Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Lets make Toady's wiki page!  (Read 2004 times)

Dasqoot

• Bay Watcher
  • He-wenching for the cause.
    • View Profile
Re: Lets make Toady's wiki page!
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2009, 12:56:00 am »

This time last year, the DF wikipedia page was about 200 words in a stub. I'm just happy it's got a nice full page now. Heck, even LCS has a nice page now. I'm not sure what the requirements to make one of those redirect categories are, but that would be helpful too.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2009, 01:40:02 am »

It's odd that the LCS article makes no mention of Oubliette.

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2009, 12:22:34 pm »

Toady is notable for:

Dwarf Fortress
Liberal Crime Squad
I'm voting for myself
WWI medic
The amazing feat Dwarf Fortress is
Shares a name with the Adams family
Likes toads
Best indie game ever

I say this warrants a Wikipedia article.
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm suffering from an acute case of Hominini Terravitae Biologis. Keep your distance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2009, 12:49:40 pm »

If we want a Toady One Wikipedia page, we need to make it a campaign. They aren't opposed to one, but you have to prove the value in it.

Some things Toady has done:
Doctorate in Mathmatics
Instructing at a School
Programming several different kinds of games
Took a risk of quitting a job to become a full time programmer based only on donations during an economic slump, and is successful (so far)

So, we have some "notable" achievements, but none strong enough. But we have to beat David Braben. we are close, I think, but until DF is released, I don't think we are there yet.

(Edit: On reconsideration, I think he might be, if combined with Bay 12 Games. we can create one and make the other one redirect. If we say he/It is notable for Dwarf Fortress, which has inspired a cult following, I think we can avoid deletion.)

(Edit 2:
Possible references to Tarn Adams:
RPRR <- Is not a "Notable" Source.
Gamasutra <- An Acceptable Reference.
Dubious Quality <- Is not a "Notable" Source.
Indie Games Blog <- On a page about "prolific or high-profile indie game developers", Possible reference in establishing Notability.
Independant Gaming Source <-Another possible reference establishing Notability.

You will note that all the "possible sources" have a place in other wikipedia articles. They are recognized as sources for news regarding things. It still isn't mainstream enough, but it is probably enough to take it out of instant delete and get it deleted from the CFD page instead.

Dwarf Fortress, by contrast, is pretty well known. It is only a matter of time, but it might not be the time yet.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2009, 03:09:33 pm by Kogan Loloklam »
... if someone dies TOUGH LUCK. YOU SHOULD HAVE PAYED ATTENTION DURING ALL THE DAMNED DODGING DEMONSTRATIONS!

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2009, 02:21:00 pm »

Look, what you're really looking for here is a profile on MobyGames.  Not Wikipedia.

One common criteria for notability is appearing in mainstream media, or even science media or entertainment media.  Not interviews on the internet.  If there's an article in a medium that people pay money to subscribe to, it's on the road to notability.

Getting a PhD might be notable in your hometown, it might even be notable in your large city.  If there was a newyorkapedia, for example, it might make sense to have a stub article for everyone with a PhD and what their thesis was on.  But on a wider scale like Wikipedia's, that's just not even notable.

Also, Wikipedia has a HUGE problem with "wiki articles as advertisements".  When a community creates an article for something the community is based around, it tends to get looked at pretty hard, and the standards for notability rise a lot.  Even if it's not a flat-out ad, there's kind of a vested interest there...  And it's often more useful to the community than to anyone else.

I think one good rule is that something you make an article for should be perpetually notable.  If you've got an article about your garage band, but the whole group broke up tomorrow, well, nobody would care at all...EVER, probably.  That article shouldn't exist.  If Toady stopped working on Dwarf Fortress right now and decided that his life's calling was to raise goats. in ten years DF would largely be forgotten.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

jaked122

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Lurker tendancies]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2009, 04:48:55 pm »

I thought that this was on the DF wiki, I'd make a page for him on wikipedia, but due to my antics... I'm already close to being banned.

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2009, 07:55:24 pm »

I am giggling about the article being deleted within hours of being written.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2009, 08:20:55 pm »

When a community creates an article for something the community is based around, it tends to get looked at pretty hard, and the standards for notability rise a lot. 

Yeah, and rightly so.  These kinds of articles tend to read like blowjobs.

Rusty Mcloon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2009, 08:25:35 pm »

Gentlemen,

This is the complete DF Wiki page on the Toady One:

Toady One (or just Toady) is the nickname used by Tarn Adams, co-designer and programmer of Dwarf Fortress. He can be reached at About Bay 12 Games or the Bay 12 Games Forum.

The other designer is Zach Adams (ThreeToe), his older brother.

This is HERESY! Oh healer, heal yourself! If thou canest not create a Wiki page worthy of the Toady One on the DF Wiki, how canest thou consider creating a page worthy of him on Wikipedia?

Can we do no better than this? This is OUR Wiki! Let us describe his greatness and glory in non-privacy infringing detail!

Cles

• Bay Watcher
  • I need some Cave Spider silk parachutes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2009, 09:59:18 am »

[...]non-privacy infringing detail!
I don't think you understand what it is we are trying to do here.

I kid, I kid.

Theoclymenus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2009, 10:53:31 am »

I am going to have to say that I agree with the various posts to the effect that this is a bad idea. I don't believe wikipedia's purpose is to have thousands of pages about individual people who have a 'cult' following.

Now, you say that LCS and DF both have their own pages? Why not set up a Bay12 page and have it link to each game. Writing about an organisation is much more likely not to cause whatever poses for admin on wikipedia to raise their hackles.

In a Bay12 page you could have a paragraph for Toady and overall it would be possible to write more relevent information than could be crammed into a page simply about Toady.

Just my opinion, of course, but I don't think there are many good examples of pages about one person unless they have done a substantial amount of stuff. Things that you would put on a CV to get a job (I'm looking at the doctorate and the work teaching) are really poor things to justify a wikipedia page. Where do you draw the line? Should I write a page about myself because I have done volunteer youth work? Or because I happened to also offer a lending hand running the sound system of a church. No... that would be terrible.
Pages: 1 [2]