Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Lets make Toady's wiki page!  (Read 2010 times)

MoatMan

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_EXIST]
    • View Profile
Lets make Toady's wiki page!
« on: April 21, 2009, 06:56:14 pm »

So I looked up Tarn Adams on wikipedia and I was surprised to find he didn't have a page.

So lets make one! I've made a really basic mock up to get the ball rolling but I'm sure there are those far more knowledgeable or stalking Toady One that could add and improve.
I mean I've only listed Dwarf Fortress among games and haven't even mentioned Scamps

So lets get to it.
Spergs 4 life.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
Re: Lets make Toady's wiki page!
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2009, 07:26:14 pm »

I'm so sorry.

The wikipedia editors are going to crush your hopes and dreams :(  They are really quite cruel sometimes.

I'm saying this because most professional game designers/programmers with several titles to their names don't have a page, and pages would be nuked if they were created...  So just warning you what you're up against, but good luck.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2009, 08:18:54 pm »

Yeah, I see no reason why there needs to be a wiki page for Toady.   Bay 12 Games, maybe.

Kardos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2009, 08:21:38 pm »

From what I understand of what I read on the wiki rulebook for making articles about people; you only need to state the importance of Toady's work (that is, he is one of the few, (probably only) people working on making a full scale procedurly generated game world.  And that when completed, will most likely completley revolutionize the gaming industry.

Not to mention that companies would probably start paying out the ass to get a look at the code to jumpstart their own procedural projects.  Toady you clever bastard. 

¿

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2009, 08:24:48 pm »

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2009, 08:29:00 pm »

From what I understand of what I read on the wiki rulebook for making articles about people; you only need to state the importance of Toady's work (that is, he is one of the few, (probably only) people working on making a full scale procedurly generated game world.  And that when completed, will most likely completley revolutionize the gaming industry.

There are two problems with this.

• If Toady is only notable for Dwarf Fortress, then a page for him doesn't matter, only a page for Dwarf Fortress (by wikipedia standards, and common sense too really).
  • The "when it's finished [...] most likely [...]" part is going to get you laughed out of there. If wikipedia allowed content based on what we predicted about the future... well, let's just say it doesn't.

That being said, DF itself definitely deserves an article, and I'm pretty sure it already has one. Not sure how good it is.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2009, 08:55:40 pm »

"Has a large fan base or a significant "cult" following."

that should have been enough to prevent deletion because he's a person.

Oh well, just 20 minutes of coding his wikipage to look cooler gone with the delete button...

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2009, 09:02:11 pm »

Generally speaking, though, if someone is only notable for a single thing, then there's not as much reason for them to have their own page, unless there's something notable about him that DOESN'T have to do with that one work.

Link to the deletion discussion?
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2009, 09:04:25 pm »

This thread looks like it could get really weird really fast.  I hope it doesn't go in that "Toady Norris jokes" direction.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2009, 09:07:18 pm by LegoLord »
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2009, 09:08:37 pm »

it was deleted as soon as I posted in that.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2009, 09:10:28 pm »

it was deleted as soon as I posted in that.

Deletion discussions don't get deleted, ever, as far as I know. It doesn't matter that the article did.

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2009, 09:31:22 pm »

Wouldnt toadys doctoral thesis make him important enought?
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats? Check. FPS? Uh-oh...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2009, 09:34:32 pm »

In case you guys hadn't noticed, there is already a very complete (from my quick skim through) wiki page featuring DF.  I don't think Toady needs his own page.  After all, he'll forever after be known is Toady One the Great, the man who single-handedly programmed DF (with help from Zach and his loyal fans, of course).
If software was real world, then it'd be something equivalent of hitting a nail with a hammer and having a building collapse on the other side of town.

Don't worry people, sometimes -moments occur

MoatMan

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_EXIST]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2009, 11:28:36 pm »

Well crap that was fast.
I get back from class and BAM.

Well hell.
Spergs 4 life.

Dasleah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2009, 11:36:13 pm »

Wouldnt toadys doctoral thesis make him important enought?

Not even close. If said thesis was the basis of something notable, then he'd warrant a mention, sure. But the act of writing a doctoral thesis itself is hardly notable to Wikipedia. There's millions of Doctors in the world.
Pokethulhu Orange: UPDATE 25
The Roguelike Development Megathread.

As well, all the posts i've seen you make are flame posts, barely if at all constructive.
Pages: [1] 2