Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Problems with custom trainable creatures?  (Read 721 times)

Mogul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Problems with custom trainable creatures?
« on: April 22, 2009, 08:54:13 am »

I decided recently to expand my selection of bloodthirsty animals to make arena fights more entertaining by adding [PET] and [trAINABLE] to several interesting creatures.

I kept a War Fire Imp dubbed "Mountainfinger" in a small pit so that I could extract iron from all the goblinite I had, and between when I let him out to gather the iron and attempting to put him back in, he disappeared from the animal list. A quick check confirmed he was still alive, merrily hanging out at my meeting hall with all my slackers. In the units list he was labeled as hostile, but he was quite friendly with my dwarves.

About this time, an elven caravan came along. They reach my trade depot and unpack and my broker is moving to the depot to trade. Out of nowhere, Mountainfinger runs out of the meeting hall and starts flinging fireballs, resulting in a hilarious sequence where elves fled panicking around my fort with fireballs zipping past them. By the time the imp finished off the last of the elves, he was promoted to 'Mountainfinger the Legendary Councillor'.

While this was a fun and safe way to make elf bones, I'd prefer it not unexpectedly happen to my critters, especially since I can't move them once they've gone wild.

Spoiler: Fire Imp (click to show/hide)

Edit: I guess I forgot to state the actual question. Does anyone know what causes this and how you stop it?
« Last Edit: April 22, 2009, 09:14:27 am by Mogul »

Shakma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Problems with custom trainable creatures?
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2009, 09:21:43 am »

No, the question is how you START this happening.

Darekun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2009, 11:30:58 am »

This isn't really in the raws or anything, it's the "blooded" mechanic. Once a creature has killed a sentient, it can't be properly tamed. You can tame and even train it, but it'll remain hostile on the unit screen, and still kill anybody it feels like. They can still be relatively peaceful - for example, elephants don't start fights often - but if they aggro or get aggroed on, they'll start killing. I think even killing goblins is enough to blood an animal... Though it's possible that once trained they can't be blooded.
Darekun likes iron, cobalt, alicorn, cut gems, elves for their comparative advantage, and goblins for being an iron-bearing ore. When possible, she prefers to consume tea, cow meat, and Bacon Salt. She absolutely detests pasture creatures.

nicholasneko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2009, 12:55:06 pm »

wouldn't the [LARGE_PREDATOR] tag be causing that?

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2009, 02:14:52 pm »

This isn't really in the raws or anything, it's the "blooded" mechanic. Once a creature has killed a sentient, it can't be properly tamed. You can tame and even train it, but it'll remain hostile on the unit screen, and still kill anybody it feels like. They can still be relatively peaceful - for example, elephants don't start fights often - but if they aggro or get aggroed on, they'll start killing. I think even killing goblins is enough to blood an animal... Though it's possible that once trained they can't be blooded.

To expand:  AFAIK this is because, upon hurting and/or killing a sentient, the creature is flagged an enemy of that civilization.  This causes (mutual?) hostility between the two.

I think this may still be exploitable in Adventure mode.  The trick goes something along these lines:  Become the enemy of your own civ then later retire in one of that civ's towns.  Bring another adventurer to that town and laugh as a civil war breaks out.  I've never done it myself, so I'm not sure if there's more to it than that.

Mogul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2009, 06:33:55 pm »

War dogs will happily tear apart goblins and still remain loyal to your dwarves though. The imp was tamed before he killed anything and has never hurt a dwarf. (In fact while chasing the elves he was able to throw fireballs through dwarves with no ill effect)

Tigershark13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2009, 06:49:42 pm »

congrats you have an awesome xenophobic imp?

Michaelsoftman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2009, 09:36:34 pm »

Sounds like an awesome Anti-Elf device!

Now you can get all of their trade goods for free :)

Creamcorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2009, 10:02:52 pm »

Sounds like an awesome Anti-Elf device!

Now you can get all of their trade goods for free :)

That's if you can get all of their trade goods before they burn to ashs. Than again I'm not quite so sure if you're refering to elven bone rings.
"OH NO! That carp is gulping at me menacingly, even though it cannot really threaten me from here on land!  I KNOW! I'll dodge into the water, where I'll be safe!"

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2009, 11:50:17 pm »

Has that fire imp hurt elves before? If he did it might have set him as an enemy of the elven civ, but not the dwarven. Are you sure that he hasn't attacked a caravan before?
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Mogul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2009, 12:18:04 am »

I'm sure.

I caught him as soon as he popped out of the volcano, and he spent his time deep in my fortress happily burning goblins, far away from the caravans.

It wasn't until I let him out and he went rogue in my meeting hall that he developed a taste for crispy elf snacks.