Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The running and the dying.  (Read 802 times)

Slackratchet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
The running and the dying.
« on: April 21, 2009, 09:05:27 pm »

Something, somewhere on my map died, I don't remember seeing a message about it so it wasn't one of my guys but now one of my peasants dies *somewhere* in a vain attempt to save the first guys left sock, or shin bone, or Pig Tail Shirt or whatever, and that's my first clue something is wrong.  Now people keep running outside and dying to whatever killed the first guy. I can't even find the first dead peasant because now that he's dead I can't zoom to him. It's driving me crazy, I can tell them wholesale not to collect garbage outside but nothing else? Is there any way to stem this dwarf hemorrhaging?

Gauphastus

• Bay Watcher
  • y hello der
    • View Profile
Re: The running and the dying.
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2009, 09:28:21 pm »

You might be able to go to your stocks screen (press z) and go to the bottom of the list. There's a corpses subsection.
Hopefully your records are up. If you have less than ten corpses, you should be able to hit tab. You'll see the corpses of your dwarves.
Select one, and zoom to it.

In the meantime, use the orders screen to tell dwarves not to go outside.

After you find this location, forbid everything in that area, corpses and clothes all. Then allow dwarves to move freely again.

That's how I roll.  8)

hillburra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2009, 09:35:34 pm »

also you can press 'u' to go to the units screen and scroll down to the deceased units and you can zoom to their corpses
'b' is different than 'x' and a Bed doesn't hold back magma as well as a Floodgate no matter how fast you type.

Slackratchet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2009, 09:58:15 pm »

I never noticed a Corpse section to that menu. Nice!

What about when my Bonecarver runs out to the middle of no-place to get a bone?

Rockphed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2009, 11:51:40 pm »

also you can press 'u' to go to the units screen and scroll down to the deceased units and you can zoom to their corpses

Nope.  Impossible.  If it were that easy, nobody would ever have figured out the workaround.
Only vaguely. Made of the same substance and put to the same use, but a bit like comparing a castle and a doublewide trailer.