.

BlazingDav

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Farming suggestion
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2009, 12:04:01 pm »

Shame a more industrial approach such as vats cant be taken with alcohol, but then it depends on the appropiate technique anyone would have at the dwarves technological point, though it would be cool to make alcohol another liquid and then make huge tanks of beer etc. and drown your enemies in it XP

though i doubt the elves would be impressed

but certainly the tastes of dwarves would need to be altered if you increase the variety of alcohol so that your workforce would appreciate any alcohol they get *nobles would ignore attempts to change their psyche i imagine*, only getting a minor happy thought for getting thier favourite tipple, though a mechanic that the expectations of your workforce changes as population increases and new nobles arrive would make sense i guess =/

edit: a little research and it seems more industrial approach wasnt until the early modern era, though i cant find anything on how the Romans did it and they were the first industrialists in my opinion =P