Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Jet as a gemstone.  (Read 1323 times)

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Jet as a gemstone.
« on: April 22, 2009, 03:42:29 am »

In the real world, Jet is often used as a gemstone (and has been for a long, long time in the past.)  Perhaps gemcutters should be able to convert jet to gems?  It could require several blocks of jet and only produce a few little pieces of jet jewels depending on their skill, but it would still be nice.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2009, 03:44:34 am by Aquillion »
We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One

Enzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Jet as a gemstone.
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2009, 04:44:23 am »

...why would it take several blocks of jet to produce a few jewels? I mean, I understand why from a gameplay balance perspective but unless I'm missing something fundamental about jet it just seems impossible to justify.

I see what you're saying though. I do think the material values for stones are getting a little dated, with everything at a flat cost except ores and flux (even coal?). +Mudstone throne+ and +Jet throne+ are the same price  :P
« Last Edit: April 22, 2009, 04:45:56 am by kinseti »

Bricks

• Bay Watcher
  • Because you never need one brick.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2009, 08:20:49 am »

How about any stone as a gemstone?  Jet should definitely have a value bonus in that respect, but it'd be nice for producing a variety of goods decorated with otherwise unused stone or ore.

Or, just do what some mods do, and add gem-quality jet clusters to jet deposits.
EMPATHY - being able to feel other peoples' stuff.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2009, 11:46:15 am »

How about any stone as a gemstone?  Jet should definitely have a value bonus in that respect, but it'd be nice for producing a variety of goods decorated with otherwise unused stone or ore.

Traders actually do bring items decorated/encrusted/whatever with totally mundane stones.  It might be a bug, or maybe Toady just forgot to add the "Decorate with stone" option in Fortress Mode.

Fieari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2009, 12:09:21 pm »

A decorate with stone option would be nice, although I think polishing regular stones into gemstones would also be a good method.  I'd prefer to see both done-- decorate with stone would use the stone's value and the craftdwarf's skill alone, while create gem from stone would put the jewler's skill into play for an additional quality bonus.  Just make sure the base value of real gems is high enough, and there won't be a problem.

Heck, this'd give a JOB to all those jewlers I keep getting from the mountainhomes.

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2009, 09:23:27 am »

Oh.  Obsidian as a gemstone would make sense, too -- it's been used that way in reality, and, after all, a big chunk of it is essentially similar to raw glass.
We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One

Impaler[WrG]

• Bay Watcher
  • Khazad Project Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2009, 02:25:14 pm »

I've modded 'Fine Jet' as a gemstone occurring in Jet, I think other people have done so independently as well.
Khazad the Isometric Fortress Engine
Extract forts from DF, load and save them to file and view them in full 3D

Khazad Home Thread
Khazad v0.0.5 Download

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2009, 04:11:24 pm »

Whitby Jet :3
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

Techhead

• Bay Watcher
  • Former Minister of Technological Heads
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2009, 04:23:49 pm »

I think Jet should also appear in small clusters inside of lignite veins.
Engineering Dwarves' unfortunate demises since '08
WHAT?  WE DEMAND OUR FREE THINGS NOW DESPITE THE HARDSHIPS IT MAY CAUSE IN YOUR LIFE
It's like you're all trying to outdo each other in sheer useless pedantry.

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware those who would keep knowledge from you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2009, 11:08:30 pm »

I second (or third, or whatever) the "decorate with stone" idea.

Also, how about different *natural* quality levels for specific stones/gemstones, determined when they're actually exposed to the air by a miner?

Maybe a randomization of value, based on the current value levels, but ranging from say 10% to 250% of those, so that a given emerald might be worth anywhere from x4 to x100, with an average of 40?

There might even be a little additional description to indicate how crummy or how choice that specific stone is.

Along with that, having gems range in carat-size *before* the gem-cutters get their hands on them, as well as after, would also be nice.

(The increases in size involved wouldn't normally be great enough to allow you to, say, build a throne out of emerald, but certainly emeralds that large *have* been discovered, so it's not an impossibility, just very unlikely. Maybe size could be more or less open-ended, with extraordinarily large gems of *any* kind being extremely rare. Quality increases in value might also be much rarer, as gem size increases, with very large gems typically being of low quality, with extremely large, high-quality gems again being almost impossible to find.)

Gem-cutters might then be able to cut those gems, with a loss in size/weight based on their skill level, and we might also see more than one cut gem coming out of a single uncut stone (with the possibility for us to be able to indicate and order what sizes and specific cuts of gem we'd like to have, limited by the skills of the gem-cutters available to us.).

You could then find a very large, but very poor quality emerald that was worth double the normal value due to it's size, but only worth 10% of the normal value due to it's quality, giving you a stone with a value of x8 (20% of average value.).

That emerald could then perhaps be cut into 2 large gems that would each have a value of 80, or maybe one huge gem (if your gem-cutter was up to the task) that would be worth 160, or possibly even more, if bigger and bigger cut gems were given a higher value (which would make sense)--and which would require higher and higher skill levels.

Stones like jet etc. could fall under the same system, with large, high quality stones commanding a greater value.

If jet has a value of say 2, an especially fine piece might be worth as much as 250%, or 5. With a size increase, that might reach up to, say, 10 or even 20, giving it the same value as many "ordinary" gems.
For they would be your masters.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2009, 11:30:06 pm »

The thing about using arbitrary rock as gemstone is that they'd need to have some kind of gem value multiplier.

After all, two equally-valuable rocks don't necessarily make equally-good gems.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2009, 11:50:02 pm »

That doesn't seem too terribly difficult. Maybe time-consuming, but kind of a natural thing to come out of the game.

It's not even anything that we'd need Toady to do for us, I don't think?

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2009, 11:55:59 pm »

Of course it would. You currently can't mod in the ability to turn rocks into gems.

And if you could via a smelter reaction.... then it still wouldn't work.

Item type and material determine value (aside from quality considerations). If two stones are worth the same amount, then two raw gems of those materials are necessarily worth the same amount as well, even if one of those stones logically makes more sense for gemwork.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2009, 02:24:03 am »

I don't mean the code parts, obviously. I just mean figuring out which stones are likely as a decorative choice, and then deciding their value.

That's something we could just figure out, like we'd figure out a Mod, once the code is in place for it to happen.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2009, 02:29:19 am by SirHoneyBadger »